What currency should I tip in

Jarronwood

Hi Guys

Going next year on LOS cruising the Med from Southampton. As I understand it the LOS converts from $ to £ for the European cruises. I have in mind giving my cabin attendant say a £20 note at the start of the cruise. First though I shall ask him for extra pillows, cushions for my deck chairs, a lounger for my balcony, extra towels, robes and then if I get good service with that I will pop £20 into his hand.

But now heres the question, although the ship has converted into pounds we are visiting European ports so the money will be in Euros (except Gibraltar which is pounds). Should I give my cabin attendant pounds or euros.

He will obviously get the obligatory envelope at the end with his tip plus more if I get good service.

I've tipped in US and Canadian currency and as long as the amount works out to the suggested US $ amount I haven't heard one complaint. I did have to explain to one room attendant that it was Canadian currency and yes, was able to be converted to US $. I don't think he had much experience with our colourful money and probably thought it was phoney. I'm sure he was able to convert in on board even. It wasn't my plan but I was pretty much out of US cash.

Tipping in US dollars would not be practical seeing as I live in the UK. I dont need any US dollars for my Med cruise so guess that good old English pounds or Euros will have to do. I had not planned on changing my English money until our first port of call. Do they have change bureaus on the ship? If they do I suspect the exchange rate is the pits?

Tell me please then what you all do at the end of a European cruise sailing into both the UK and a European port. Do you give US dollars? Also, at the end of a Med Cruise how does the account arrive - Pounds or Euros? I would imagine in Pounds since the Legend converts into British currency and I have heard it changes their catering requirements towards the British market.

Your comments please

Archived