Is there a way of knowing which lines are good at what?

helenliz

Helenliz... I don't know if you travelled RCI out of the UK, but they, and their Celebrity line, have changed things on board for Brits- there's no tipping on drinks (though the extra is added to the price); there's a kettle in each cabin for a real cuppa, though take your favourite tea bags, and there's back bacon at breakfast!

Have a look at Thomson (no tipping); Fred Olsen, P&O, Cruise and Maritime... tips between £4-6 per day..- even Saga (if you're old enough!- 50+). We've tired of the ships which add tips on to everything, and which seem to have sugar and salt even in salad dressings.. bland for some tastes, but healthier.

All ships tell porkies about destinations, and say they're cruising to Rome, Pisa, Paris- even London, when they mean Southampton which is nowhere near! Check where the ports are before booking, and what the shuttle rates are with that line.

I hope you find something which you love. :)

For a decent cup of tea, you need to travel on a UK cruise line. My husband also thinks that American coffee is forgettable, but some American lines have decent coffee, for example Oceania (not the British Oceana). They also have a proper tea time in the afternoon. It is true that American tastes run sweet. Even on Oceania, their most popular Asian dish is too sweet imho, but most passengers like it that way.

Best food and best tea (bags and loose leaf) so far on Europa 2, a German luxury ship that accommodates English speakers with a dedicated translator. They don't put ice in your drinks unless you insist. I found it annoying to have to request it, but 'not too cold' is what the majority of the passengers prefer.

I am sure that a line catering to mainly British passengers is adapted to their preferences.

Have hubby try Peet's coffee (1 tblsp per cup of good water) - easy to find in better stores throughout the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums