Equinox 5/5/17- 5/15/17 Changes we found onboard with Excursions and Guest Relations

tgm

Before I start, We really enjoyed our cruise however there are some changes that came about because obc can now be booked before sailing. Before this procedure came into effect, we pre-paid for our excursions expecting that once on board we would cancel and re-book using our obc. You can no longer do this! We did find someone that would do this for us but we had to pay the "on board price" which was about $10 + for all the excursions. One excursion I would not recommend is Island Tour & Tiki Beach in Grand Cayman. We paid $74.75 pp and had a ride around GC. The guide must have been a new hire because he could not remember what he was suppose to be telling us even if we could understand him. Tiki Beach is sooo small with people on top of each other and no shade. Umbrellas were $30 which are the cheapest on the beach. You are only there for 2 hrs and sharp rocks in the water made it impossible to walk or stand to try and cool off. When back on board we went to the Excursion Desk and did get 50% credit for our experience and suggested that Celebrity try and find a better beach. There are some other lovely beaches on GC.

Another change was with Guest Relations - they can no longer explain your bill. Figuring it out is a lot more complicated than before.

We were on the Equinox for Jazz sailing that was prior to yours. I don't understand the part about paying for excursion and then canceling so you can use your OBC when you can now book excursions before sailing using your OBC.

We did have a problem with figuring out our folio as Celebrity's accounting system is very confusing. Guest Realtions explained it to us but it still didn't make any sense as wel had a lot of adddtions and subtractions that I couldn't account for. At the end of the cruise my receipts added up to the SBC that I had and had a zero balance due. I totally ignored their system. Added up my receipts and deducted it from my SBC . Spent all my

SBC and didn't owe anything. Received our CC bill and there were no extra phantom charges as we have experienced in the past for the mini bar.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Edited by miched

Why not?

Before I start, We really enjoyed our cruise however there are some changes that came about because obc can now be booked before sailing. Before this procedure came into effect, we pre-paid for our excursions expecting that once on board we would cancel and re-book using our obc. You can no longer do this! We did find someone that would do this for us but we had to pay the "on board price" which was about $10 + for all the excursions. One excursion I would not recommend is Island Tour & Tiki Beach in Grand Cayman. We paid $74.75 pp and had a ride around GC. The guide must have been a new hire because he could not remember what he was suppose to be telling us even if we could understand him. Tiki Beach is sooo small with people on top of each other and no shade. Umbrellas were $30 which are the cheapest on the beach. You are only there for 2 hrs and sharp rocks in the water made it impossible to walk or stand to try and cool off. When back on board we went to the Excursion Desk and did get 50% credit for our experience and suggested that Celebrity try and find a better beach. There are some other lovely beaches on GC.

Another change was with Guest Relations - they can no longer explain your bill. Figuring it out is a lot more complicated than before.

I don't understand the part about paying for excursion and then canceling so you can use your OBC when you can now book excursions before sailing using your OBC.

I'm not the OP, but we might have tried the same thing.

As the process of booking and paying with OBC before the cruise is still fairly new, many future cruisers (like my own family) had already pre-paid for our excursions before the OBC payment option was announced.

The good news is that we had already decided we would use our OBC for drinks anyway! :cool:

Not sure I understand your plan to purchase excursions on line and then cancel and rebook them on board. We've always purchased our shore exc. on line because we saved minimum of 10% pp. The one time I had to change one the amount I paid on line was refunded to my credit card and the one I rebooked (same price) cost about $10 more on board. This happened over a year ago, so I don't think it's anything new.

Not sure I understand your plan to purchase excursions on line and then cancel and rebook them on board. We've always purchased our shore exc. on line because we saved minimum of 10% pp. The one time I had to change one the amount I paid on line was refunded to my credit card and the one I rebooked (same price) cost about $10 more on board. This happened over a year ago, so I don't think it's anything new.

The option to use OBC to pay for Shore Excursions on the website before the cruise is fairly new.

Like the OP, many of us purchased shore excursions with our credit cards, which has always been the standard procedure BEFORE the option to pre-pay with OBC was available.

The thought was likely to cancel the pre-paid excursions and re-book using OBC instead.

Sounds like celebrity is not entertaining that option at this time.

The option to use OBC to pay for Shore Excursions on the website before the cruise is fairly new.

Like the OP, many of us purchased shore excursions with our credit cards, which has always been the standard procedure BEFORE the option to pre-pay with OBC was available.

The thought was likely to cancel the pre-paid excursions and re-book using OBC instead.

Sounds like celebrity is not entertaining that option at this time.

Oh I hope not....that sounds like a terrible idea!!

When I upgraded my beverage package online, it gave me the option to pay for it or use OBC. I would image the same is true for excursions. If that is the case, am I missing something here? Are they simply not allowing you to cancel anymore?

When I upgraded my beverage package online, it gave me the option to pay for it or use OBC. I would image the same is true for excursions. If that is the case, am I missing something here? Are they simply not allowing you to cancel anymore?

I had the same experience when I booked my latest excursion. I had the choice of using OBC or credit card. Not 100% certain about the discount though.

What I believe is happening to some cruisers:

The ability to use OBC for excursions is new.

Some people purchased excursions prior to the rule change, so they are now looking for refunds

so they can apply the OBC to excursions.

Mac