Solstice Review NZ sailing 3 April 2017

CCC's

Tried 5 times to post a review in the "normal" manner, but absolutely no luck. Even though I was logged in successfully to Cruise Critic when I tried to submit my review it decided to not recognise by User Name/Password. ??? So, here is my review .....

Best Solstice Cruise - No.3

My daughter and I cruised Sydney-South Island NZ-Sydneyon 3 April 2017. And this is by far mymost favourite cruise to date. I havealways loved the Solstice but this cruise confirmed why I continue to travel onthe Solstice. The fact that the weatherduring the 10 day cruise was almost perfect did help a bit too.

The ship, even though 8+ years old, is still in very goodcondition for her age. Staff memberswere constantly maintaining all public areas and our cabin steward did awonderful job keeping our cabin (sunset verandah) in tip top shape. Every staff member we came in contact withwas always friendly and courteous with a friendly greeting whenever passing. Bar staff, even though at times very busy,were efficient and chatty.

The main dining room (anytime dining for us) served highquality meals. Every sea day we hadbreakfast and lunch in the main dining room and was very happy with our mealsand selection from the menu. And ourother visits to the Oceanview Buffet on Level 14 was also as good as ever. Great and varied selection of food available,certainly enough choices for all tastes. And our 3 visits to the Specialty Restaurants (2 x Murano and 1 x TuscanGrill) was superb. EspeciallyMurano. We had purchased the 3Specialty Restaurant visits for $105 per person. Well worth the added expense. Will definitely do this again on our nextcruise in March 2018.

Entertainment was good to very good most evenings. Once again, entertainment was varied enoughfor most people to enjoy some or all on offer during the 10 day cruise. Entertainment is very subjective, thereforemy statement re variety for most tastes.

As the weather was excellent during the cruise we reallyenjoyed our port shore excursions at the four ports we visited. I had booked all excursions independently andfound all to be great.... Dunedin half-day mini bus covering all areas ofDunedin and surrounds, Akaroa, my daughter went on a 4WD tour + kayaking nearthe open ocean, Wellington we did the Lord of The Rings 1/2 day tour + visit tothe Weta workshops, and lastly at Picton my daughter swam with wild dolphinsheading out of Queen Charlotte Sound - a 4 hour boat ride which wasfabulous. My daughter said it was themost wonderful thing she has ever experienced even though it was a bit chilly(even in her wetsuit). I was on boardthe boat and for me it was also wonderful watching the antics of the 100+ podof dolphins jumping out of the water, swimming in the wake of the boat. Magical. As they were on a mission to go feeding in the open ocean they were in abit of a hurry but my daughter managed to have four swims with thedolphins. As they are wild creatures itis magical when they actually stop and take a closer look at you whilst ontheir quest to go out and feed.

One of the main things I really enjoy about the Solstice- even though carrying 2850+ passengers + crew, it never feels crowded. I was always able to find a quiet spot toread. This is very special on a shipcarrying so many passengers.

And finally, embarking at Sydney was fairly smoothalthough Customs processing was a little slow because only half of the Customsdesks were open due to a technical hitch. However, they finally all came back on within an hour or so. Getting off the ship was a breeze, asusual. Very quick. Able to grab a taxi immediately and was atairport within 35 minutes. No hasslesat all.

The Solstice is a very special lady and I will definitelybe sailing with her again. Many moretimes I hope.

Room Review:

Excellent, plenty storage, great bathroom. Being a Sunset Veranda it is at the very backof the ship. We really enjoyed the walkfrom the nearest elevators. Helpedgreatly to help walk off the wonderful food we consumed in the SpecialtyRestaurants and Main Dining Room. Woulddefinitely choose this location again. If you do the walk 5-6 times per day that adds up to a few klms atleast. Saved me having to go to the Gym.

Hope you enjoyed my review of our Solstice Cruise - Our Best Cruise Ever !

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your review. We are going to NZ again for our 2nd time on the Solstice in December 2017. We went to the Pacific on her 6years ago and loved this ship. We went to NZ on Holland America Oosterdam and enjoyed it too. Nice to know this ship is still a beauty.

This time going with another couple but we enjoy meeting and chatting with fellow cruisers.

Thanks for your review. I enjoyed reading it as we will also be on her next March, sailing Perth to Sydney on March 5 for a 16-night cruise of Australia and New Zealand. When are you sailing in March?

We were on Solstice for her first westbound TA in 2009; loved her and very glad to hear she's still in great shape.

We loved the ports and the weather too! Loved the crew and our cabin!

I can say this for us was more crowded than we are use to. No place to sit when eating at times at the buffet. We made do and we figured on a full sailing it was more busy. We do love the Solstice!

Nothing like telling Captain Zisis that we loved the show in our past Hawaii sailing with him and how he was able to get us close to the lava flows. We sit down at the elite cocktail party and have an officer come and tell us that something is coming for us and that turns out to be an invite to the Captain Table at the Tuscan Grille! That for us was the highlight! We won't forget that night or this sailing!

Hi bama4cruisin. We are doing the 9 day cruise to the south Pacific departing Sydney 21 March 2018. Once January 2018 rolls around i will definitely start being just a bit excited. Actually last night i booked all our select dining for each night, booked Murano for last night at sea and also a ship excursion for Isle of Pines....all using our $300 OBC. And we also received the classic drink package as a perk as well when we booked early this year.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Forums mobile app

CCC:

Did you buy the 3 night Specialty Dining Package for $105 before the cruise or once onboard? Did you have to go to one of those specialty restaurants either the first or second night as described in the 3 night package details? Or, could you choose what nights you wanted to go for all 3 nights?

quote=CCC's;53072997]Tried 5 times to post a review in the "normal" manner, but absolutely no luck. Even though I was logged in successfully to Cruise Critic when I tried to submit my review it decided to not recognise by User Name/Password. ??? So, here is my review .....

Best Solstice Cruise - No.3

My daughter and I cruised Sydney-South Island NZ-Sydneyon 3 April 2017. And this is by far mymost favourite cruise to date. I havealways loved the Solstice but this cruise confirmed why I continue to travel onthe Solstice. The fact that the weatherduring the 10 day cruise was almost perfect did help a bit too.

The ship, even though 8+ years old, is still in very goodcondition for her age. Staff memberswere constantly maintaining all public areas and our cabin steward did awonderful job keeping our cabin (sunset verandah) in tip top shape. Every staff member we came in contact withwas always friendly and courteous with a friendly greeting whenever passing. Bar staff, even though at times very busy,were efficient and chatty.

The main dining room (anytime dining for us) served highquality meals. Every sea day we hadbreakfast and lunch in the main dining room and was very happy with our mealsand selection from the menu. And ourother visits to the Oceanview Buffet on Level 14 was also as good as ever. Great and varied selection of food available,certainly enough choices for all tastes. And our 3 visits to the Specialty Restaurants (2 x Murano and 1 x TuscanGrill) was superb. EspeciallyMurano. We had purchased the 3Specialty Restaurant visits for $105 per person. Well worth the added expense. Will definitely do this again on our nextcruise in March 2018.

Entertainment was good to very good most evenings. Once again, entertainment was varied enoughfor most people to enjoy some or all on offer during the 10 day cruise. Entertainment is very subjective, thereforemy statement re variety for most tastes.

As the weather was excellent during the cruise we reallyenjoyed our port shore excursions at the four ports we visited. I had booked all excursions independently andfound all to be great.... Dunedin half-day mini bus covering all areas ofDunedin and surrounds, Akaroa, my daughter went on a 4WD tour + kayaking nearthe open ocean, Wellington we did the Lord of The Rings 1/2 day tour + visit tothe Weta workshops, and lastly at Picton my daughter swam with wild dolphinsheading out of Queen Charlotte Sound - a 4 hour boat ride which wasfabulous. My daughter said it was themost wonderful thing she has ever experienced even though it was a bit chilly(even in her wetsuit). I was on boardthe boat and for me it was also wonderful watching the antics of the 100+ podof dolphins jumping out of the water, swimming in the wake of the boat. Magical. As they were on a mission to go feeding in the open ocean they were in abit of a hurry but my daughter managed to have four swims with thedolphins. As they are wild creatures itis magical when they actually stop and take a closer look at you whilst ontheir quest to go out and feed.

One of the main things I really enjoy about the Solstice- even though carrying 2850+ passengers + crew, it never feels crowded. I was always able to find a quiet spot toread. This is very special on a shipcarrying so many passengers.

And finally, embarking at Sydney was fairly smoothalthough Customs processing was a little slow because only half of the Customsdesks were open due to a technical hitch. However, they finally all came back on within an hour or so. Getting off the ship was a breeze, asusual. Very quick. Able to grab a taxi immediately and was atairport within 35 minutes. No hasslesat all.

The Solstice is a very special lady and I will definitelybe sailing with her again. Many moretimes I hope.

Room Review:

Excellent, plenty storage, great bathroom. Being a Sunset Veranda it is at the very backof the ship. We really enjoyed the walkfrom the nearest elevators. Helpedgreatly to help walk off the wonderful food we consumed in the SpecialtyRestaurants and Main Dining Room. Woulddefinitely choose this location again. If you do the walk 5-6 times per day that adds up to a few klms atleast. Saved me having to go to the Gym.

Hope you enjoyed my review of our Solstice Cruise - Our Best Cruise Ever !

We purchased the 3 night dinner package when we first boarded. And we chose the nights and times we wanted. The staff member was able to tell us which night was the Select Dining lobster night because we definitely wanted to attend that. We had no problem choosing the nights we wanted and the times we wanted. It is possible if you leave it later in the cruise to book you might not be able to secure your first choice. And Murano and Tuscan Grill were excellent.

Also my apologise for my review. ...some of my words ran into each other. Because i had so much trouble submitting in normal manner i actually ended up copying and pasting my original typed review and some of the words joined together in my final review pasted above. !!

Hi ccc.

Bob and Chris from the Gold Coast. Loved your review of the Solstice and New Zealand. We are booked on her for the 1st time in January, 2018 on a 12 nighter from Sydney to New Zealand and looking so forward to it. It will be a new experience for us on Celebrity as we normally cruise with Princess, Norwegian ect.

Glad you guys enjoyed your cruise, it sounds great.

Cheers Bob.

We did the 12 night Sidney to Auckland this past Feb. wonderful cruise. Those going next year, we spent six days in Sydney - LOVED Sydney and would recommend spending several days there if you can pre cruise. Enjoy!

CCC:

This was very helpful. We may wait until we board to buy the package as it is a much better deal.

Love your review! Thanks!

We purchased the 3 night dinner package when we first boarded. And we chose the nights and times we wanted. The staff member was able to tell us which night was the Select Dining lobster night because we definitely wanted to attend that. We had no problem choosing the nights we wanted and the times we wanted. It is possible if you leave it later in the cruise to book you might not be able to secure your first choice. And Murano and Tuscan Grill were excellent.

Also my apologise for my review. ...some of my words ran into each other. Because i had so much trouble submitting in normal manner i actually ended up copying and pasting my original typed review and some of the words joined together in my final review pasted above. !!

Hi ccc.

Bob and Chris from the Gold Coast. Loved your review of the Solstice and New Zealand. We are booked on her for the 1st time in January, 2018 on a 12 nighter from Sydney to New Zealand and looking so forward to it. It will be a new experience for us on Celebrity as we normally cruise with Princess, Norwegian ect.

Glad you guys enjoyed your cruise, it sounds great.

Cheers Bob.

You will definitely enjoy your cruise to NZ. The 12 day cruise Sydney-NZ was our first cruise on Celebrity Solstice about 4 yrs. ago and that started our love affair with the Solstice. And the next two cruises certainly did not disappoint. In fact, we never consider any other cruise line. Solstice ticks all the boxes in terms of accommodation, food, professionalism of all crew members, entertainment and the overall classy feel of this wonderful ship. Yes, she is 8+ years old now but has been very well maintained and pampered. In fact, all passengers are pampered in many ways.

At the start of our first Sydney-NZ cruise we were berthed at Circular Quay for 2 days and one night. Staying overnight on Sydney Harbour was a very special treat. We had our evening meal at Tuscan Grill which overlooks the harbour, Opera House, Sydney Harbour Bridge and surrounding areas. Not sure whether your cruise will include the overnight stay or not, but if so, you will not be disappointed in any way.

Enjoy your trip, it will be memorable in many ways.