Cuban Cruise Review - May 1st, 2017 - The very FIRST Norwegian sailing!!!

CTCruiser001

sounds very akin to customs in st. petersburg. although there we didnt do the metal detectors at disembark.

Hey BostonGal35,

I grew up in Hyde Park and Bermuda was my first cruise. Wish you were going to Cuba with us! Have a great time on your trip(s).

That sign says 1.03 for a USD. But there is a star note at the bottom mentioning 10%. Did you exchange USD and what did you get?

In his second post, the OP mentions going to AAA and ordering Euros to exchange for CUCS.

Several months ago we had searched high and low for a private excursion to do while in Cuba. When we originally booked, there were no details of what Norwegian would be doing for Shore Excursions, so we were quite blind looking for ideas. We found many reviews on Trip Advisor which eventually led us to finding a tour outfit called Havana Tours by Blexie.

I reached out to him via the email address found on his basic website – I didn’t expect to hear back from him for several days, but he actually emailed back the same day. He said he was already (ALREADY!!!) booked by someone else on the Norwegian Sky for the day (This was in early January shortly after the cruise line published the itinerary) so I was quite surprised he was already booked. Thankfully, he was able to offer a tour through a buddy of his named Roly.

At first, I was a bit hesitant since almost all of the reviews with Blexie didn’t mention a Roly, but we went ahead and booked our tour. In the ensuing months up to the day of the cruise, Blexie and I communicated back and forth many times, him getting ideas what we wanted to see, and me getting ideas/insight on what to expect for costs and etc.

The day had arrived for our tour and we actually got through customs, security and finished the money conversion all before our scheduled tour start time of 10 am! All the worry for nothing…

We exited the cruise terminal Sierra Maestra and crossed the street into the Plaza San Francisco de Asis. The first thing we noticed was the heavy fume and smog smell from the diesel cars and buses. No emission checks here in Cuba! We actually saw our guide (Roly) holding a sign with our last name and walked past him to take a few photos and settle ourselves with the heat – Boy, was it HOT already at 10 am! Several Cubans approached us asking if we wanted a tour, one guy with a horse and buggy rode next to us inviting us to climb aboard, and other drew my image and tried to sell it to me for some CUC$. We kept refusing offers and even saying no politely, but many of these people were persistent and it took several times of us replying with a polite and firm no to get them to stop following and pestering us.

While this was taking place, we saw the CEO of Norwegian Holdings exit the terminal and walk over to a car waiting for him. He was followed by several officers carrying boxes with…Car parts. I guess FDR has family and friends in the area needing to make some repairs with hard to find car parts. ;p

Shortly afterwards, we approached Roly who was holding the sign with our surname and introduced ourselves. He was so very pleasant and spoke very good English. He welcomed us and thanks us for joining him today on this tour. He asked if we were ready and then called our driver on a cellphone to let him know we were coming. The three of us walked about 30 yards to an area where several cars were parked and here we were introduced to our driver, Hector who introduced us to his 1957 Ford. We sat in the back with Hector driving and Roly in the front passenger seat. We expected the ride to be bumpy, but it was very smooth, with Hector going out of his way to avoid potholes or bumpy crevices on the road surface.

We drove first to Hotel Nacional de Cuba since the DW and I told Roly we planned to go out in the evening and see the Cabaret Parisien show. The entrance and lobby of the hotel were beautiful and we were able to locate the show desk (upon entrance to the lobby via front stairs, turn left. The desk to purchase tickets was the second desk on the left. The first desk was selling maps, postcards, and trinkets). More details later on the Cabaret Parisien show.

With our show ticket in hand showing we paid the cover charges, Roly took us outside to view the spacious hotel courtyard which had couches and chairs which guests could lounge around on. There were paths which took us to the edge of the courtyard and overlooked the Havana Harbor and the Malecón seawall. We lingered for a few moments enjoying the views and listening to Roly tell us more information about the hotel and its grounds.

Afterwards Roly brought us into a bar (AIR CONDITIONING!!!) on the side of the hotel which was made famous by its prestigious past visitors. There are photos lined above to show who has been there in the past. In the back, there were displays with artifacts from the revolution, as well of mementos from the history of the hotel. We came across an immaculate model display of the hotel and grounds. Someone did a very good job on capturing the detail of the building and surrounding areas.

Next we drove past the Tribune to Imperialist Jose Marti which was also next to the US Embassy. Roly explained that the grounds in the area surrounding the Embassy were secure and it would be difficult to park without drawing attention so we were just able to drive pass very slowly allowing us to capture photos.

We continued on the Plaza of the Revolution, which here we walked around and Roly told us about the history of the surrounding buildings and what they were today. He also spoke proudly of his country and his pride showed in presenting this plaza to us. While we were here, tour buses full of people were coming and going, as were as private cars and taxis lining up the nearby lot. After walking around the plaza, I took my time to go to the opposite end from where we parked and enjoyed viewing the colorful display of cars from my parents and grandparents lifetime. It was evident that the drivers/owners of these cars took a lot of pride in allowing folks to view/photograph their well-kept cars.

Upon reaching Roly and Hector waiting for us at our car, Roly told us we would be going to visit a cigar shop next. Boy was I excited!

On our arrival, it was a very tight space which Hector had to parallel park into, and he did it without batting an eyelash – He must get a lot of practice with driving around in the tight city spaces! We walked to the entrance of the shop and once through the doors we saw masses of other folks visiting as well. What I had hoped would be a leisurely visit to browse ended up being a mad rush of tourist buying cigars and Cuban Rum. Roly quickly assisted us finding what we wanted and we were able to get to register – I purchased 8 Romeo y Juliet Churchill Cigars, as well as 3 Monte Christo #2 cigars. The total was 116.85 CUC$. The attendant quickly made made change and we were out of the shop, back into the hot sun. Hector our driver was waiting outside and the four of us made our way back to the car.

Once getting settled back into the car, Roly told us we would now be going to visit FINCA VIGÍA, or the Museum of Ernest Hemingway which was his house on the island of Cuba when he lived here. I was excited to visit here having read some of his novels, of which my favorite was ‘The Old Man and the Sea’. Roly told us the usual road taken to this part of the island was out of commission due to construction, so Hector had to take an unfamiliar route through the back country. We passed a lot of the everyday life in Cuba and saw how striking things were for her citizens. Roly kept a running commentary of what we were seeing and why/how it was good or bad for the country and its citizens. In no time at all, Hector arrived at the entrance to the Museum grounds and we were required to pay 5 CUC$ per person to enter. We were willing to pay, but there was no charge for Hector or Roly.

10 CUC$ paid, we drove up the driveway and Hector found a spot to park his car. Here, like everywhere else we visited, Hector was well known and easily found friends he knew and hung out chatting up a storm while Roly and the two of us went touring. Due to past theft, the entrances to Hemingway's home were blocked off with chain or rope, not allowing visitors to enter, but allowed us to stand in the doorways or windows and take photos. We were able to see much of the home regardless of the prohibited entrances.

Next we toured the grounds and visited where Hemingway’s boat, The Pilar, was moored on blocks for people to view. Here we were able to walk around the grounds a bit and see some of the local flora.

One thing I noticed was that there were a lot of dogs roaming the area. They were well kept and fed, so someone is caring for these animals. I made the mistake of scratching one of them and he started following me everywhere on the property while we were there. It was quite a cute looking fella with his wagging tail so I didn’t mind too much. :)