Ready to go

Underway53

Agree with others - just relax. If you let every little thing that is "wrong" bother you, it will affect the time you have. That said, here's a few little things that I have found helpful and that made me feel like a real "cruiser" once I discovered them:

--Give your room steward a tip or gift on your first day (we usually leave a big bag of chocolates). They work extremely hard.

--Bring a magnet (we bring the kind with the clip) to hold all of the paper you're going to get. It will keep it from cluttering up your small space. Many of the walls are metal.

--Use a bathroom bag that unrolls and hangs up - saves space and then you don't have to unpack every little thing into that tiny bathroom

--Power strip. It's not the end of the world if you don't have one, but it's helpful for plugging in the camera battery charger and 2 phone chargers all at once.

--Alarm clock. If you plan on keeping your phones turned off, you may want a separate alarm clock.

--Speakers. We always have music on at home, so when we cruise, we download music and play it through small speakers while in the room.

--Alcohol. Each adult can carry on a bottle of wine or champagne. I have heard that you can order bottles off of Amazon that hold liquor that you put in your suitcase to get past the screeners. Of course, I would NEVER think of using them myself, ahem.

Enjoy and relax!!! My tips after being on our first cruise:

-Buy the alarm clock that has built in charging ports and an extra power outlet

-Magnetic hooks worked awesome to hang stuff and to hold papers

-If you have a balcony bring binoculars

-For us the Cheers package was worth it especially since it was all prepaid

-The internet sucks even with the best package. We won't buy it again.

-Book the steakhouse - best meal on the ship!!!!

-Store luggage under the bed and out of the way

-Read this board and learn a ton!!!!!

Don't over plan daily activities on the ship. See that your kids get to their respective clubs the first night. They will get a schedule for the entire week and can pick and choose which things interest them.

Stray out of your comfort zone a bit in the MDR. It's a great opportunity to try new dishes and appetizers.

Relax and enjoy.

Edited by bury me at sea

Power strip is a must.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

One without surge protection. A surge protector is a fire hazard onboard. We use a $3 extension cord, the kind that has three outlets at one end.

Only commercially prepared, packaged foods can be brought off in port. Some ports use dogs or do bat searches. We bring some hard candy, packaged cereal or some cereal bars from Home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Power strip is a must.

Four cruises with four people, all with phones. Also had a camera. Never brought a power strip and never had issues keeping everyone charged up. So this is not a must.

Four cruises with four people, all with phones. Also had a camera. Never brought a power strip and never had issues keeping everyone charged up. So this is not a must.

To each their own as I've done 7 cruised and always brought one so I never had to worry about which outlet has what.

I usually bring two cameras 3 phones a gopro with external chargers and extra batteries for all.

All depends on how much you use your technology.

Most rooms have 2 outlets available so bringing a strip gives you flexibilty.

i couldnt agree more!!! I have been on 20+ cruises and never had a power strip nor have i ever needed one. But to each their own. Some feel the need I guess. Just more clutter in my bag I dont need that.....lol

Ever been to Mobile in August? HOT and HUMID, and it's in top 8 cities of U.S. in annual rainfall. Be prepared. With that info, I would not arrive at the terminal until absolutely necessary just so I don't have to wait outside in the elements until my check-in time to go directly inside to the a/c.

Ever been to Mobile in August? HOT and HUMID, and it's in top 8 cities of U.S. in annual rainfall. Be prepared. With that info, I would not arrive at the terminal until absolutely necessary just so I don't have to wait outside in the elements until my check-in time to go directly inside to the a/c.

I grew up on the Texas gulf coast. I know humid! It's all good though. We're driving from San Antonio Texas with stops in New Orleans and Pascagoula to visit an old friend/high school coach. I figure the night before we'll be in Pascagoula and drive to the port the next morning.

Our family of four (college aged kids) will be in that cruise! Our daughter would tell your kiddos to order the peanut butter and jelly sandwich from Room Service! They also enjoyed swimming with the dolphins in Cozumel. Relax and enjoy your cruise! It won't be your last!

Don't over plan daily activities on the ship. See that your kids get to their respective clubs the first night. They will get a schedule for the entire week and can pick and choose which things interest them.

Stray out of your comfort zone a bit in the MDR. It's a great opportunity to try new dishes and appetizers.

Relax and enjoy.

the dining room is one of the fun parts of the cruise and you can order as many choices as you want from any section of the menu. While i'm not a fan of wasting food, we typically order several items and tend to share so everyone can taste escargot or fried alligator or even sushi if you haven't had that ever. It's nice to be able to try without committing to any one dish if you end up not liking it. have fun!