Rome Necropolis tour mid day

Dymt

We have a Scavvi Necropolis tour booked for 11:00 a.m. I'd like to focus on the Vatican sites all in the same day but concerned about timing as the tickets suggest arriving a bit early. Asking for a recommendation of a reasonable itinerary for the day both before and after that tour. We have two more days to visit other areas of Rome. I'm getting overwhelmed with all the ticket options and hours! As I understand, the Necropolis tour will be approximately 90 minutes. Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did this in April at 11:00 am but we came from the port so we did not have time for anything else. I would suggest planning on getting there by 10:30. You have to go through a short security line and then stop at short line by Swiss Guard and then walk to the waiting area for the tour If you are late, they do leave without you. The line for the Basilica was huge prior to our tour but much shorter after but still long. Perhaps take time for lunch and book a tour of the Vatican museums afterward. It also looks like you would have time for the early Sistine Chapel and Basilica tour before your tour.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are several ways you can approach your day, depending on what interests you the most (because, let's face it, you're going to be tired after a full day, so I'd prioritize and put the more important items first, when you're fresh....)

If the museums and the Sistine chapel are important:

FIRST: I'd either pre-reserve a timed ticket for the earliest time slot (which I believe is 8:00 am; I tried to look at the website right now but it's not working right for me.) OR I'd strongly consider doing the 7:15 breakfast and entry to the museums -- you can choose the option you want, either a tour or just the entry or entry + audioguide, but the point is the early admission. If the museums are important to you then trust me -- do them when they are least crowded.

NEXT: Time yourselves to finish in the Museum at around 10:00 to give yourself enough leeway to get to the start of the Scavi tour.

NEXT: The Scavi tour ends in St. Peter's basilica, so plan to tour it now, avoiding the security check line that can get long. (Remember to dress appropriately -- knees and shoulders covered.)

NEXT: Take a break and eat some well-earned lunch nearby.

FINALLY: If you are interested, climb the Dome but be aware that lines can be long at this time of day -- sometimes they taper off at the very end of the day, however, if you can stretch out your timing that much.

If the Dome is important:

Change up the order to: 1) Climb dome first when lines are shortest, 2) Scavi tour, 3) St. Peter's, then lunch, and finally 4) a timed ticket for the Vatican Museums, maybe around 2:30 pm -- if you're lucky perhaps the crowds will taper off a bit by the time you get to the Sistine, as most of the tour groups will have come and gone.

The one thing I wouldn't move would be doing St. Peter's after the Scavi tour. Of course there are other options -- a gardens tour, another necropolis tour -- but I think this is already verging on overload for a single day/first-time visit.