When to Cruise Alaska

heretohavefun2#

Please help...We are 2 couples over 60 and we want to cruise either in May or September...which is better...also all we are looking for is a few days to see Denali and then catch a 7 day cruise..

I have heard lots of pros on Princess and several cons on Holland America

Please help any advise will be appreciated :cool:

Thoughts...

• do you like daylight.... May will give you more daylight.
  • do you like dry port weather.... May is statistically dryer. September is preferred by storm chasers.
  • late May will have more things open compared to early May.
  • September is make getting to Tracy Arm easier as May often has ice.

May is often decent, you can get rain in either. We cruised with Celebrity last May and it was great. If you want to see ice then May is better. You won't see any salmon in May. The gardens look good in May, they can look less so in September after a summer of watering restrictions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The temp just outside of Anchorage in the town of Palmer/Wasilla was reported by a friend as 36 degrees. It snowed at Princess Lodge in Denali park yesterday stopping a couple tours from heading out.

My family lives in Anchorage I would sail in either June (I actually sail June 11 with HAL) or September. May is just too early and weather iffy. Webcam showed rain in Juneau on the dock ALL day yesterday. Weather in Alaska can be all over the place. Bring layers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have had exceptional cruises in May. May is my choice over any other months (and I have cruised in June/July also).

Plan to be at Denali after June 1st for best access into park. I would cruise in May and then land part in June (so reverse of what you suggested).

I would not go in September unless you want fall colors. The potential for really bad weather starts mid-September.

As far as daylight May will be like July and September more like March - so a two moth difference. Might mean a slim chance of Northern Lights at Denali in Sept. but only if clear. Sept. is generally still dominated by clear high pressure in Seattle area and dry but farther north the Gulf of Alaska low pressure area starts up by then.

JVilleGal - Zandam or Oosterdam on June 11?

As far as daylight May will be like July and September more like March - so a two moth difference. Might mean a slim chance of Northern Lights at Denali in Sept. but only if clear. Sept. is generally still dominated by clear high pressure in Seattle area and dry but farther north the Gulf of Alaska low pressure area starts up by then.

JVilleGal - Zandam or Oosterdam on June 11?

Yes Zaandam sailing from Vancouver on June 11. Fun way to visit family in Anchorage and attend my 45th high school reunion (East Anchorage HS - Go Thunderbirds!) we have always done a Seattle RT and never a full Northbound. Looking forward to the memories Alaska has for me :)

Will I be able to go into the Denali at the first of September...

I would say yes and late late May, early June.

But remember this IS Alaska! The final Frontier (don't tell the Star Trek folks that)