Uniworld Italy May 2017

beesKate

Thank you, this is very informative and helpful. We will be doing this cruise in October and you are answering a lot of our questions and helping with our decisions.

Question: I'm good for walking long distances but my other half isn't. He can do 30+ minutes of walking non-stop but begins to have problems with stairs or sharp uphill climbs. Do you feel there is any particular tours we should avoid?

JP, yes you are correct about the wine region. Actually, last night the wines were South African. Perhaps it's because our captain lives in South Africa now. We did take pictures of all the wine bottles, so once we get home we can look more closely.

Az- can your husband do steps at all? Around Venice we transfer to smaller boats for almost all the tours. You need to be able to step down from the dock or pier into a smaller, rocking boat. Also, you can't go far walking in Venice without coming upon a bridge. Although some have ramps, many, including the first one you cross where the Countess is docked, does not have a ramp. 7bb0989bf1b8901361fc0749f59075b8.jpg

We're getting ready to disembark but I ran up to take a picture of this bridge

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Also, this ship has had more rocking than most river cruises, especially when docked, due to the wakes of other vessels in the lagoon. It's not as bad as ocean cruises, but unusual for river cruises

We are on the bus for the Florence and Rome extension. Our guide for this part is Martin. He mentioned that the guests arriving for this week will not be able to cruise the Po. Although it's not a super scenic river, it's a nice change of scenery. It also shortens the times for the excursions. From Venice to Bologna it's right at 1.5 hours of highway driving.

There's 25 guests who are continuing on with this portion. Martin said he's had 10-20, but sometimes there's over 40 guests and they use 2 busses.

Have a great time on your Florence and Rome extension. My husband and I love visiting the Tuscan hill towns, but plan to eventually actually stay in Florence and go in the museums. We enjoyed visiting Rome on 2 cruises, but have branched out to the areas around Rome which are, IMO, even better and completely uncrowded. Definitely eat in some locals restaurants as the food is amazing! This talks about the regional foods of each region you will be visiting - helpful in choosing what to eat!

http://www.delish.com/cooking/a1206/regional-italian-food/

BeesKate,

Thank you for responding to my question. My husband can do stairs, just not a lot of them, bad knees so it hurts. I guess, regarding the small rocking boats, we will just have to see one before he can decide whether he can get in and out of one. He is pretty motivated for this trip so might just endure some pain for this adventure.