Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, & ISP Need help with excursions! ice cave, heli, train..

fourcruisers2016

Oh my gosh most amazing video ever!! Now I'm even more excited for this experience!

With regards to Skagway, the train is the best choice. You also learn about the gold rush history on the trains also apparently? If you're interested in hiking in the Yukon have you looked at packer expeditions? They offer a couple awesome hikes: I'm doing the Laughton glacier hike and white pass rail. It includes the train ride to the Yukon:)

I just looked at Packer Expeditions. I had not before. The Laughton glacier hike looks like it would be great. May be a bit much for my family, but maybe next time when the kids are a little older. :) Hikes are definitely on our list though. I'll look closer at the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ok. Sounds like I must definitely ask for James to be our driver and do the 7.5 hour trip!

EndersFoul - Thank you for commenting about the Fjords. I was considering that excursion! Not sure if your tablemates took a boat or seaplane. Either way, I think I'd rather put that $$ toward a different flightseeing tour. Maybe a heli flight in Denali or on another glacier. I think the lumberjack show would be cute too, but I haven't convinced my husband. Thought about the deadliest catch crab fishing tour as well, but it seems a bit "touristy" and expensive for what it is. I may be wrong though, because it has very good reviews.

lucy2mb - I have heard the mosquitos can be monstrous! I hadn't thought about them being in that area though, so something to think about! I primarily had heard about them being near Wonder Lake in Denali which is one reason we opted to stop at Eielson visitor center.

Our tablemates did the fjords and said it was nothing you couldn't see from the ship.

Hello and can you please elaborate on this? Was this a float plane your table mates took? Because I am seriously considering splurging on a float plane excursion to Misty Fjords and I have only heard raves about it! Now I'm a little concerned.

Hello and can you please elaborate on this? Was this a float plane your table mates took? Because I am seriously considering splurging on a float plane excursion to Misty Fjords and I have only heard raves about it! Now I'm a little concerned.

I am choosing a kayak excursions and float plane to misty fjords floatplane combination tour, it's 5 hours in total. The float plane is 1 hour and a half, with a 20 minute landing in the fjords.

Same, every review I have read said that the misty fjords by float plane is the number one thing to see while in ketchikan and shouldn't be missed! 3000 foot granite cliffs, fjords as big as Connecticut, plus views of wildlife such as bears, whales and sheep from the plane, waterfalls coming out of the cliffs. You could you not be awe inspired by this! :).

If I were you I would look into the misty fjords flightseeing tours.

I Heard Island wing tours is one of the best. They offer a two hour flight with a half hour landing included, and you get a chance to explore :)

I am choosing a kayak excursions and float plane to misty fjords floatplane combination tour, it's 5 hours in total. The float plane is 1 hour and a half, with a 20 minute landing in the fjords.

Same, every review I have read said that the misty fjords by float plane is the number one thing to see while in ketchikan and shouldn't be missed! 3000 foot granite cliffs, fjords as big as Connecticut, plus views of wildlife such as bears, whales and sheep from the plane, waterfalls coming out of the cliffs. You could you not be awe inspired by this! :).

If I were you I would look into the misty fjords flightseeing tours.

I Heard Island wing tours is one of the best. They offer a two hour flight with a half hour landing included, and you get a chance to explore :)

Ya I definitely understand about the packer expedition hikes, might be a little too strenuous for your kids. There's definitely always next

Time :)

Another vote to take the 7.5 hr trip with Chilkoot directly. We did it back in 2007 with kids 18,14 & 13 Boy/Girl Girl

They love it. We will be going it again with my 70 yr old sister and her hubby in Skagway on the 17th of June.

Regarding the float plane, we also did it ten years ago and have it booked again as well in Ketch. No way you see that scenery from the ship. We too landed on the Fjord and got out for a short while.

Absolutely breath taking.

Enjoy :cool:

Another vote to take the 7.5 hr trip with Chilkoot directly. We did it back in 2007 with kids 18,14 & 13 Boy/Girl Girl

They love it. We will be going it again with my 70 yr old sister and her hubby in Skagway on the 17th of June.

Regarding the float plane, we also did it ten years ago and have it booked again as well in Ketch. No way you see that scenery from the ship. We too landed on the Fjord and got out for a short while.

That's awesome Green4me, good for you! :). I cannot wait for the fjords experience. I'm literally dreaming about looking down on those misty mountains every night lol

We loved the Chilkoot 7.5 hour trip in 2012. My boys were 6 & 12 and had a blast. I highly recommend them. They are the company I always recommend. The Yukon is worth it.

We loved the Chilkoot 7.5 hour trip in 2012. My boys were 6 & 12 and had a blast. I highly recommend them. They are the company I always recommend. The Yukon is worth it.

Just booked the 7.5hr tour with Chilkoot and requested James for our driver! I wish I could quote everyone who had made the suggestions for the tour because it was the collaboration of all who helped us make that final decision!

Just booked the 7.5hr tour with Chilkoot and requested James for our driver! I wish I could quote everyone who had made the suggestions for the tour because it was the collaboration of all who helped us make that final decision!

That's awesome! So happy for you! Take lots of pics and videos. Savour each moment and breath!