Cigar prices in Havana

DAllenTCY

I only purchased three cigars for my son's bosses. They requested some thick ones....I guess the ring sizes are in millimeters. I certainly don't know a good cigar from a poor one, but this little shop was right next to what I recall was the Hotel Santa Isabel....about 5 blocks from the terminal. I was ready to take a cab to a lager outlet, but the heat got to me after walking more than 2 miles around. Prices are in Cuban.

Anyway:

Cohiba (ring size 54) = $29 each

Romeo & Juliet only by the box

Montecristo (ring size 50) for $9.65

Partigas (ring size 50) for $10.95.

This shop also featured many different Cuban rums.

In retrospect, I probably should have taken a tour. I was just exhausted from work, and relaxing on the veranda was a much better option for me. I'll admit the open bar was a great addition.....I tried a lot of new drinks....flavored mojitos,

etc. Watching the vintage cars go by was such a treat.

On Great Stirrup I found a great place under a few large trees and relaxed in the shade....while the reggae music band played.

I certainly would go back.

David

I'd like to buy cigars when we visit but my relatives who live there say 9 out of 10 are fakes these days. I'll have to check out the shop you visited.

In my reading about Cuba, it says that you should only get cigars from a state run store. Never buy them on the street because they're cheap imitations. Also, no point in price shopping since the state sets the prices.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, that is what I had read also. However, this was a small store, with a lot of inventory and right next to a premium hotel. I also got a printed receipt from the cashier which made me feel comfortable.

I made a point of that when I had asked directions to an outlet. Earlier in the day, one of the locals looked up a government store on his cell phone for me, and showed me that it was far away. His friend could come and pick me up to give me a ride, but I said "No, thanks".

I wouldn't know if I purchased the real thing, but they are gifts anyway, so I'm not worried.

David

Taking a cruise to Cuba to buy real Cubans is one way to buy them. You might want to consider doing a little research and get your cigars from Hong Kong or Switzerland and save the cabin charge;p