on the Divina - what happens when one guest has to cancel for medical reasons?

iamirish

One person had emergency surgery this morning - what happens to her traveling mate? Does MSC charge the one person still in the room double?

We are traveling this Saturday (May 13th)

I totally concur. Save yourself the hassle they will give you if you try to cancel her. Simply tell the pier check-in folks there was an emergency and she will not be sailing. Oh, and don't forget to email MSC upon return so they can refund the taxes. They will keep it for themselves if you don't.

Bret

Thanks for all your help.

Both of the passengers have insurance.

I will have my friend to just tell them at check-in the other party had emergency surgery and won't be coming.

Please just double check their policies. There may be a limited time frame where the sick person needs to notify the cruise line of cancellation rather than be a no show.

Also, if the person still traveling does end up somehow being charged a single supplement, it is possible their insurance may cover it.

One person had emergency surgery this morning - what happens to her traveling mate? Does MSC charge the one person still in the room double?

We are traveling this Saturday (May 13th)

This is the entry I the T&Cs in 2017/2018 brochure.

Paragraph 13.3 gives you the answer you are looking for

medical%20cancellation%20a.jpgmedical%20cancellation%20b.jpg

Pete

I would definitely check your travel insurance policy. I do not think an insurance policy will pay out if you do not actually cancel the trip due to a medical emergency. The insurance company is likely to require paperwork from MSC to advise the trip was cancelled and the amount that was lost as a result. I'd give the travel insurer a call if your friend knows for sure they can't travel and get their advice on what the requirements are to claim just to be on the safe side.

I think the person who cancelled might get a refund of port charges -- Not sure,
They will, but since they have travel insurance, their entire cruise fare should also be refunded, if they do everything according to the insurer's rules. Which is why everyone has been telling the OP to check their policies and to contact their insurance provider(s).

The taxes and fees can wait for now, as long as they don't sail, they should be able to claim those back from the cruise line without too much hassle (hopefully).