At the Port

So we are driving and dropping off a Hertz rental car on the day of embarkation. We're trying to get a feel for the logistics. Our PAT is 11:45 - 12:00. Here's the info we're looking for:

1. Where is the Hertz location?

2. Can the Hubs drop me and kid and luggage at the Port, return the car, and walk back?

3. What happens to our checked bags if we're not taking Disney transport?

4. Can we show up at the Port before our PAT document says?

Thanks.

1) Unless it has moved, Hertz is on the main road in Cocoa Beach...I think it is called "Astronaut Blvd" or something similar. If you don't get off the highway to go to the cruise terminal, the highway veers to the right and becomes this road. No, it is not walking distance to the terminal, but each of the car rental companies offers a complimentary shuttle to the terminal If he feels the wait for the shuttle is too long, he can take a taxi.

2) This is the easiest way to to it, except for the walking back part. Just be sure he keeps his driver's license so he can get into the terminal area without problems! Pull up to the drop off area. The porters will take your bags, and you can get in the line to go thru security. You can then proceed with check in while he returns the car.

3) DO NOT put the DCL luggage tags on your bags if you are not taking DCL transport. You will need to claim your bags from the baggage carousel at MCO and take them with you to pick up your rental car, meet your limo driver, or whatever. Put the DCL tags on only after you have claimed them (they'll need to be on when you turn the bags over to the porters at the terminal). OK, there used to be a service where you could pay DCL $25 to transport up to 10 bags to the terminal if you were not using DCL transfers. It's been several years since I've even read of anyone doing that, so you'll want to call shoreside and make the arrangements if that is even a consideration. If you are using that service, you'll put the DCL tags on the bags before you board your plane. Basically, the DCL tags tell the airport personnel to send the bags to Disney, not to put them on the carousel. Luggage service is included if you purchase DCL transfers. Otherwise, the charge is applied!

4)Yes. Depending on which ship you are on, there might be a minimal delay before you are permitted to enter the terminal. However, arriving early will not get you onto the ship any sooner. Your PAT is tied to your boarding card number (which you'll get when you check in). You can arrive at the terminal early, get thru security and check in early, but you still won't get onto the ship until your boarding number is called.

My recommendation is that if your PAT is after noon, show up about noon or 12:30. By the time you are checked in, they will likely have announced "open boarding" which means that anyone can board regardless of boarding card number. This is typically about 1 on the classic ships, a little later on the Dream and Fantasy. If your PAT is before noon, the smoothest course with the least waiting is to show up right about the PAT. The terminal opens about 10:30 and boarding starts about 11:15 provided that everything went smoothly for the disembarkation of the preceding cruise.

With a PAT of 11:45-12, I'd show up about 11:30 or just a little earlier. That way, husband will have had time to return the car and get back to the terminal before your number is called for boarding.

Edited by moki'smommy

The Hertz In Cocoa Beach is at 8963 Astronaut Blvd, Cape Canaveral , Florida 32920-3910 . We use Avis, which is right up the road, but generally follow the routine you described. I drop the family off at the terminal then drop off the car and take the shuttle back. By the time I return, my wife has us all checked in. All I have to do is hand in the health form and get my picture taken.

i have done it this way twice now and it works out great. The one thing I might add is if the car agency shuttle has a bit of a wait Uber has a decent showing in the area and it went really quickly. So that is another option instead of the rental shuttle or a standard taxi.

Good point about Uber. The wait time for the rental car shuttle varies greatly. I've had times where by the time I came out from the agency, they were sitting there waiting for me. Other times, there has been a 15 or 20 minute wait. It is just a matter of catching them at the right time.

Good point about Uber. The wait time for the rental car shuttle varies greatly. I've had times where by the time I came out from the agency' date=' they were sitting there waiting for me. Other times, there has been a 15 or 20 minute wait. It is just a matter of catching them at the right time.[/quote']

The only time I had to wait was for the ship to clear. The shuttle would not leave Avis until then. But then, we tend to get to the port as early as possible, so I hit the first shuttle trip.

Thanks for all the info. I wanted to add, though, that when the Hubs read reviews of the Hertz location at the port, many people report walking to the terminal from there. Were they maybe walking to another line's termincal, not DCL? Or is it simply a matter of perspective on what constitutes walking distance?

Google maps should be able to supply you with the distance involved...but there's more to consider than that. There are sidewalks only part of the way. There is a lot of traffic on cruise days.

I googled it at 1.6 miles. That's walkable, but at a good pace is 20-25 minutes. The shuttle is quicker than that even if you have a short wait for it to come.

the distance is walkable and I've seen folks dragging bags down A1A heading for the terminal

UNFORTUNATELY, unless the rules have changed recently, the port does NOT ALLOW foot traffic on the draw bridge that one must cross to get to the north (aka A side, aka west) teminals ... this is where the DCL terminal is located. I've seen security stop folks from walking ... no exceptions. (dunno why but them's the rules)

For ships using the south/B terminals (this is primarily terminal 1 used by RCCL) the distance is walkable for most (especially from the new location for Enterprise/Alamo/National)

canaveral%20rentals%20Feb16_zpsde76i5qd.jpg

PC%20map_zpseikhjphp.jpg

Edited by Capt_BJ