Arcadia or Azura

Pinktrixie

I am thinking of doing fjords in May with P&0. Both ships look good but I keep reading about Arcadia being for older cruisers and entertainment aimed for them. Also people saying so many wheelchairs and scooters it took them ages to get off ship. I have had some great cruises with older guests but wondered if it was a concern or just some people moaning. Would love some feedback on what ship would be best. I love the itinerary of Arcadia and the idea of a smaller ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If I helps I choose based on itinerary, cabin availability and restaurants. I don't take much notice of the demographic but Arcadia will for many reasons generally attract older cruisers. I don't think older people moan more, but they do tend to be better behaved, depending on your perspective [emoji6]. You always get the odd few who disapprove of everything, elbow people out of the way, lick their fingers, don't wash hands - but that's the same wherever you go.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you want children around or not as Arcadia is Adult Only and Azura is Family Friendly?

If it doesn't matter to you then it will depend, as Florry says, on itinerary, what the ship itself offers and availability of whatever cabin you've got your eye on. We agree with her, we take no notice of the demographic of passengers, you will get rude moaning people wherever you go in life. If people are moaners, they moan everywhere all the time. Goodness only knows why they spend the money on anything they do! You also get wheelchairs/scooters on every ship.

Azura :-

1. A more modern ship with a more modern, bright interior than Arcadia.

2. Her Glass House is the best in the fleet.

3. The Planet Bar is a lovely bar - the video screens are great.

4. She has a Beach House restaurant (Arcadia doesn't have one).

5. She has Sea Screen - debatable how often that would be able to be used in Norway?

6. She has a Sindhu.

Arcadia:-

1. She has a Hydrotherapy Pool, a plus for possible unreliable weather in Norway.

2. She has a pool that can be covered, a plus again for possible unreliable weather in Norway.

3. She has a Crow's Nest - great for viewing the scenery.

4. She has East Bar - another great place for viewing the scenery.

5. She has a Sindhu.

If it was me I would go for Arcadia, mainly because of the options of somewhere else to go if the weather isn't great - Hydropool or covered pool. There isn't really anywhere on Azura apart from the normal public rooms.

Having been on both, I would go for Arcadia. It is a smaller ship, not a block of flats. Also the sea screen in a pool area on Azura is a complete pain. You cannot relax by the pool with that blaring out whatever they put on. As someone else has said, the retractable roof over one of the pools on Arcadia is very useful in Norway

That is just my opinion, we are all different, so it depends on what you prefer on a cruise.

Val

Re. demographics. During the school holidays the adult only ships will tend to have a greater number of older passengers, mainly because a large number (majority?) of younger passengers will be accompanied by school age children and thus unable to sail on them. Outside of the school holidays, particularly since the new rules about taking children out of school during term time came in, the demographic of both types of ship will be roughly the same. Both are effectively adults only!

I am thinking of doing fjords in May with P&0. Both ships look good but I keep reading about Arcadia being for older cruisers and entertainment aimed for them. Also people saying so many wheelchairs and scooters it took them ages to get off ship. I have had some great cruises with older guests but wondered if it was a concern or just some people moaning. Would love some feedback on what ship would be best. I love the itinerary of Arcadia and the idea of a smaller ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Azura does not have a forward facing bar, unlike the Arcadia which has the Crows Nest as previously mentioned.

We have not yet been on Azura (going soon though) but have decided that we wouldn't go on an adults only ship again, even though we are well into our 60's.

If there are no kids there are unlikely to be many 30-50 year-olds either. Most of the children spend a great deal of time in the kids clubs and whenever we have come across them they have been much better behaved that many of the old folks.