The Main Danube Canal - celebrating 25 years of traversing Europe by boat

notamermaid

This year sees the celebration of the opening of the canal 25 years ago. It means 26 years ago a river cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest was not possible. But the major impact the canal has had on is trade.

The idea of "uniting Europe" by waterways is not new, the very educated King Charles of the Franks, Charlesmagne, thought about it (and somewhat had it done on a tiny scale) a long time ago: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhine%E2%80%93Main%E2%80%93Danube_Canal

More on the celebrations this year at a later time.

notamermaid

Although one of the greatest engineering accomplishments in Europe in recent times the celebration will seem to pass by unnoticed to the English-speaking world. There is hardly any recent information in English language. So, to show you what the canal is about (if you have travelled on it you will know of course) I have decided on a video. A well-known cruise company has provided this but other companies can be found on youtube as well:

notamermaid

Your right Notamermaid, I keep an eye for canal information and apart from your tit bit about the 25th anniversary I've seen nothing so traveling it this year will be of added interest. Our canal is 217 years old this year. Mind you how many large engineering feats are heralded these days, the Delta Works are simply amazing. CA