Boat tour in Geiranger, Norway

tuft

Hi,

I hope this isn't a silly question but I'm going to take a chance and give it a go!

We are taking a cruise through the Norway fjords in August. One of the ports is Geiranger, which is supposed to be stunning. We were considering taking a boat tour in the fjord to get a closer look at some of the waterfalls, etc. Does this make sense or would we basically just be recreating the sail in/sail out?

Thanks for any opinions and/or ideas on how we should spend our time.

Peg

We did the RIB tour on our Fjords cruise 2 years ago. I can't recommend this highly enough. Absolutely amazing, went right to the edge of the Fjord, underneath the waterfalls. Yes you sail back past these on sail away but getting so close to all the beauty spots was amazing.

We booked direct with Geiranger tourist attractions but depending on how many ships are in port you may just be able to book on the day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

I hope this isn't a silly question but I'm going to take a chance and give it a go!

We are taking a cruise through the Norway fjords in August. One of the ports is Geiranger, which is supposed to be stunning. We were considering taking a boat tour in the fjord to get a closer look at some of the waterfalls, etc. Does this make sense or would we basically just be recreating the sail in/sail out?

Thanks for any opinions and/or ideas on how we should spend our time.

Peg

Hey Peg...are you leaving 8/26? Because we're on that cruise as well....and I booked the fjord cruise after cancelling the one dutchclogs took because I have a problem with twisting mountain roads. I booked it on line and they sail from the same dock (so they say) we put in. I know we'll probably see a lot of the same vistas on our way in and out, but so much of what you see depends on which side of the ship you're on at any given moment and you're likely to be sharing rail space with a large number of passengers, all of whom want the same pictures I do!!!

Thank you all for taking the time to respond to my question. Now we have a few options to consider. No matter what we decide to do I'm sure it will be a wonderful experience!

Peg

Hey Peg...are you leaving 8/26? Because we're on that cruise as well....and I booked the fjord cruise after cancelling the one dutchclogs took because I have a problem with twisting mountain roads. I booked it on line and they sail from the same dock (so they say) we put in. I know we'll probably see a lot of the same vistas on our way in and out, but so much of what you see depends on which side of the ship you're on at any given moment and you're likely to be sharing rail space with a large number of passengers, all of whom want the same pictures I do!!!

Hi Hydrokitty,

We are indeed sailing with you on 8/26 and I believe you are with us on the Baltic cruise departing 8/13 too. These are two wonderful itineraries and we are happily anticipating a great time!!

Peg

Hi Hydrokitty,

We are indeed sailing with you on 8/26 and I believe you are with us on the Baltic cruise departing 8/13 too. These are two wonderful itineraries and we are happily anticipating a great time!!

Peg

Yes, we are...we're flying Virgin Atlantic from JFK to LHR on 8/12 arriving 8/13. You? I see you're our Northern neighbor....are you flying from Boston?

E-mail me at chydro564@yahoo.com if you'd like information on the tour I booked. I promise to respond but I'm having terrible time with yahoo since I downloaded Windows 10 so it might be a few days till I get the message. :)

We opted to take the regular tourist bus up to a vantage point overlooking the fjord. I also recall there is a chocolate shop in a converted boathouse which may provide a nice souvenir or gift.

Yes, I remember this :D. Wouldn't have missed it for the world - the views from up there were stunning. The ride up was very interesting too :o. Think we've been 3 times now to Geiranger and wouldn't hesitate returning (one of my DH's favourite places ;)). For those continuing on the Baltics cruise, you're in for a treat.

We also did the local but to the top of the mountain, on same cruise as villiack. At first my husband, who has fear of heights, looked up the mountain and said no way, but last minute decided to come ( with eyes closed on way up). Once there said it was worth it. Just amazing views. We had booked this on line ahead of time.

We were on the Constellation and the captain did a 360 to view the falls as we were leaving.

Enjoy!

Vicky

Yes, we are...we're flying Virgin Atlantic from JFK to LHR on 8/12 arriving 8/13. You? I see you're our Northern neighbor....are you flying from Boston?

E-mail me at chydro564@yahoo.com if you'd like information on the tour I booked. I promise to respond but I'm having terrible time with yahoo since I downloaded Windows 10 so it might be a few days till I get the message. :)

Hi neighbor! We are flying Norwegian Air from Boston to Gatwick on 8/10 arriving 8/11. We are traveling with another couple and will stay in Southampton for two nights preceding cruise. While in Southampton we plan on taking the train to Winchester for a nice day trip. Should be fun.

If you don't mind, I am going to e-mail later regarding your trip details Thanks!

Peg

In Geiranger we did a boat tour

http://www.geirangerfjord.no

In Stavanger did a tour with Rodne Fjord Cruises - we booked the boat round the fjord - 3hrs but they also do a walking tour to Pulpit Rock (8 hours so not sure if ship is in long enough).

http://www.rodne.no/sightseeing-en/l...d-sightseeing/

I would do these trips again in a heartbeat.

We are on the same cruise, is there a minimum age for the RiB tour?

There was a time when we would have booked the RIB in a heartbeat!!! But alas, now I'm more concerned about throwing my back out! I would check the excursions on the X page...they're pretty accurate about listing,although I do dispute the way they rank excursions....I did one in Canada that was rated easy and I thought I would die...and I did one that was rated strenuous and it was no problem!

Hi neighbor! We are flying Norwegian Air from Boston to Gatwick on 8/10 arriving 8/11. We are traveling with another couple and will stay in Southampton for two nights preceding cruise. While in Southampton we plan on taking the train to Winchester for a nice day trip. Should be fun.

If you don't mind, I am going to e-mail later regarding your trip details Thanks!

Peg

Look forward to it...we're traveling with DH's cousin and my best friend but she'll be arriving a day ahead of us. We'll have full day in Southampton between cruises and I'm hoping they have a laundromat!