Independent versus cruise excursions?

dutchiegirl

I have read a lot about people preferring independent excursions over cruise organized excursions, so I have been looking at some of the highly rated independent companies. But I am confused....when comparing prices with the cruise excursions, I don't see a difference with most of them, especially with the flightseeing or whale watching excursions am I missing somthing? If the prices are the same or that close together, what is the benefit of independently booked excursions?

Sometimes there is a difference and other times there is no difference, best I can tell. I wanted to see certain things so looked for ways to do that slightly cheaper. I booked a flightseeing excursion with an independent company in February and received a discount for early booking since we are not completing it until July. Option to cancel due to weather still remains or if for some reason something happens we can't go on the cruise. All of our excursions are with independent companies. In Juneau we booked a shuttle to the glacier for the entire family and with that it was cheaper, we have longer than an hour (as much time as we want) and we don't get the salmon bake which I hear is wonderful but likely not a deal breaker for my family. Lastly in Skagway we booked a bus trip to Emerald Lake. Way cheaper than the train and I still get some of what I wanted to do such as see the Yukon Territory and other amazing scenery just not a train ride. You have to know what you want to do and then Google as always is your friend to help you find alternative ways. Have you explored Shore Trips? They offered some combined packages at the ports we were visiting that would have been cheaper overall with just a few variations in time maybe difference of 1/2 hour. Good luck and enjoy your cruise and excursions.

For those ships that offer a small excursion into Tracy Arm. It's one that must be booked through the cruise line and booked right after booking the cruise to avoid a sellout.

Similar private Tracy Arm excursions that round trips from Juneau cuts too deep into Juneau port time as you retrace 100 miles of water.

I have always booked excursions through the ship because I am so concerned about getting back to the pier on time. However, for our trip on the Legend this July, I booked a Skagway tour through Frontier Excursions. We are in port until 9 pm that night, and Frontier guarantees we will be back at the pier on time. My choice for this was because my husband is a smoker and the train to White Pass does not stop and he would be uncomfortable. Frontier takes a van and says they stop frequently for photo opportunities, etc. and my husband will be able to step away from the group and smoke. I was pleased with their customer response, and will be hoping that it all lives up to what they say.

There are far more benefits to booking independently than price. Can be- Groups are smaller, tours longer, and direct first hand contact with the operator. I never recommend any booking agent and always go direct.

Our Misty Fjords pilot / owner told us the cruise lines take maybe 30 % or more of revenue leaving the operator with a lot less. The operator may need to make this up. In the case of sea planes, perhaps with shorter trip, or for Misty.. no floating the plane to land and getting a chance to walk around. I would guess this depends a lot on the type of excursion. Maybe with whale watching the cruise line trip may match the duration but the operator makes up for it with a larger boat, etc.

When we took a Mediterranean cruise a few years ago, we booked a private operator to Ephesus. They picked us up so we were at the ruins when they opened and were able to explore with up close views of everything at our own pace. The tour buses from the boat arrived when we were about halfway through and you could look back and just see this mob of people descending. We paid the same for the private tour as we would have for the cruise excursion, but had such a more intimate experience and individual contact with the guide. Definitely worth it!

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

When we took a Mediterranean cruise a few years ago, we booked a private operator to Ephesus. They picked us up so we were at the ruins when they opened and were able to explore with up close views of everything at our own pace. The tour buses from the boat arrived when we were about halfway through and you could look back and just see this mob of people descending. We paid the same for the private tour as we would have for the cruise excursion, but had such a more intimate experience and individual contact with the guide. Definitely worth it!

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

We did the exact same thing in Kushadashi.. The tour guide took us to a nice family style restaurant too. She was a marvel of knowledge and fun for our small group! We used a private tour in Pompei and the Amalfi Coast. Much nicer than a big bus.

An independent operator once told me the biggest difference built into the costs is liability insurance the operator has to carry to protect THE CRUISE LINE. Not he the the operator or you the customer. This insurance for the cruise line is passed along to you, the customer. one way or another.

When I think of "independent" it's more along the line of cabs, city bus or renting a car though we have joined up with people from roll calls to organize private guided tours.

We are doing all independent tours for several different reasons. We are sailing on the Ruby Princess to Alaska in June. In Juneau, we are doing a whale watching tour that's so small that we will be the only ones on the boat. They only take 6-8 and consider a group of 6 a full boat. It isn't really cheaper, but will be more personal as we will have plenty of time to talk with our captain directly. All the smaller tours I saw with Princess were for 12-14 people and cost $5-50 more!

In Skagway, 4 of us are doing the exact same tour (like literally in the same group with those who booked thru the cruise line), but we are paying $20 less. It's a small canoe, hiking, glacier wilderness tour. Gets rave reviews, but it very small because it really requires a bit of hiking. 2 of our party are doing the train and small bus tour. They booked directly with the train and booked a bus back by Emerald Lake that has only about 16 passengers instead of being on a large tour bus. They can basically stop more often and if there is something folks really want to see or do, they will stop for it.

In Ketchikan, our seaplane tour of Misty Fjords is $50 cheaper, highly recommended, and we get to coast up to land and walk around for about 30 minutes.

I really can't see any down side in taking independent tours. I have heard of one or maybe 2 that didn't make it back to the ship in YEARS. They all say they will get you to the next port on their dime if something strange happens and you don't make it back. They get you back on time! These businesses depend on cruise ships and would never make that mistake! Additionally, I like more control in my sightseeing. I want to be able to spend more time here and less there. I don't want to feel herded around in a big group where we spend time waiting for everyone to load up, etc. The other big benefit of independents is that you get personal time with your tour leaders, captains, etc. You really get to ask the questions you want answered and just talk. I also like giving smaller operators my money instead of the cruise line.

We are doing all independent tours for several different reasons. We are sailing on the Ruby Princess to Alaska in June. In Juneau, we are doing a whale watching tour that's so small that we will be the only ones on the boat.

In Ketchikan, our seaplane tour of Misty Fjords is $50 cheaper, highly recommended, and we get to coast up to land and walk around for about 30 minutes.

Who did you book in Juneau and in Ketchikan?

We are doing all independent tours for several different reasons. We are sailing on the Ruby Princess to Alaska in June. In Juneau, we are doing a whale watching tour that's so small that we will be the only ones on the boat. They only take 6-8 and consider a group of 6 a full boat. It isn't really cheaper, but will be more personal as we will have plenty of time to talk with our captain directly. All the smaller tours I saw with Princess were for 12-14 people and cost $5-50 more!

In Skagway, 4 of us are doing the exact same tour (like literally in the same group with those who booked thru the cruise line), but we are paying $20 less. It's a small canoe, hiking, glacier wilderness tour. Gets rave reviews, but it very small because it really requires a bit of hiking. 2 of our party are doing the train and small bus tour. They booked directly with the train and booked a bus back by Emerald Lake that has only about 16 passengers instead of being on a large tour bus. They can basically stop more often and if there is something folks really want to see or do, they will stop for it.

I really can't see any down side in taking independent tours. I have heard of one or maybe 2 that didn't make it back to the ship in YEARS. They all say they will get you to the next port on their dime if something strange happens and you don't make it back. They get you back on time! These businesses depend on cruise ships and would never make that mistake! Additionally, I like more control in my sightseeing. I want to be able to spend more time here and less there. I don't want to feel herded around in a big group where we spend time waiting for everyone to load up, etc. The other big benefit of independents is that you get personal time with your tour leaders, captains, etc. You really get to ask the questions you want answered and just talk. I also like giving smaller operators my money instead of the cruise line.

Have you been on these tours? IF not, then your post alludes to being first hand when it isn't. I would think your "information" would be more useful when the tours have been taken?

Can't tell, which way, but you might want to clarify

We booked with Jayleen's Alaska. I think her boat holds 8. She has 1 bad review, where the waves got high and people had to come in on another boat, but all other reviews are 5*. She's young, in her 20's but has been a captain for a good while and worked for Harv and Marv (her dad was Marv and sold his part of the company a few years ago) for a while. Her tour sounds fun!

In Ketchikan, we are flightseeing Misty Fjords with Randy Sullivan of Mountain Air. He shares a dock and some staff with Michelle of Island Wings. 2 hour tour.

Have you been on these tours? IF not, then your post alludes to being first hand when it isn't. I would think your "information" would be more useful when the tours have been taken?

Can't tell, which way, but you might want to clarify

I was perfectly clear! Read from the beginning...We are doing these tours. We are going in June! I described the tours we are taking as I've read about them. I didn't make recommendations...simply stated what we "are doing", "in June!" I stated why I prefer small to large and independent to cruise line. I hardly see how I was unclear. Maybe you should read again!

Additionally, I compared the prices of many tours to those offered by the ship. On some of them, if you read carefully, you can tell that the ship is offering the exact tour with the same operator. I see no need to pay more for the same thing.

I was perfectly clear! Read from the beginning...We are doing these tours. We are going in June! I described the tours we are taking as I've read about them. I didn't make recommendations...simply stated what we "are doing", "in June!" I stated why I prefer small to large and independent to cruise line. I hardly see how I was unclear. Maybe you should read again!

I understood your post! ;)

I understood it as well. I did tons of research before I booked and have all independent tours for our July Alaska cruise. Enjoy Alaska!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Some excursions are exactly the same whether you book onboard for a premium or independently for the lower price. But sometimes little things creep in- for example, I believe that for the train in Skagway, passengers who booked directly with the ship are able to board very close to the ship as opposed to having to walk up a bit to board if you booked independently. Just another factor. And many excursions you can only book on the ship as they have made arrangements with the provider.

I have noticed recently that the price differences have dropped considerably on many line/excursions. I object to paying $30 or $40 more for exactly the same excursion, especially when there are 4 or 5 of us.

I have also discovered that some lines provide very good excursions while others get constant criticism of their trips. That is another thing to consider. In the end, we now do some of each with equally good results.

Thank you, this is helpful and appropriate answer to my question and concerns. ;)

I understood it as well. I did tons of research before I booked and have all independent tours for our July Alaska cruise. Enjoy Alaska!!!

Would you mind sharing which ones you booked? I understand that you still need to take them and therefore are not allowed to officially recommend them here, but I would like to know to add to my research :)

We booked with Jayleen's Alaska. I think her boat holds 8. She has 1 bad review, where the waves got high and people had to come in on another boat, but all other reviews are 5*. She's young, in her 20's but has been a captain for a good while and worked for Harv and Marv (her dad was Marv and sold his part of the company a few years ago) for a while. Her tour sounds fun!

In Ketchikan, we are flightseeing Misty Fjords with Randy Sullivan of Mountain Air. He shares a dock and some staff with Michelle of Island Wings. 2 hour tour.

Thank you! And I totally understood that you still need to take them, but it is good to add names to my list to do my research.

For us it's going to be a time saver.

In Juneau we are doing an independent Whale Watching tour (it does save about $60/pp) that is only 3 hours instead of the ones through the ship that are longer. This will allow us to get back to Juneau and take the bus to Mendenhall and hike out to Nugget Falls. We didn't want to do the Whale Watching/Mendenhall tour because we wouldn't get to go to Nugget Falls.

In Skagway, if we rent a car we will go farther than if we did the bus or train tour. We won't be limited to stop where they want to stop. We can stop where we want and stay at each stop for as long as we would like

That being said, I do like the options of booking through the ship. If the tour has to be cancelled due to weather or something unforeseen you are not charged, you have a guarantee of getting back to the ship on time, etc. There are definite benefits.

Would you mind sharing which ones you booked? I understand that you still need to take them and therefore are not allowed to officially recommend them here, but I would like to know to add to my research :)

In Ketchikan my daughter and I are flying over the Misty Fjords with Family Air. I got a discount paying in February. Fishing trip for 4 through Casin Tail. Cash only at time of service. Did hold a credit card but no bill.

In Juneau we booked Mendenhall Glacier through Juneau Tours online.

In Skagway booked glassblowing for 3 through Jewel gardens directly $98 to make their own ornament vs $245 just doesn't have 24k gold in it. Wasn't a deal breaker. 2 are taking a bus ride to Yukon Territory with Dyea Dave. Nothing in advance pay that day. He runs his business old fashion way with a handshake (online lol)

For us it's going to be a time saver.

In Juneau we are doing an independent Whale Watching tour (it does save about $60/pp) that is only 3 hours instead of the ones through the ship that are longer. This will allow us to get back to Juneau and take the bus to Mendenhall and hike out to Nugget Falls. We didn't want to do the Whale Watching/Mendenhall tour because we wouldn't get to go to Nugget Falls.

In Skagway, if we rent a car we will go farther than if we did the bus or train tour. We won't be limited to stop where they want to stop. We can stop where we want and stay at each stop for as long as we would like

That being said, I do like the options of booking through the ship. If the tour has to be cancelled due to weather or something unforeseen you are not charged, you have a guarantee of getting back to the ship on time, etc. There are definite benefits.

Thanks! Who did you book in Juneau?