Question - MSC Divina and Food Allergies

ykennedy35

We will be sailing on the Divina in 6 months and I wanted to inquire if anyone has any information to share about how the Divina dining crew handle food allergies. DD has multiple food allergies and I am interested to know if anyone has dealt with this on the Divina and whether staff are knowledgeable on the topic.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I cruised with my husband (twice on MSC) who has a mushroom sensitivity that will give him severe GI tract problems (both ends at the same time) two hours after having mushrooms. My daughter also cruised with us on the first MSC cruise. She has an epi pen worthy banana allergy with cross linked sensitivity to avocado.

For both cruises, the food problems were listed in our reservation.

First cruise, March 2016, our waiter informed us that the head waiter would be handling my husband's order each night. He would take my husband's order each night for the next day and he was the only one who served my husband. My daughter was assured the first night by the head waiter that the dinner menu's for the week had been reviewed and unless an item specifically mentioned bananas or avocado, all food items were safe for her to eat.

Our second cruise, April 2017, our waiter was the one who would make sure that no mushrooms were in any of the items my husband ordered (including sauces and soups).

I should add that both my husband and daughter had no problems in the buffet as they are both aware of any food that could remotely have a possibility of containing their allergen and would avoid those items.

My daughter's one problem was at the gelato stand where there was a banana sorbet. She needed to request that a dry, clean scoop be used for her to avoid cross contamination from a water rinsed scoop that had previously been used to scoop out banana. After the first day, if the server saw her on line, he would send an assistant for a clean scoop before she reached the head of the line.

I haven't been on the Diivina but in general I find it easier eating with a food intolerance on a ship than on land!

I'm intolerant to dairy and have never had any problems when cruising on MSC (opera) or any other cruise lines. Please try not to worry!

If you are really worried you can let the staff know before your cruise, although I have never done this. At each meal I simply let the waiter know (if they don't remember me).

More about this here: (I could talk about this for days!) http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/12/19/cruising-with-a-food-intolerance/

Hope that helps, you'll have no problems at all [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums