What is a category upgrade?

moongal

I have a question that I have never been able to find the answer to or how this works.

When I go into the booking online and its time to select the "deals" what does it mean when it lists "2 category upgrade?" I always try to choose past guest offer with 2 category upgrade, and then I go to the part where you select what section and then what deck and then your room. I have always just picked the room I wanted (balcony) but where does this 2 category upgrade come into play?? I've never been switched out of any room that I selected, so I'm assuming it doesn't have to do with the room? Do you get upgraded service?

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. I really don't travel much at all.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not a stupid question. Actually confusing language.

It means that within a specific category such as Ocean View, Balcony, etc. the price you are being charged for the cabin you choose may be the price for a cabin two steps below your cabin, within the same category.

There are some exceptions and you can see clearly on Carnival's Fare Viewer site what is happening. If, for example, you choose an 8E balcony cabin, you will be charged for an 8C cabin which is less expensive. Both are balconies but they may be on different decks or on different parts of the ship.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!! I have been wondering about this for a while now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You're welcome. Go to Fare Viewer and enter your cruise information. They make clear in their table what is a little difficult to explain.

It also helps if you look at deck plans for your ship to see the various cabins that are available in each category and where they are.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.