Private taxi Basel airport to Basel hotel

Bellago

My group of 4, 3 in 70's and 1 94 year old are flying into Euro airport Basel and have a hotel for the night before embarking on Amadeus Rhine cruise. We booked hotel through TA not Amadeus. Has anyone had experience with private "meet and greet" taxi service for a flat fee. I have found several on line but would love to hear from someone with experience with one.

Your TA really should be doing this for you and if they can't, find a better TA next time :)

You can also ask the hotel to either recommend a local company or even arrange this for you...

Thanks Mark T. I have not asked my TA and after reading the post about Backwater being arranged by a TA and they are more expensive than the ones I have found online I want to arrange myself. I am used to independent travel. Was just hoping someone had experience.

The hotel concierge in London told us that having them arrange car service would be twice the price of doing it ourselves.

1. Look on Trip Advisor in the Basel forum and ask this question

2 Look at the Basel airport website for companies that provide services

3 You should be able to request a quote and get an exact amount for this service

4 Don't pay in advance in case something goes awry. You should be able to use a credit card

5 Have cell phone with text message ability. Most hotels have free wifi so there should be no charge if you turn off your data. A good company will text you when they arrive with a picture of the driver and the description of the car and license number. Driver will text you their status. (Our driver in London was held up by a road accident.)

IMO it's better to know exactly what is going in rather than have a TA do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

5 Have cell phone with text message ability. Most hotels have free wifi so there should be no charge if you turn off your data. A good company will text you when they arrive with a picture of the driver and the description of the car and license number. Driver will text you their status. (Our driver in London was held up by a road accident.)

IMO it's better to know exactly what is going in rather than have a TA do this.

If you and the taxi driver/company use iPhones this will work just fine and will be free if you use the airport wifi (yes, this airport does have free wifi).

However it is not an option unless you both use iPhones, can't turn off cell services and receive a txt on Android over wifi, nor can the local people txt your international number for free. email would of course work.

On another note, do tell the people you use how many bags you have as with 4 people and bags you are likely to need something larger than a normal local taxi.

Reason I mentioned contacting the hotel is that depending on the type and size of the hotel, some run their own shuttle service or cutesy car, other smaller hotels can suggest a reliable local firm even if you don't want to have them book it.

Thanks, especially for the tip to call hotel. Not sure what we will be doing about cell. 2 of us have iphones but not sure about international coverage for my friend. I can't get it with my service.

One service I regularly use in Europe is Suntransfers. They are based in Spain but book for all over the world. Service is acceptable in the Europe. Just used them in Dublin, Ireland this week.

Flat rate of $58-$60 in a private van (allowing for 4 persons with bags), prepaid by credit card in advance so no local currency needed on arrival. They will meet you in the airport, holding up your name on a sign.

We were going the other way but we got a cab at the cruise dock to take us to our hotel in Basel. No problem. Got our hotel to get us a cab for the airport a couple of days later.

Found all transportation in Switzerland to be very good and efficient. Private transport is a little pricey. But everything there is pricey!

Thanks to all for input. We are 4, so with luggage hard to fit in a regular cab. Swiss Taxi is who we are going with and while more than a taxi it is not more than two taxis which we would need. I'll let you know in September when we get back.