Taking jewelry onboard

DoniaG

Suncat. I always travel Princess on over 7 day cruises and never had any problem taking my good jewellry.I only wear it in the evenings at dinner ,then it goes in the safe.

My old mum says 'Whats the use of having decent jewellry if you have to keep it locked up and never wear it,you might as well not own it'

Lots of the ladies wear the good stuff on board, and many others the imitation stuff.

One should bring what one feels comfortable wearing.Its all safe in the safe when not worn. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Suncat:

You know what? Don't take anything "HIGH" (more than $500) of value with you on a long trip.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My BW is going to be without jewelry then!!!! She doesn't own anything that she normally wears that is less than $500....and her fancier stuff is even more.

We've gone on a bunch of cruises, never had any problems of any kind with the wearing of nice jewelry...what she wears on her ring finger alone is close the the GNP of some of the islands we've visited.

icon_biggrin.gif Just kidding about that last sentence.... icon_cool.gif It does get some attention wherever she goes, but she seems to like that...

Oh, there is one problem - she doesn't like to go in the big pools because there is suntan oil on the surface and it sticks to her diamond...gets it dirty...

Ernie

See our AOS 04/24/2005 webpage and the AOS 04/24/05 ROLL CALL

1989 Dawn Princess - Eastern Caribbean

1990 Dawn Princess - Alaska Pictures

2001 RCCL Voyager of the Seas - Western Caribbean Pictures

2002 RCCL Radiance of the Seas - Alaska

2003 Star Princess - Mexican Riviera

2004 Tahitian Princess - French Polynesia Pictures

2005 RCCL Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean

2005 Coral Princess - Pacific Coastal ROLL CALL

"Ridiculous to take any SERIOUS jewelry---look around - mostly we cruise to countries that are so poor compared to us...who are you trying to impress??..for goodness sakes - cruise to SEE not be SEEN!!"

---------------------------

If you won't wear your "serious" jewelry on a cruise ship, where would you wear it? I think everyone is smart enough not to wear it in port, but to think that there is something inherently wrong about wearing jewelry, that it's wrong "to be seen" -- that I don't get.

I like seeing jewelry on formal night. Go ahead, ladies, impress me.

By the way, if you don't trust your room safe, you can usually get a box in the main safe at the purser's desk.

I have a travel jewelry bag I put all my jewelry in and yes I take my good stuff. I don't wear it off the ship only onboard and I keep it in my carry on until I get onboard and then it goes in the safe. I have never had any problems! Unfortunately for DH I have bought more pieces while on islands especially St. Marteen!!

4/9 2005 Dawn Princess

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2005;4;9;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

I have always taken my jewelry with me in a travel jewelry bag that I carry in my carry on. I take my good stuff and when I get on the ship I put it in my safe. I don't wear it off the ship except for my wedding ring and another ring. I have never had any problems!! Unfortunately for DH

I have been known to buy more jewelry especially when I am in St. Marteen!

4/9 2005 Dawn Princess

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2005;4;9;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Thanks, dimonzr4me - I think your name says it all! Love it! Donia

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."

I've always used a small travel jewellry box that has a couple of built-in soft velvet bags, ring and earring holders, and a place with little hooks for necklaces and bracelets. I take my good stuff and my so-so stuff. I've always left in in my cabin safe - along with my Passport - and have never had a problem. The only thing I ever wear off the ship is my watch, which fits into my plastic water wallet. When I go to Europe, South Pacific, etc., I wear one pair of earrings, one so-so necklace and pendant, and my watch the whole time. I enjoy dressing up for formal nights on cruises (and even formal/casual) , which is why I will bring along the good stuff. Never had a problem. BTW - do the safes in the Princess cabins use the magnetic stripe or a 4-5 digit code? Thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by imsulin:

BTW - do the safes in the Princess cabins use the magnetic stripe or a 4-5 digit code? Thanks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Dawn and Coral have 4 digit codes (and btw, definitely double check the safe before you leave, the linings on some of them are loose and things can slip under - I usually keep my jewelry in a small make up bag when I go ashore or to the pool. Rest of the time, I wear it icon_wink.gif

I leave my bling in the safety deposit box at my local bank. It is too hot to wear jewelry in the Caribbean and diamonds with a swim suit just scream nouveau riche anyhow.

doris

"I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine"--Caskie Stinnett

Elation 10/20/02

Paradise 9/21/03

Pride of Aloha 6/07/04

Star Princess 10/24/04

Hi, Diamonds are for Me, Also,

Our Best Friends - One can Never have too many. I, also, have realized that Cruises are for (besides cultural, historical, & geographical education of oneself) discovering the precious Jewels indigenous to the regions. I bought Puava (Mother of Pearl) in NZ and Opals in Oz, and I intend to invest in some Black Pearls in Tahiti. I also buy the indigenous perfumes and liqueurs. So different in all the different ports.

Imsulin, I do the same as you. I would think that most of the Ladies do the same. The safe has a keypad where you set your combination upon arrival to your Cabin. It is quite safe - I think that's why it's called . . . A Safe.

If Pax are worried about lugging around their jewelry and looking after it - Fine - you can admire Ours.

A Smile is just a little curve that sets a lot of things Straight.

Fair Winds and Following Seas!

Thanks, Princess Di! I've used cabin safes that have had keys, the magnetic strip, and the 4-digit codes. I prefer the code, so I'm glad that Princess uses them. I agree with you...I bought several very nice black pearls in Fiji and my husband brought me back some nice Russian opal earrings and a bracelet, as well as loose rubies (still don't know how he found them in Uzbekistan!). I also have a very nice collection of stacking Babushka dolls, and several hand-painted lacquered boxes. I've got some Irish pewter jewellry and several Wedgewood rings from England. My greatest prizes are some great old pawn Navajo and Zuni silver and turquoise squash blossom and fetish necklaces, and Zuni needlepoint and Navajo bracelets and rings. I would never wear any of this jewellry with a bathing suit - that would be pretty stupid - but I do wear my "good stuff" at dinner on my cruises....usually before we reach the Saints Thomas and Maarten. It's never too hot in those dining rooms.

I, too, have taken my good gems on all of our cruises and never ever had a problem. HOWEVER, icon_eek.gif when I am on the various islands, the gems stay in the safe. There's just no way I'm going to announce my presence with my jewelry.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2005;04;02;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

OUR NEXT ONWARD JOURNEY!

Archived