Thinking about NCL cruise

Sea and Me

We are considering a NCL cruise for November on the Pearl. I know its "freestyle" cruising. Does this mean that there are no formal nights? Would someone be kind enough to explain "freestyle" to me?? Appreciate your posts, thank you.:)

Freestyle means that there is no traditional dining like on other lines. There's no option for a set early and late dining time where you are assigned to s group table with table mates and the same service team.

Think of it like going out to dinner on the weekends at home. No reservations required at the MDR, reservations recommended at the specialties. But other than that. Go when you are hungry, generally sit at a table with just your group, in whichever waiter's section has an opening. If you go at prime time you may have a short wait but generally not too bad.

There are no formal nights and the dress code is much more casual than other nights. There is a formal MDR and a formal specialty (le bistro); which require pants. Outside of that pretty much anything goes - shorts and t shirts ok, though think they draw the line at swim wear or tank tops on guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are considering a NCL cruise for November on the Pearl. I know its "freestyle" cruising. Does this mean that there are no formal nights? Would someone be kind enough to explain "freestyle" to me?? Appreciate your posts, thank you.:)

Directly from NCL site... FAQ section:

What Should I Pack?

When it comes to what to wear, you can go resort casual or get decked-out and look your best - it’s your call. That’s the freedom of Freestyle Cruising. We even have special “Dress-Up or Not Night.” It’s the perfect opportunity to get your portrait taken with your family, that special someone or even with the ship’s Captain. Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required. Cruise casual is also allowed day and night on embarkation day. Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Traditional Bermuda shorts along with long socks, loafers and a blazer are all acceptable on a Bermuda cruise. We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants. You may want to pack a sweater too—air conditioning can be chilly. Since your suitcases are collected the night before we return home, don’t forget an overnight bag for prescriptions and need-to-have items.

Really enjoyed the Pearl and big fans of free style dining.

And if you are traveling alone or with just another, you can ask to be seated at a large table joining others from around the world. We have met some really amazing people by sitting at these larger tables.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We went on our first NCL last November and we're hooked on NCL and hooked on November cruises!!!! We will be on the 11/26/2017 9 day cruise out of NOLA on the Pearl!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are looking for the 11/10 out of NOLA, waiting to hear from my TA, also looking at air from Pittsburgh. We have not sailed Norwegian since 95, we do not know what to expect!! We sail Princess and Royal, we like the itinerary for this cruise!

We are looking for the 11/10 out of NOLA, waiting to hear from my TA, also looking at air from Pittsburgh. We have not sailed Norwegian since 95, we do not know what to expect!! We sail Princess and Royal, we like the itinerary for this cruise!

When we booked our 11/26, the 11/10 was only a 7-day. They changed it and when we called we would lose our initial free offerings so we kept our sailing. For timing purposes the 11/10 sailing would have been better for us, but I figured I will be thankful when that one is returning and we are just Heading out on ours! [emoji6]

Heya! Freestyle dining is absolutely amazing. I can't recommend it enough. It makes dinner as easy as eating in a restaurant on land. With one big difference... you don't have to pay! You can just walk out. ha ha.

I am completely hooked on NCL. I've been on 9 NCL cruises and compare everything else to NCL.

I've explained here my 10 favourite things about cruising with NCL, http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/10/08/my-favourite-10-things-about-cruising-with-ncl/ Freestyle dining being second only to the ships. I just love them!

Hope that helps and I hope you decide to cruise with NCL.

When we booked our 11/26, the 11/10 was only a 7-day. They changed it and when we called we would lose our initial free offerings so we kept our sailing. For timing purposes the 11/10 sailing would have been better for us, but I figured I will be thankful when that one is returning and we are just Heading out on ours! [emoji6]

I read on these boards that you can rebook a cruise. They suggested that when doing so you do not say cancel you say "rebook". If you really were set on the 11/10 cruise I would try again to rebook it. The one that we are thinking of has "perks". My TA has a cabin on hold for us now all we have to do is decide!!

I read on these boards that you can rebook a cruise. They suggested that when doing so you do not say cancel you say "rebook". If you really were set on the 11/10 cruise I would try again to rebook it. The one that we are thinking of has "perks". My TA has a cabin on hold for us now all we have to do is decide!!

We originally booked when the gratuities were offered too! They won't transfer those and with a 9-day cruise and gratuities going up we are saving quite a bit of money staying on the 11/26 sailing.