Free beach near dock

anonmom

My fiancé and I will be on the NCL Escape for our honeymoon in December and we're looking for a nice public beach near the port. It is our first time to St. Thomas, so we don't want to go to another island and we don't want a long cab ride.

Basically, our priorities are:

1. Near the dock. Within walking distance would be best, but a short cab ride would be fine. I don't actually know if there is more than one port on St. Thomas, but we are docking in Charlotte Amalie.

2. Free. We'll buy lunch and souvenirs, but we don't want to pay a cover charge.

3. Good snorkeling from shore. Doesn't have to be great. We're not very experienced, so as long as we can see something pretty, we'll be satisfied. We do own our own snorkel gear, so we don't need equipment rental.

4. Local restaurant with WiFi. We don't want to go to any chain restaurants. Something reasonably priced, with fresh, local food would be perfect.

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Forums mobile app

I believe the closest beach to the Havensight dock where NCL usually docks ( December port schedule isn't available yet) would be Morningstar Beach at the Marriott Frenchman's Reef resort. It's about 2 miles away and would require a short taxi ride. There isn't a cover charge for entrance or use of loungers. Marriott has wifi but not sure what the access would be for non-staying guests on the beach. While there's kayaking and SUPs there, I'm not sure what the snorkeling environment is like. A little further away is Sapphire Beach which is also free access but as I recall you need to rent loungers. The snorkeling there is great, Calm water. Lots of fish (they love Froot Loops, so bring a box or two from the ship.) Great views. The Marina there has rentals, restaurant, bar. But really good local places in Red Hook if you wait until you're ready to leave. Not sure about wifi as most of the resorts there are condo types.

Yes I believe the Escape docks at Havensight which is to the east of Charlotte Amalie, the main town. Crown Bay is the other port and that is to the west of CA close to the airport. Here's a map that is helpful in seeing where the different beaches are in relation to the ports -

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/st-thomas/maps/st-thomas-island-road-map.html

All beaches are free except Magens and Smith Bay Park which have an entry fee. We've not visited the Marriott at Morningstar but I had assumed they charge for the use of their lounges/umbrellas?

For good off-the-beach snorkeling you'll want to taxi to one of the nicer East End beaches. Taxi is $20pp round trip (or $4pp round trip using the $2 bus if you aren't in a hurry, you can find more details by using the Search function) and you have a few great beach options including Sapphire, Coki, and Secret Harbor.

Our choice would be Sapphire Beach which is home to 3 condo properties, is less crowded than the other 2 options, and there are no vendors. Lounge rentals are $9, and Sapphire has lots of natural shade. Decent restrooms and good food and drink options with a small beach bar. Sapphire has a rockier beach area where you swim out for the coral, a sandy swimming area, and a sea grass area where you may spot a sea turtle or ray if lucky. It can get a little crowded by the sandy swimming area on busier days, but there is usually room to find a nice shaded spot by the water where it is rockier. Here is a webcam and a nice drone video that was recently updated -

http://www.sapphireinthesun.com

Coki is a much smaller beach with good snorkeling, it tends to get very crowded there and is a livelier or busier vibe with several vendors vying for your business.

And Secret Harbor is also a small bay, typically very calm with lounge and umbrella rentals and a nicer beach restaurant than the other beaches offer.

Whatever beach you choose PLEASE do not bring anything to feed the fish with.