NCL Newbie- Teppanyaki

Jen708

Hi! I'm going on an Alaskan cruise (my family's very first cruise) in August on NCL Pearl with my parents and my younger brother who is going to be 13 at the time of cruising. My parents and I greatly enjoy the food offered at Teppanyaki (as we have been to similar places at home) and we love the show the chefs put on, so we would love to dine there on our cruise. The only problem is, my younger brother is very picky about what he eats, and as much as he would be captivated by the showcase, he would most likely want to order off of the children's menu.

As this is a controversial topic, we would most likely make a reservation for an earlier time, but I'm just curious as to how you personally would react if you saw someone like my younger brother at Teppanyaki ordering off of the children's menu. We haven't made a reservation yet obviously, and are still deciding whether we should make a reservation so your feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Personally, I wouldn't pay a bit of attention. What's your concern? Is it because of his age? If NCL allows him to order off the children's menu then he's free to do so. It doesn't matter what other guests think about it--it's up to NCL. :)

Thank you for the feedback! It's just the fact that I've seen a few threads criticizing parents who bring kids to teppanyaki just for the kids to order off of the kids menu.

The main complaint was just that since teppanyaki has such limited seating, kids who are going to order off of the kids menu shouldn't really be there. I really appreciate your perspective so thank you!

We just had a party of 9 there aboard the Jade that included 2 kids (3 & 5) ordering off of the Kids Menu , no problem.

An older kid ordering off the Kids Menu is strange , but certainly can be done.

Just tell them to forget the placemat & crayons .

Oh for heaven's sake! I agree with Trip--if someone has a problem with it it's their problem. If the restaurant allows it, it's fine. Yes, the seating is limited, but what are you supposed to do? Send your 8-year-old to the buffet and the rest of the family can eat in Teppanyaki? It amazes me sometimes what people choose to be offended by. LOL. Have a wonderful meal with your family and don't worry about what others think!! :cool:

agree, not sure why you should care.

ive seen adults who cant have their food cooked on the hibachi due to allergies. not sure why tehy would waste the money to go there, but their decision and it doesnt affect me as the hibachi chef focuses on cooking everyone elses food. the special order arrives when it arrives and its not really the chef's problem.

Thank you so much to everyone for your encouraging responses! Especially for how fast you all responded,this community truly is amazing. My family and I really appreciate the feedback so thank you very much! 😁

In January we went to Teppanyaki with our family, including 6 adults and 2 kids.

The youngest, age 3, ordered from the kids' menu.

It never crossed my mind that it might be something people would criticize -- but then, people can find fault with pretty much anything.

Go and enjoy!

Oh for heaven's sake! I agree with Trip--if someone has a problem with it it's their problem. If the restaurant allows it, it's fine. Yes, the seating is limited, but what are you supposed to do? Send your 8-year-old to the buffet and the rest of the family can eat in Teppanyaki? It amazes me sometimes what people choose to be offended by. LOL. Have a wonderful meal with your family and don't worry about what others think!! :cool:

Ditto to that! Not a problem.:halo:

I agree with comments that do what you want to do and don't worry about what others think. It's your cruise, enjoy it. However, don't be surprised if he wants to eat it. My kids were also picky at home (I made a yummy roast and they wanted cereal for dinner) but they shocked me on a cruise and tried things like sushi, salmon etc. Why not cuz they can order something else if they don't like it.