Near Venice, where is a good area to stay (w/ 3 kids)? Camping site?

LoveAtomy

Hi,

We will be going on a cruise from Venice and I would like to know which area is a good place to stay? Easy transportation to Venice port and accommodation with 3 kids...

I see some camping sites but I'm not sure if it will be easy to get to Venice port?

Thank you.

Is camping something you particularly want to do? How many days will you be staying in Venice, and what are your budget constraints? It's hard to offer helpful comments without understanding what you value in this particular decision.

We camped somewhere in the Mestre area with our kids but that was back in 1992. Check that the campground has a bus into Venice. I would not stay at one out on the Lido because it takes time going back and forth.

There is less expensive accommodation in general in Mestre if money is an issue. There are frequent busses to Venice from early in the morning till late at night. Do a search on Trip Advisor or booking.com or check out hostel sites. Last time we stayed in a hostel but it does not seem to be operating any more.

• 2 weeks later...

I would recommend staying in/ around Verona. I don't know if there is a campsite but there are plenty of Air BnB places to rent. It's a gorgeous little city and only about an hour to Venice by train. Mestre near Venice is best avoided, it's ugly and industrial.