Help! New cruiser debating Disney Dream 3-day Halloween Cruise.

SmallMama

Hi everyone! I am new to cruising and book my first cruise for my family (parents and son) on carnival for May 2018. Well after reading reviews I decided to see if I can give Disney a try. I was look specifically at the Halloween cruise due to it will be on my birthday and to spend more time with my son before he starts school officially. Just a little background, I been in school most of my son's life, (2 1/2 years of undergrad and 1 1/2 year of grad school) so he been feeling pretty negligent and unfortunate he will be starting school next year (kindergarden) so I am trying play making up for time with a few trips. Anyway, I was wondering has anyone took this cruise? When is it a great time to book for this cruise? Right now for a ocean view 8D it will cost us 1,796. Is that a reasonable price or should I look at other options. I do not want an interior room do to my son does not like the dark too much. So any advice will help. Thanks!

Generally, you want to book right away because prices normally go higher. There are some times when a cruise isn't selling out and they will offer discounted sailings when it is much closer to the sail date, but you can't count on that. If you are sure of the cruise you want, you should book it ASAP. There are some travel agents who specialize in Disney and many of them will give you some on board credit. You may end up with $25 or $50 dollars booking it through one of them. The money goes directly to your on board account for purchases on the cruise. If you shop at Costco, you can book through them and get a Costco cash card after the cruise to use at their stores.

Generally, you want to book right away because prices normally go higher. There are some times when a cruise isn't selling out and they will offer discounted sailings when it is much closer to the sail date, but you can't count on that. If you are sure of the cruise you want, you should book it ASAP. There are some travel agents who specialize in Disney and many of them will give you some on board credit. You may end up with $25 or $50 dollars booking it through one of them. The money goes directly to your on board account for purchases on the cruise. If you shop at Costco, you can book through them and get a Costco cash card after the cruise to use at their stores.

Thanks! I am looking at one travel agency that will give me on, but going through my job make the cruise about $100 cheaper. I want book as soon as possible since I read that they do go up as time go on. I just waiting to hear from my sister to see if my niece and her will join us.

I hope I don't start a huge debate here, but here goes. Which would you be doing first-the Carnival or the Disney? The only reason I ask is because there is a world of difference between the 2 lines. I LOVE cruising, I LOVE both lines, but if you've never cruised before, taking Disney first (before any middle of the road line-CCL, RCCL, NCL, X, Princess, etc) is setting a high bar for what you're going to expect out of a cruise. You might be just a little dissapointed if you take Carnival after Disney. I'm not bashing Carnival, I love them, too-check my signature, but the activities, dining, service, shows, and cabins on Disney are better. But they should be, shouldn't they? After all, Disney is quite a bit more expensive. That's my opinion.

Booking--sooner is better. Cruise prices on DCL only VERY rarely go down. A 3 night cruise is really only 2 1/2 days long. A 4 night costs a little more but is a much better value as it gives you a sea day. You are looking at $600 per night...only you can decide if that it "worth it." Book the cabin that makes you happy, but don't denigrate the others--the magic porthole in the interior cabins on the Dream and Fantasy are a lot of fun. If there are only 3 of you and price is important, you might look into some of the "partially obstructed view" cabins which sell at lower prices. I stayed in one on the Magic and found the obstruction to be quite minimal. You can always book for yourself now and let sister take care of herself when she gets it figured out--you don't know whether costs will be the same or higher tomorrow or next week!

You can't make up for time missed with your child, you can only have today. And while it it great to have some time before school starts, family time will continue to be important after he starts school....whether that means a cruise or other activity. You went to grad school? In what?

We took the 3 day cruise with our family and felt rushed and wished we had done the 4 day cruise.

Nassau was not that exciting, but he might like "swimming with Dolphins". Their private island is really nice for swimming and snorkeling. My niece and her son brought their own mask and snorkels.

Their was a pirate theme Dinner the related activities up by pool. Then fireworks. My niece and her son wore their swimsuit under their regular clothes to board the ship in order to ride the water slide right when they got on the ship. Someone on cruisecritic recommended doing that to get a chance to use water slides before they got crowded.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you wish to snorkel on Castaway Cay, you can bring all your own equipment, your own mask and snorkel (and rent fins), or rent the whole set. For kids, it is a really good idea to get them used to breathing thru the snorkel in a local pool or wherever. You are required to wear a safety vest (you don't have to inflate it), and these are available at no charge at Gil's (the place you get the snorkel equipment) or at the lifeguard stations.

On the 4 night, you'll also have the pirate menu in the dining room in addition to the activities on deck. And of course you'll have the sea day activities.

I'm with the above--Nassau is dirty, and not anywhere near to my favorite port. Good idea is to stay on the ship and enjoy all it has to offer! Half the people or more will get off, so the ship is lovely on that day.

I hope I don't start a huge debate here, but here goes. Which would you be doing first-the Carnival or the Disney? The only reason I ask is because there is a world of difference between the 2 lines. I LOVE cruising, I LOVE both lines, but if you've never cruised before, taking Disney first (before any middle of the road line-CCL, RCCL, NCL, X, Princess, etc) is setting a high bar for what you're going to expect out of a cruise. You might be just a little dissapointed if you take Carnival after Disney. I'm not bashing Carnival, I love them, too-check my signature, but the activities, dining, service, shows, and cabins on Disney are better. But they should be, shouldn't they? After all, Disney is quite a bit more expensive. That's my opinion.

I will be taking Carnival first since it was recommend it to do a cheaper cruise for my first to et the feel of cruising. On all the reviews I have read, almost all have stated that Disney cannot compare which is why I am looking to book Disney.

We took the 3 day cruise with our family and felt rushed and wished we had done the 4 day cruise.

Nassau was not that exciting, but he might like "swimming with Dolphins". Their private island is really nice for swimming and snorkeling. My niece and her son brought their own mask and snorkels.

Their was a pirate theme Dinner the related activities up by pool. Then fireworks. My niece and her son wore their swimsuit under their regular clothes to board the ship in order to ride the water slide right when they got on the ship. Someone on cruisecritic recommended doing that to get a chance to use water slides before they got crowded.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unfortunately, we are not ready for snorkeling. I am not the best swimmer and he had a minor setback with having the wrong teacher who did not teach him much for 2 years. By time, I realize he could do more with the right teacher it was winter and he cannot swim in the winter since his allergies are worst in the winter. I know my son would love the pirate night since he is obsessed with Captain Jake and the Neverland Pirates. That is a good idea to have the swimsuit under his clothes. Thanks!

Booking--sooner is better. Cruise prices on DCL only VERY rarely go down. A 3 night cruise is really only 2 1/2 days long. A 4 night costs a little more but is a much better value as it gives you a sea day. You are looking at $600 per night...only you can decide if that it "worth it." Book the cabin that makes you happy' date=' but don't denigrate the others--the magic porthole in the interior cabins on the Dream and Fantasy are a lot of fun. If there are only 3 of you and price is important, you might look into some of the "partially obstructed view" cabins which sell at lower prices. I stayed in one on the Magic and found the obstruction to be quite minimal. You can always book for yourself now and let sister take care of herself when she gets it figured out--you don't know whether costs will be the same or higher tomorrow or next week!

You can't make up for time missed with your child, you can only have today. And while it it great to have some time before school starts, family time will continue to be important after he starts school....whether that means a cruise or other activity. You went to grad school? In what?[/quote']

I would of loved to do the 4 night cruise, but since we are taking a vacation in May and July my vacation time was limited. I am planning on booking today since I really want to do this trip partial because it is my golden birthday and we are huge Disney fans so much I have a Minnie mouse suitcase and my son has Winnie the Pooh. After searching between my job discounts and a traveling agent. I let the traveling agent choose the right stateroom for our party size which she came up with a ocean view and it cost less than I stated before with OBC! Yes, I am still in grad school at Keller/DeVry which planning trips help keep me sane. I will be done in April 2018 which is why most of my trips are soon after.

If it works in your schedule, I'd give up the Carnival in exchange for a longer DCL cruise. Your title line lists you as from Chicago. By the time you pay for airfare and transportation to the cruise terminal plus the cost of the Carnival cruise, you could probably do a week on DCL.

I'm with the others--for young kids, DCL wins out over all the others. We've done several other mainstream lines and found that food quality and service for adults can be on the same level as DCL...but entertainment and kid programming is Disney all the way. We have found better adult programming on other lines.

Carnival has been working hard to lost the "booze cruise" reputation and has partially succeeded on their 7 night and longer cruises. However, their 3 nighters still tend to attract a less than family oriented crowd, especially shortly after colleges finish spring semester.

If it works in your schedule' date=' I'd give up the Carnival in exchange for a longer DCL cruise. Your title line lists you as from Chicago. By the time you pay for airfare and transportation to the cruise terminal plus the cost of the Carnival cruise, you could probably do a week on DCL.

I'm with the others--for young kids, DCL wins out over all the others. We've done several other mainstream lines and found that food quality and service for adults can be on the same level as DCL...but entertainment and kid programming is Disney all the way. We have found better adult programming on other lines.

Carnival has been working hard to lost the "booze cruise" reputation and has partially succeeded on their 7 night and longer cruises. However, their 3 nighters still tend to attract a less than family oriented crowd, especially shortly after colleges finish spring semester.[/quote']

My sister works for the airlines so we do not pay the normal fares. The only thing we have to do is fly on standby which is why most our flights will be early or late and we do plan on leaving the day based on the reviews I have read. I wanted to do Disney before I booked Carnival, but once my parents got involved I caved to make them happy which I do regret since I knew in my heart I wanted to do Disney. The plan is to book once on the cruise a 7 day for the following year. It will cost more since it is a longer cruise and it will have to be in the summer since my son will be in school. I would of love to do a 7 day in December, but the way the Midwest's winters are I do not think that will be a wise idea.

My sister works for the airlines so we do not pay the normal fares. The only thing we have to do is fly on standby which is why most our flights will be early or late and we do plan on leaving the day based on the reviews I have read. I wanted to do Disney before I booked Carnival, but once my parents got involved I caved to make them happy which I do regret since I knew in my heart I wanted to do Disney. The plan is to book once on the cruise a 7 day for the following year. It will cost more since it is a longer cruise and it will have to be in the summer since my son will be in school. I would of love to do a 7 day in December, but the way the Midwest's winters are I do not think that will be a wise idea.

Honestly, for a kid in K or first grade, I'd pull him out for a cruise without thinking twice (provided he is a good student). And I wouldn't play the crap about "make up work" while on vacation. Let them deal with what is mostly busy work anyhow when they get back. The first 2 weeks in December are among my favorite times to cruise--lowest fares since it is "off season," all the Christmas (called Merrytime on Disney) decorations and activities are up, and the ships are less crowded. There are very few teens as they can't miss school...which makes it much more enjoyable for little kids and adult only families.

Getting away from midwest winters is great--I lived with them for LOTS of years. The key is to fly down a day or two early and purchase travel insurance to cover anything that is non-refundable. There are lots of totally decent hotels in the MCO area, most with complimentary transportation (to/from airport) and breakfast. And they usually have a 6pm cancelation policy so if your flight is delayed, you won't pay for an unused night. You can also choose to go over to WDW--that costs a lot more and has a far less forgiving cancelation policy but is a lot of fun. We choose our hotel based on our expected arrival time--if we'll have time to enjoy WDW, that's great. But if we are doing an "after school/work" arrival on Friday and just want a clean, safe place to stay for the night, we stick to the MCO area.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do...just pointing out that you have lots of options. And a 7 night cruise beats a 3 or 4 night by far. Unfortunately, they are pricey...but off season helps a lot, and sometimes you can pick up "last minute" deals on those in the off season. By last minute, I mean that the rates are usually available about 2 months before the cruise.

Honestly' date=' for a kid in K or first grade, I'd pull him out for a cruise without thinking twice (provided he is a good student). And I wouldn't play the crap about "make up work" while on vacation. Let them deal with what is mostly busy work anyhow when they get back. The first 2 weeks in December are among my favorite times to cruise--lowest fares since it is "off season," all the Christmas (called Merrytime on Disney) decorations and activities are up, and the ships are less crowded. There are very few teens as they can't miss school...which makes it much more enjoyable for little kids and adult only families.

Getting away from midwest winters is great--I lived with them for LOTS of years. The key is to fly down a day or two early and purchase travel insurance to cover anything that is non-refundable. There are lots of totally decent hotels in the MCO area, most with complimentary transportation (to/from airport) and breakfast. And they usually have a 6pm cancelation policy so if your flight is delayed, you won't pay for an unused night. You can also choose to go over to WDW--that costs a lot more and has a far less forgiving cancelation policy but is a lot of fun. We choose our hotel based on our expected arrival time--if we'll have time to enjoy WDW, that's great. But if we are doing an "after school/work" arrival on Friday and just want a clean, safe place to stay for the night, we stick to the MCO area.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do...just pointing out that you have lots of options. And a 7 night cruise beats a 3 or 4 night by far. Unfortunately, they are pricey...but off season helps a lot, and sometimes you can pick up "last minute" deals on those in the off season. By last minute, I mean that the rates are usually available about 2 months before the cruise.[/quote']

Thanks for all the information. At this time, I can tell school will be a challenge for him. I am hopefully he will grow out of his stubborn I don't want to do anything that is a challenge attitude. I did see that the Halloween cruise for this year is about $300 cheaper then next year. If only I could take that trip I would of.

Have you every used go port Canaveral for their fly snooze cruise package? Also, do you know how their key to the world card works? Can we put are key card to be bill our individual credit/debit?

Thanks for all the information. At this time, I can tell school will be a challenge for him. I am hopefully he will grow out of his stubborn I don't want to do anything that is a challenge attitude. I did see that the Halloween cruise for this year is about $300 cheaper then next year. If only I could take that trip I would of.

Have you every used go port Canaveral for their fly snooze cruise package? Also, do you know how their key to the world card works? Can we put are key card to be bill our individual credit/debit?

The KTTW card is your account and everything on board--opens your room, use it to get on and off the ship (adults also need photo ID government issued). Each KTTW card can be tied to a different credit card or cash, so no worries about how many cards are in the room--each has a separate account. If you and your sister go, you tie your card and your son's card to your credit card and she ties her KTTW to her credit card. Totally easy!

I did the fly/snooze/cruise thru the Hyatt Place when it first started--it was A LOT cheaper then! The only kicker is that there is a single bus that goes to the cruise terminal so you have to be OK with that time. Other alternatives are to do a one day car rental --pick up at MCO and drop off at Coral Beach/Cape Canaveral. The car places have a free shuttle back to the cruise terminal. If you have more than one adult, you can drop off all passengers and luggage before returning the car and they can start checking in for the cruise while the driver handles the car. The third alternative is to return to MCO and take DCL transportation to the port ($35 per person each way).....or have a limo service take you from the hotel to the cruise terminal. The "break even" between DCL transportation vs. limo/towncar service is about 4 people. More than 4, towncar/limo is cheaper. Car rental is least costly but most hassle. So, like everything involved in cruising, you choose between cost and ease. In general the cheaper ways involve more effort on your part.

The KTTW card is your account and everything on board--opens your room' date=' use it to get on and off the ship (adults also need photo ID government issued). Each KTTW card can be tied to a different credit card or cash, so no worries about how many cards are in the room--each has a separate account. If you and your sister go, you tie your card and your son's card to your credit card and she ties her KTTW to her credit card. Totally easy!

I did the fly/snooze/cruise thru the Hyatt Place when it first started--it was A LOT cheaper then! The only kicker is that there is a single bus that goes to the cruise terminal so you have to be OK with that time. Other alternatives are to do a one day car rental --pick up at MCO and drop off at Coral Beach/Cape Canaveral. The car places have a free shuttle back to the cruise terminal. If you have more than one adult, you can drop off all passengers and luggage before returning the car and they can start checking in for the cruise while the driver handles the car. The third alternative is to return to MCO and take DCL transportation to the port ($35 per person each way).....or have a limo service take you from the hotel to the cruise terminal. The "break even" between DCL transportation vs. limo/towncar service is about 4 people. More than 4, towncar/limo is cheaper. Car rental is least costly but most hassle. So, like everything involved in cruising, you choose between cost and ease. In general the cheaper ways involve more effort on your part.[/quote']

I see the transportation seems to take the most work. I might have to reconsider the car rental. I was not getting one original since by time I get there I would most likely just eat and relax at the hotel. However, I might find a hotel that has a car rental place attach and has a shuttle to the cruise port.

I see the transportation seems to take the most work. I might have to reconsider the car rental. I was not getting one original since by time I get there I would most likely just eat and relax at the hotel. However, I might find a hotel that has a car rental place attach and has a shuttle to the cruise port.

That doesn't make sense.....you can take the hotel shuttle free from MCO to the hotel. If they have the shuttle to the cruise terminal, you don't need a car at all. If you stay at the Hyatt Place, there is a TGI Friday's across the street (not a main street, but it is a little walk from the hotel entrance to the road), so can get dinner there. Several of the other hotels are within walking distance of food places also....or you can always have a pizza delivered to the hotel. Saves you messing with a car at all! Other hotels that have (or had) shuttles to the cruise terminal are the Hampton, Wyndham, Holiday Inn, and at least one other that I'm forgetting.

If I were going to get a car, I'd just drive it to the port. It is an easy 45 minute drive generally with minimal traffic. No need to pay for both the car and the shuttle. And car rentals are 24 hours from the time you pick it up, not per calendar day.

That doesn't make sense.....you can take the hotel shuttle free from MCO to the hotel. If they have the shuttle to the cruise terminal' date=' you don't need a car at all. If you stay at the Hyatt Place, there is a TGI Friday's across the street (not a main street, but it is a little walk from the hotel entrance to the road), so can get dinner there. Several of the other hotels are within walking distance of food places also....or you can always have a pizza delivered to the hotel. Saves you messing with a car at all! Other hotels that have (or had) shuttles to the cruise terminal are the Hampton, Wyndham, Holiday Inn, and at least one other that I'm forgetting.

If I were going to get a car, I'd just drive it to the port. It is an easy 45 minute drive generally with minimal traffic. No need to pay for both the car and the shuttle. And car rentals are 24 hours from the time you pick it up, not per calendar day.[/quote']

I have not seen a hotel that does both pick from airport and drop off/pick up from the cruise

I have not seen a hotel that does both pick from airport and drop off/pick up from the cruise

OK, I listed 4 of them for you. This is from the Hyatt Place web site, so they are still offering it. It is under "activities" (or call the hotel directly, not the 800 nationwide number. Hyatt Place is NOT the Hyatt that is IN MCO. It is a different, off site hotel. And they do offer a shuttle between MCO and the hotel. We didn't have a car when we did it...but for those who might be able to drive to the Orlando area, it is a decent place to leave your car.

Free Airport Shuttle in Orlando

Our convenient Hyatt Place hotel is only 1 ½ miles from the Orlando International Airport, the second-busiest airport in Florida. Our hotel offers contemporary-styled roomy rooms, inviting social spaces, free a.m. Kitchen Skillet™, free shuttle service, and easy options for parking near the Orlando Airport.

Cruising to Port Canaveral Package

Stay with us before your cruise, get a great night’s rest, leave the car here and enjoy roundtrip transportation to Port Canaveral for two or to Port Canaveral for four. These packages includes breakfast and free parking during your cruise - up to 14 days. Shuttle pick-up from Port Canaveral is 9:00 - 9:30 a.m. on the day of your return.

I know that the Hampton MCO, Wyndham, and Holiday Inn all offered similar packages in the past--I didn't look them up tonight.

Hampton says that they offer transportation to/from MCO and that they offer a package to "select cruise terminals." Looks like you'd need to call the to be sure that DCL is one of the terminals that they serve.

Hampton says that they offer transportation to/from MCO and that they offer a package to "select cruise terminals." Looks like you'd need to call the to be sure that DCL is one of the terminals that they serve.

Thank you so much! I have officially book and already cannot wait until the trip.:)

We like the Hyatt Place NW (see my earlier post with quotes from their web site) better than the Hampton. We've stayed at both. But either one has transportation to the port as well as to and from MCO, and both are clean and safe. I think we prefer the Hyatt Place because the breakfast is excellent and for dinner we hit the TGI Fridays across the street. Also, their airport shuttle driver will take you to a different restaurant or to a store provided he isn't busy with airport runs.

When you arrive at MCO and have claimed your luggage, you call the hotel. They tell you the number of the hotel parking space and send their van to pick you up and bring you to the hotel. THey will not send the van until you call because they are charged for the amount of time the van is parked on airport property (or so they told me). So there will be a 5-10 minute wait from the time you call till the van shows up for you.

We like the Hyatt Place NW (see my earlier post with quotes from their web site) better than the Hampton. We've stayed at both. But either one has transportation to the port as well as to and from MCO' date=' and both are clean and safe. I think we prefer the Hyatt Place because the breakfast is excellent and for dinner we hit the TGI Fridays across the street. Also, their airport shuttle driver will take you to a different restaurant or to a store provided he isn't busy with airport runs.

When you arrive at MCO and have claimed your luggage, you call the hotel. They tell you the number of the hotel parking space and send their van to pick you up and bring you to the hotel. THey will not send the van until you call because they are charged for the amount of time the van is parked on airport property (or so they told me). So there will be a 5-10 minute wait from the time you call till the van shows up for you.[/quote']

I have the Hyatt bookmark since it too early to book. I like the reviews on them and great breakfast is always a plus in our book