FLL...Fairfield Inn or Springhill Suites

4FRCruising

Trying to decide between Fairfield Inn or Springhill Suites for my 9/23 cruise on the Splendor. I'm especially interested to know just how short (or long) a walk it is to food. Burger King or Wendy's is fine....I just can't walk a very long distance (1 block might be about the longest if I'm having a good day). Also which has a better breakfast - thought I saw that one of them had omelettes.

Thanks for your help:)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Fairfield Inn has a Wendy's and Dunkin Donuts in the parking lot.

Springhill Suites has a Burger King right in front, a Chipotle about 100 yards east. Or cross at the traffic light from BK and a McDonalds and Taco Bell are about another 75 yards walk.

Many hotels in the Oakwood Plaza area will shuttle you to the full service restaurants (Moonlite Diner, Ale House, TGIFridays, Red Lobster if you dare) which are one half to one mile from the hotel cluster at the Stirling Road entrance--for the offer of a gratuity of course. Not entirely sure about the Springhill Suites.

As they are both from the same parent company I'm pretty sure the breakfasts are identical: the "hot" food is confined to what you place in the microwave or toaster; any semblance to cooked-to-order is purely coincidental. (Happy to be corrected on this if so).

Fairfield Inn has a Wendy's and Dunkin Donuts in the parking lot.

Springhill Suites has a Burger King right in front, a Chipotle about 100 yards east. Or cross at the traffic light from BK and a McDonalds and Taco Bell are about another 75 yards walk.

Many hotels in the Oakwood Plaza area will shuttle you to the full service restaurants (Moonlite Diner, Ale House, TGIFridays, Red Lobster if you dare) which are one half to one mile from the hotel cluster at the Stirling Road entrance--for the offer of a gratuity of course. Not entirely sure about the Springhill Suites.

As they are both from the same parent company I'm pretty sure the breakfasts are identical: the "hot" food is confined to what you place in the microwave or toaster; any semblance to cooked-to-order is purely coincidental. (Happy to be corrected on this if so).

Thanks so much for your help/info. Just as an FYI-last time I stayed at Hyatt on 17th & went to Outback for dinner & that was a very difficult walk/distance for me. That is why I'm so concerned about distance to food. Good to know about the possibility of a shuttle to-love Fridays.

Trying to decide between Fairfield Inn or Springhill Suites for my 9/23 cruise on the Splendor. I'm especially interested to know just how short (or long) a walk it is to food. Burger King or Wendy's is fine....I just can't walk a very long distance (1 block might be about the longest if I'm having a good day). Also which has a better breakfast - thought I saw that one of them had omelettes.

Thanks for your help:)

Tropical Acres, Islamorada Fish Company next to Bass Pro Shop and Rustic Inn Crabhouse are about 2 blocks from the Fairfield Inn. Beyond that is a Mexican Restaurant and an Irish Restaurant/Pub. I think they have a shuttle van that would take you to any of them.

SpringHill Suites has a free shuttle to Port Everglades. Both have airport shuttles.

Homewood Suites next door to Fairfield Inn has the best breakfast and is owned by the same group. Just go in and help yourself and they will never know your a guest from next door.

Am I the only one that is bothered by this?

Why does it bother you? Same ownership, same company. Do you really think it makes a difference to the owners if they feed him breakfast at one or the other?

Guests from both hotel ride the same shuttle van. Does that bother you?

Why does it bother you? Same ownership, same company. Do you really think it makes a difference to the owners if they feed him breakfast at one or the other?

Guests from both hotel ride the same shuttle van. Does that bother you?

Not the same ownership. Fairfield Inn is a Marriott property & Homewood Suites is a Hilton property.

Tropical Acres, Islamorada Fish Company next to Bass Pro Shop and Rustic Inn Crabhouse are about 2 blocks from the Fairfield Inn. Beyond that is a Mexican Restaurant and an Irish Restaurant/Pub. I think they have a shuttle van that would take you to any of them.

SpringHill Suites has a free shuttle to Port Everglades. Both have airport shuttles.

Homewood Suites next door to Fairfield Inn has the best breakfast and is owned by the same group. Just go in and help yourself and they will never know your a guest from next door.

Tropical Acres is under a half mile away, but Islamorada Fish Co is a full mile as the roads & sidewalks run. And the bridge is still out on Ravenswood Rd so walking directly to Rustic Inn is a no-go even without mobility worries. From either of the OPs choices if anything finer than casual franchise food is desired a short taxi/Uber ride will be necessary.

Same ownership, same company. Do you really think it makes a difference to the owners if they feed him breakfast at one or the other?

Well technically it is the same local franchisee operating two hotels from two competing parent corporations. Sharing the shuttle van--which undoubtedly is licensed as an independent entity from either hotel--is a non-issue, but openly allowing guests from either property to breakfast at the opposite could be a violation of the respective franchise agreements--especially as providing a head count from breakfast (independent of the number of guests registered) is likely a requirement.

So as a practical matter, questionable. As an issue of discomfort--if a one-night tourist gets away with it, good for them.

Thanks so much for your help/info. Just as an FYI-last time I stayed at Hyatt on 17th & went to Outback for dinner & that was a very difficult walk/distance for me. That is why I'm so concerned about distance to food. Good to know about the possibility of a shuttle to-love Fridays.

We have stayed at the Springfield Suites several times and there is a Burger King right next door. You can also order take out from local restaurants. The front desk has menus. I can relate to your situation as I have mobility issues and walking can be challenging.... good luck and have a great cruise.

Not the same ownership. Fairfield Inn is a Marriott property & Homewood Suites is a Hilton property.

JHM Hotels in Greenville, SC owns Marriots, Courtyards, Renassaince, La Quintas, Hiltons, Hamptons Inns, Hilton Garden Inns, Comfort Suites, Hyatts, Sheratons and...

They actually own the SpringHill Suites the OP is asking about.

https://www.jhmhotels.com/jhm-portfolio/our-hotels/

Tropical Acres is under a half mile away, but Islamorada Fish Co is a full mile as the roads & sidewalks run. And the bridge is still out on Ravenswood Rd so walking directly to Rustic Inn is a no-go even without mobility worries. From either of the OPs choices if anything finer than casual franchise food is desired a short taxi/Uber ride will be necessary.

The OP's date is September 23 which is another 4 months away. The bridge on Ravenswood will most likely be done by then. Again, though, they have a van that provides transportation even to Oakwood Plaza Mall across Stirling Road from the SpringHill Suites.

Well technically it is the same local franchisee operating two hotels from two competing parent corporations. Sharing the shuttle van--which undoubtedly is licensed as an independent entity from either hotel--is a non-issue, but openly allowing guests from either property to breakfast at the opposite could be a violation of the respective franchise agreements--especially as providing a head count from breakfast (independent of the number of guests registered) is likely a requirement.

So as a practical matter, questionable. As an issue of discomfort--if a one-night tourist gets away with it, good for them.

Not everyone that stays at hotels eat the breakfast so if there was any kind of "head count" it will always come up less than registered guests. And no one does any checking, asking or sign in. I know, I've stayed at the Homewood Suites several times before I move to Ft Lauderdale.

We have stayed at Springhill Suites several times and really liked it. Free shuttles from airport to hotel and to the pier. Nice rooms, friendly staff, and decent free breakfast.

Oakwood Plaza across the busy street, with Kmart and BJ's warehouse cub (use for wine - even without membership). Mostly fast food closeby, but several mid-range restaurants about 1/2 mile away (other end of Oakwood Plaza).