Dizzyness After Cruise.

katiecoos

Does anybody suffer dizziness after cruising. I have just got back from a cruise and feel like I am still on board. I have found this only happens if we have a bit of a rough crossing, other times I have cruised when it has been calm and never had any effects. Sometimes this feeling goes on for one or two weeks, would be interested to hear if anybody suffers with this problem.

After my 2nd cruise, which was extremely smooth by the way, I felt the dizziness bad for over 4 weeks. I eventually had to go the doctor and start taking seasickness meds. I do not experience seasickness while on the ship, but I now take seasick meds every day of the cruise to prevent this from happening again. As a result it only took about a day for it to clear up after my last cruise.

I believe you are all detoxing. After 7 days of eating rich foods and very sweet desserts, your body needs to adjust back to normal living :D .

Your conditions are called MDD (Mal de Debarquement). After getting off the boat, or "debarking" (debarquement), you develop a rocking sensation, as if you are still on the boat. The rocking sensation may persist for months or even years. Most people seem to have it for a month or less though.

I found it strange though....on the roughest cruises I've had, the effects only lasted for about a day. The last cruise I took, I had to keep looking out of the porthole to be sure we were moving - it was that smooth - the WHOLE cruise. I suffered post-cruise seasickness for about 2 weeks!!! What gives??

This happened to my DH after our honeymoon cruise and the doctor told us he had "land sickness"!:D Basically, it takes a while for your equlibrium to get readjusted to being on land. It lasted for around a week with him. The other thing the doc said is that if he was wearing the seasick patch, he should keep it on for a day or two after returning home to help prevent the land sickness from occuring. I hope you get to feeling better soon!

It's what the old sailors used to call "getting your land legs back". Once your system has adjusted to the movement of the ship, it has to re-adjust to not moving on land. I've come closer to seasickness upon return than I ever have on board. I do wear the patch while on board, and continue to do so for a while upon return (It seems like I even remember that the instructional pamphlet even indicates that you should do so.

So if I start to take travel sickness pills now, do you think they will work or is it too late, will I have to just wait until it goes.:cool:

Go ahead and take them. It will help alleviate some of the symptoms. Next time you cruise, take a light dose each day and you shouldn't suffer at all when you return.

I believe you are all detoxing. After 7 days of eating rich foods and very sweet desserts, your body needs to adjust back to normal living :D .

Your conditions are called MDD (Mal de Debarquement). After getting off the boat, or "debarking" (debarquement), you develop a rocking sensation, as if you are still on the boat. The rocking sensation may persist for months or even years. Most people seem to have it for a month or less though.

yippy, I was right. What is my prize. We deal with a lot of those people in our therapy center.

Archived