Wheelchair port to town centre Bergen

chemmo

We will be visiting Bergen shortly on the Eclipse. We believe we are mooring some distance from the main town and that a shuttle bus then takes you to a car park not too far from the town centre. We have also read that there is a minibus for wheelchair transfers that goes to the town centre.

We have emailed Bergen tourism but not had a reply. Anyone know if there is a minibus, if my husband and son will be able to travel on it with me, do we need to prebook?....

Would greatly appreciate any information.

We've been to Bergen 3 times and moored in two different places.

The first was a commercial port, where they provided wheelchair accessible and normal shuttle buses into the centre of town for free. The only problem was that the wheelchair buses were school transport and they never came back when arranged. A dozen and a half wheelchair and scooter jockeys milling around and elbowing each other out of the way when one of them eventually pitched up wasn't a pretty sight. I complained to the cruise line, who replied that they were at the mercy of the local operators, so tough luck.

The other two times we moored at the end of the harbour. An easy 20 minutes or so to wheel into town, through a park and past the old timber houses and shops. Easily within reach of the fish market, the funicular and the main shops. I hope you tie up there, because it will be so much easier.

Wherever you are, take a brolly or a coat. We had three wonderful sunny days but the town itself gets about 250 days of rain a year.

We've been to Bergen 3 times and moored in two different places.

The first was a commercial port, where they provided wheelchair accessible and normal shuttle buses into the centre of town for free. The only problem was that the wheelchair buses were school transport and they never came back when arranged. A dozen and a half wheelchair and scooter jockeys milling around and elbowing each other out of the way when one of them eventually pitched up wasn't a pretty sight. I complained to the cruise line, who replied that they were at the mercy of the local operators, so tough luck.

The other two times we moored at the end of the harbour. An easy 20 minutes or so to wheel into town, through a park and past the old timber houses and shops. Easily within reach of the fish market, the funicular and the main shops. I hope you tie up there, because it will be so much easier.

Wherever you are, take a brolly or a coat. We had three wonderful sunny days but the town itself gets about 250 days of rain a year.

Sincere thanks, Chunky.

We finally got an answer today from the Bergen site to say the minibus will not be available the day we are in port. We are looking at a variety of options. We want to just do the funicular...unfortunately the X excursion ties it in with a walking tour! (and we have lots of OBC to spend!) I am a newbie wheelchair (and hopefully a temporary) user and finding it all a bit of challenge!

Re the weather, we have packed layers as we did for Alaska...we should also have one of those big umbrellas in our suite so I might end up on YouTube as a wheelchair Mary Poppins if it is windy too!

Sincere thanks again for replying to my post.

Sincere thanks, Chunky.

We finally got an answer today from the Bergen site to say the minibus will not be available the day we are in port. We are looking at a variety of options. We want to just do the funicular...unfortunately the X excursion ties it in with a walking tour! (and we have lots of OBC to spend!) I am a newbie wheelchair (and hopefully a temporary) user and finding it all a bit of challenge!

Re the weather, we have packed layers as we did for Alaska...we should also have one of those big umbrellas in our suite so I might end up on YouTube as a wheelchair Mary Poppins if it is windy too!

Sincere thanks again for replying to my post.

If you plan to do the funicular on your own DO IT FIRST. Go there as soon as you can get of of the ship.

We went there early and got right on, maybe 15 people in front of us. No line for tickets. About two hours later when we came down the line waiting to go up was out of the building and half way down the block.

If you plan to do the funicular on your own DO IT FIRST. Go there as soon as you can get of of the ship.

We went there early and got right on, maybe 15 people in front of us. No line for tickets. About two hours later when we came down the line waiting to go up was out of the building and half way down the block.

Thanks, we are looking at possibly pre booking an accessible seat for my wheelchair if we can, we believe there are 4 per trip. If we can't I can walk a bit and fold my chair but it would make life easier. Any idea how easy it is to get a taxi at the port in Bergen? Can you arrange for a taxi to pick you up from the ship or would I have to get on the general shuttle first and then get a taxi from their drop off point, we believe we are at the port further out of town...

The alternative is to wait until we board and see what excursions and the Michael's Club host can sort for us....I have also looked at some private tours but they are more than we want to be doing....I am very aware if it is cold, no matter how I wrap myself up I will want limited time outside. Booking just the funicular and a taxi there and back may be our best and easiest option.

Thanks, we are looking at possibly pre booking an accessible seat for my wheelchair if we can, we believe there are 4 per trip. If we can't I can walk a bit and fold my chair but it would make life easier. Any idea how easy it is to get a taxi at the port in Bergen? Can you arrange for a taxi to pick you up from the ship or would I have to get on the general shuttle first and then get a taxi from their drop off point, we believe we are at the port further out of town...

The alternative is to wait until we board and see what excursions and the Michael's Club host can sort for us....I have also looked at some private tours but they are more than we want to be doing....I am very aware if it is cold, no matter how I wrap myself up I will want limited time outside. Booking just the funicular and a taxi there and back may be our best and easiest option.

When we were there the cruise ship docked at the end of the port, just beyond the fort, not in the commercial terminal. From there most just walked in to town (about 10-15 minutes flat walk, with the funicular about another five minutes (slightly up hill). Not familiar with the commercial dock location.

I can second what RDC1 says. We went straight from the ship to the funicular and got up straight away. There's a separate line for wheelchairs, a lift and a platform to board by chair without problem.

Once at the top it filled up very quickly with Chinese tourists plus what seemed like the entire contents of a Costa ship. Getting a decent photo was horse work. By the time we came down the queue to go up was two deep, maybe 40 yards long. Get there early!

Eclipse is due to dock at Jekteviksterminalen 2, in the commercial dock. As suggested do the funicular first, it can get very busy later on.

Think I would go for the taxi option, gives you more choice, depending on the weather..

As Adammara said, unfortunately we are scheduled for the commercial port, if it was the more central port my husband and son would just get a good work out pushing me!...So has anyone moored in this commercial area and been able to pre book or just get a taxi off ship or do we have to get on/off the general shuttle bus first. I think I can manage to do this although it isn't ideal...

Sincere thanks again to all who have contributed to my queries....

We took this cruise in 2013 and it was wonderful. My husband decided to take his scooter from the ship which was docked near the fort. He found it difficult going. Although there are curb cutouts, there still is a lip that he could not maneuver so he went back to the ship. A wheelchair may be easier as your pusher is able to tilt the chair to get up over the lip.

We liked this cruise so much that we took the Hurtegrutin cruise in January 2015. The stops on the Celebrity were touristy with plenty of shops selling to cruisers. The Hurtegrutin was not touristy at all to the point that I found it difficult to find souvenirs. Since it was after Christmas I was able to get Norwegian Christmas things more than half off! It was interesting to see how people live in northern Norway when the winters are 10 degrees with only a few hours of twilight during the day.

We took this cruise in 2013 and it was wonderful. My husband decided to take his scooter from the ship which was docked near the fort. He found it difficult going. Although there are curb cutouts, there still is a lip that he could not maneuver so he went back to the ship. A wheelchair may be easier as your pusher is able to tilt the chair to get up over the lip.

We liked this cruise so much that we took the Hurtegrutin cruise in January 2015. The stops on the Celebrity were touristy with plenty of shops selling to cruisers. The Hurtegrutin was not touristy at all to the point that I found it difficult to find souvenirs. Since it was after Christmas I was able to get Norwegian Christmas things more than half off! It was interesting to see how people live in northern Norway when the winters are 10 degrees with only a few hours of twilight during the day.

Your memories are making me even more excited, thanks for sharing!

:) My pleasure. Oslo has a lot of nice shops near or right on the pier. If you see something you like get it as ports don't all have the same things. Take the ferry to see the old Viking Ship museum. Near by there is an out door museum with recreated old Norwegian homes and churches. Some are the actual original buildings that they moved there. If you are going to buy one o those knitted hats with the braids hanging down the sides, check to see where it was made. I almost bought one that was made in China. Found one in another port with the Norwegian label.