Magic Passenger Died in St Kitts Yesterday.

Guindalf

A friend of mine, an experienced diver was on a tour in St. Kitts yesterday and he passed away. I have to say this was not a cruise line tour, but he was on the Magic, so although I'm not a DCL cruiser (can't afford it!), I'm posting here in case anyone has any more information about what happened to Carlos.

https://www.cruisehive.com/cruise-ship-passenger-dies-during-diving-excursion/16851

Carlos was an amazing, wonderful guy who was sailing with his family. More than a few of us here on CC considered him a friend, and I'd spent time with him both on cruises and in his home of NYC. We're all devastated by his unexpected and untimely loss. :(

Unfortunately, we don't have much in the way of details - obviously we're not asking his wife. I was hoping to see more detail in a follow-up on the news article, or that someone who was on the cruise might be participating here and have more info (which I'm sure was Guindalf's hope as well). Might have to post in the roll call.

on another site: "

We were on the cruise as well. We were so shocked and saddened to hear the news. On our cruise FB page another person had went on a dive with him at an earlier port-they were dive partners. He said he was experienced but hadn't went on a dive in a long time and was rusty and nervous, ...."

Not good ...... this is why dive operators ask how long it has been since your last dive .... and dive certification agencies have 'refresher' classes.

Sorry for the loss but sounds like it might have been somewhat self inflicted .....

Well yes, we all do things that we might not normally do and, of course, feel confident while doing it. I know that when I spend most of the year doing little or no exercise, getting in the water for some snorkeling can be stressful and I have left myself gasping and searching for the strength to get to shore safely. I can't imagine what it would be like with 40 feet of water between me and my next breath of air!

This was posted in another area of the forum, repeated here for those that want to know...

http://www.thestkittsnevisobserver.com/sourced-information/autopsy-performed-diver/

So sad to lose a fellow diver. I have been certified for 20+ years and I have seen a lot in the dive business. On a side note and nothing to do with this tragedy, I think the whole business of "certifying" cruise ship guests just to make money off them is criminal. They offer these "get certified during your cruise" diving programs and then turn the tourists loose on a dive adventure. Its a joke and a disaster waiting to happen and death does happen all he time. Diving is serious business and a few days prep on a cruise ship is not even close to preparing someone.

He was definitely an experienced diver, despite that he felt slightly 'rusty' on his first dive for this cruise (but not for the one at St. Kitts). Knowing he died of a heart issue rather than from complications related to the dive is at least something. He died doing something he loved, which is all I guess any of us can hope for.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

I am the diver's widow. We were enjoying a wonderful cruise on Disney. He had dove two days during the 7 day cruise and the was his third and final time at st kitts. His dives were also not one day to the next, he took breaks. According to the dive master, his dive was successful. He suffered a cardiac complication: Pulmonary Edema, Myocardial Hypertrophy and Hypertensive Heart Disease. This was not a heart attack but a hardening of his heart which lead to his lungs filling up with water. He died immediately on the scuba boat although there was CPR attempts.

His death was not due to faulty equipment, it absolutely was NOT self inflicted and I was never interviewed by the media inSt Kitts. I appreciate the condolences and words of support. My husband was an advanced scuba diver and took this seriously. He loved the water and appreciated the beauty of the seas and what was down below. We miss him dearly but know he died after doing what he loved the most, diving.

Thank you