Vista Set the Bar High

jabba7

We just got home from a six night Western Caribbean cruise on the Vista. This was the first cruise for my wife and I, and it seems we've been bitten by the cruise bug. I can't wait to go again. However, I hope being on a relatively new ship like the Vista hasn't set the bar too high for me. I was already looking at some cruises to the Bahamas, and it seems that most of them are on the Elation. From what I can tell, it seems this ship has been around for a while, and is in need of some TLC. I guess you can't always be on the latest and greatest that Carnival has to offer.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and your new addiction! :cool: Yep, the new ships do set a pretty high bar, but a lot of the enjoyment of a cruise is obtained by your attitude. We have been on old ships and new ships and always take the same attitude - we are on this cruise to enjoy ourselves and the ship really doesn't matter. Having said that, I can say that we are sometimes mindful of some rust, worn carpets, "tired" feeling of the ship, but we just carry on and know that our fun is not compromised by those little "hickeys". :D

Thanks for your reply. That seems like a great way to approach it. It is true that a lot of the enjoyment we got over the last week came from the activities on the ship, and getting to visit the different ports. We didn't spend too much time in our room now that I think about it.

Glad you had a great cruise! It's easy to get bitten by the cruise bug for sure! But you are correct some ships are older and well loved but don't let that discourage you. There are cool things about each ship. It is up to you to find things on each ship that you want to do. Personally the Paradise is my favorite ship...just enjoy your experience!

First welcome to Cruise Critic and to your new addiction.

Second, it's nice to read complimentary thoughts on the Vista.

Third, speaking only for Carnival ships, each class has its own pros and cons. Older doesn't automatically equate to downgraded.

Nothing wrong if you believe the Vista class is for you. Nothing wrong with trying out other classes or other lines.

I hope you have many more cruises in your future.

First welcome to Cruise Critic and I'm glad you got bitten by the bug two years ago I went on the Carnival Breeze which is the second newest Carnival ship however last year I ended up on the Carnival Glory which is several years older I was not disappointed at all it was not a let down as a matter of fact last year's cruise on the glory was probably my best one also was cruising with a very close friend of mine and that was her first cruise so not to worry the main thing is the company the people. Carnival usually gives you a good product and you should be pretty happy just be advised if you go on one of the older ships you don't get the Cloud 9 Spa but the flip side is you don't have to pay extra for steam rooms and saunas so it's a trade-off hope that sheds some light for you. hope that helps you . Now go book your next cruise.:D:cool:

We just completed our 13th cruise on Carnival, and this last voyage was on the Vista. It was nice new and shiny but as you

can see from my signature that we have been on several classes of ships. We prefer the Conquest class of ship such as the Glory, Valor, Conquest and have our next booked on the Conquest. Just being on a cruise ship is important part.

Venture out and see what's best for you!

We just got home from a six night Western Caribbean cruise on the Vista. This was the first cruise for my wife and I, and it seems we've been bitten by the cruise bug. I can't wait to go again. However, I hope being on a relatively new ship like the Vista hasn't set the bar too high for me. I was already looking at some cruises to the Bahamas, and it seems that most of them are on the Elation. From what I can tell, it seems this ship has been around for a while, and is in need of some TLC. I guess you can't always be on the latest and greatest that Carnival has to offer.

Glad , now you joined the rest of us.;p

Elation is going into dry dock later his year. I have read that she will be getting the 2.0 upgrades. I don't think you will be disappointed. The Fantasy class is my favorite ships. I have never sailed the Vista. But I have sailed the Dream and Magic. We just got off the Fantasy in April which is the oldest ship and I enjoyed it as much as the bigger ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We just sailed the Elation 5/6/17. While it is an older and smaller ship, we LOVED her! We loved her so much that we booked the 7 day 5/5/18! The dry dock additions will be added bonuses for us. Our cabin had already had the upgrades. Flat screen tvs, lighted make up mirror, 2 outlets, 3 USB outlets, new decor and a password safe instead of a card swipe safe were some of the cabin upgrades I can think of. The newer carpeting and room colors of blues and greens were appealing and better than the orange and red colors they had before.

While on the ship we never felt crowded and really enjoyed a smaller crowd. The Elation was very easy to navigate and had very few areas where you had to go up a level and around something to go back down a level to get to where we were going.

Size and age of a ship are all relative to what you are looking for. Everyone has a different idea of the perfect vacation. We are just all about relaxation. Some people are all about decor, food, entertainment, pools etc etc etc. It just depends on what YOU want out of a cruise.

Happy sailing on which ever you choose!!! Welcome to the cruise addiction.

If you liked the Vista, you should love the Glory. I have been on both and Glory (8 times LOL) hands down is better. This is only my opinion, of course. I agree with others that newer doesn't automatically equal better. Kind of like cars. Sure a nice, shiny new car is great, but it's the classics that have the personality. Try them all and see for yourself. I've never had a bad cruise!

Actually after having sailed the Vista I think I would have a hard time going down below a conquest class ship, and even conquest might be stretching it for me. That said, I agree with those above that any cruise is a good cruise, but you just have more options on the newer ships. I also loved the Breeze so you could consider a cruise on that class of ship and I think you would find it comparable and enjoyable.

Just my opinions. Enjoy your next cruise!

Welcome to the club! Once you get hooked it's a scratch you have to itch! We loved the Vista as well and are looking at other cruises. My wife said she wants to go on the Vista again which is a surprise as we've never booked on the same ship. I'd like to try some other ships to see how they are as well so I can experience them. My issue with going on the smaller ships is are they going to "rock" more and you will you feel the waves more? My wife gets some motion sickness, I personally don't, so we try to go on the bigger ships to help avoid the motion some.

We cruised on the Vista back in April. We had an enjoyable cruise, but I'm in no big hurry to cruise on the Vista again anytime soon. There were some things about the ship I liked, but there were also some things I didn't like. And, contrary to what some would say, bigger is NOT always better. I prefer the Conquest class.