Bristol to Bath?? Help!

kazu

Hello, we are on the Prinsendam next year and she arrives in Bristol.

From what I have been able to determine so far, the port is an industrial one and there is a shuttle (not sure if it is at a cost or not) provided to Bristol. (This was posted in 2011 - but that is pretty old information).

We plan to go to Bath first and enjoy Bristol afterwards (we are there from 8 a.m. to 11 pm so we have lots of time). We plan to do the walking tour in Bath with the Mayor of Bath's Corp of Honorary Guides so we do want to arrive in a timely manner.

If anyone has arrived in Bristol, do you know if there is ever a shuttle to Bath provided (realize there may be a cost).

If not, would you recommend a company for transfer? Or is our only choice a shuttle to Bristol and then finding the train station?

Thank you for any words of wisdom. We appreciate the help.

I can't help with any shuttle bus, but there is fast, frequent and safe public transport from Bristol City Centre to Bath City Centre, either train from Bristol Temple Meads railway station to Bath Spa railway station (takes about 15 mins, 3 or 4 trains an hour usually) or bus (X39) from Bristol Bus Station to Bath Bus Station (at least 3 buses an hour usually, takes around 45 mins I think). Less frequent services on Sundays though (and there can be disruption to trains - so check before you travel if a Sunday).

I can't help with any shuttle bus, but there is fast, frequent and safe public transport from Bristol City Centre to Bath City Centre, either train from Bristol Temple Meads railway station to Bath Spa railway station (takes about 15 mins, 3 or 4 trains an hour usually) or bus (X39) from Bristol Bus Station to Bath Bus Station (at least 3 buses an hour usually, takes around 45 mins I think). Less frequent services on Sundays though (and there can be disruption to trains - so check before you travel if a Sunday).

thank you. :) We are there on a Wednesday so all is good from that point of view.

If you can, go and see the SS Great Britain and see what life was like on arguably the first cruise ship, built in 1843. I saw her first time in 1976 , a few years after she was brought back from the Falkland Islands for restoration in 1970.

http://www.ssgreatbritain.org/

Simon

thank you for the wonderful idea and the link :)

There will likely be a shuttle from Avonmouth (the port) to Bristol, but I can't imagine there would be one to Bath. But NewWestwardbound has given you good information as to get there by public transport.

Thanks.

There will surely be a shuttle from Avonmouth to Bristol, mebbe payable.

Then the train to Bath (station name Bath Spa) is simple, convenient, quick, frequent and inexpensive.

.Most sights are very walkable from both the rail station and the nearby coach park.

Or if you prefer the ship's arrangements check to see if Bath is offered as a "Bath on your own" or similarly-phrased excursion from the ship. It does seem an obvious excursion to offer

With those port hours, check to see if it returns late afternoon or evening, and whether it drops off in Bristol those folk who want to spend a chunk of the evening there.

Most attractions in Bath and Bristol and most other places in the UK close around 5.30.

I'm a great fan of ho-ho buses, but don't waste your time and money on the one in Bath. They're not allowed in the narrow central streets and spend most of their time jammed in traffic on the inner ring-road.

Just MHO as always

JB :)

There will surely be a shuttle from Avonmouth to Bristol, mebbe payable.

Then the train to Bath (station name Bath Spa) is simple, convenient, quick, frequent and inexpensive.

.Most sights are very walkable from both the rail station and the nearby coach park.

Or if you prefer the ship's arrangements check to see if Bath is offered as a "Bath on your own" or similarly-phrased excursion from the ship. It does seem an obvious excursion to offer

With those port hours, check to see if it returns late afternoon or evening, and whether it drops off in Bristol those folk who want to spend a chunk of the evening there.

Most attractions in Bath and Bristol and most other places in the UK close around 5.30.

I'm a great fan of ho-ho buses, but don't waste your time and money on the one in Bath. They're not allowed in the narrow central streets and spend most of their time jammed in traffic on the inner ring-road.

Just MHO as always

JB :)

Thanks very much John. Appreciate the tip of the station and the help :)

We love walking and you see more that way so we had no plans to do a ho ho :)

https://www.bristolport.co.uk/cruise/finding-bristol-cruise-terminal

I live in Bristol - thought this link for the port might be helpful :)

Good advice already given, and agree that the train to Bath is your best bet :)

Thank you very much. Looking forward to seeing some of Bristol.

• 2 months later...

So after a bit of work, I found one company that will transfer us from the port to Bath and back - 120 pounds for 8 people.

And another one that is highly rated on trip advisor (Celtic Tours) that not only offered a transfer to Bath, but tours to part of the Cotswolds and a stop in Bath for us to give enough time to see things.

We opted for the 2nd and it looks like a wonderful tour.

Just in case it is of help to anyone else.