Half Moon Cay - Personal "Tent/Cabana/Shelter" allowed?

5cruizin

We leave this week for our cruise to the Bahamas on Carnival Ecstasy, FINALLY!! One of our stops is HMC, which we plan to use as a beach day. I was reading we could rent a clamshell but I also read they are hot and stuffy because they do not allow ventilation. We are looking at purchasing our own "tent/cabana/shelter" to use while on the beach to give our little guys some shade. I've looked everywhere but can't find it we are allowed to do so and if there are size restrictions if they are allowed. Does anyone know? TIA!

I was wondering the same thing. We have a Sport-brella that we use at the beach at home that I was thinking of bringing for our HMC day. Two of my three children have really fair skin; I know they will be in the water for much of the day but having our own set up to get out of the direct sun could be worth lugging it along.

We'll be on the ecstasy in August! Come back and let us know how it went!!!

Hello Roll Call friend - we're on the same sailing as you. I will be checking the boards to see if anyone has had problems bringing a Sunbrella or similar portable clamshell. I might look around in early August for something lighter weight than what we have, as they will probably all be on clearance by then.

I was there about 4 yrs ago. I have fair skin/ red hair and was going to rent the clamshells till I saw them. They looked hot and not user friendly.

We walked the beach till we went past the pirate ship and there were trees that shaded really well. We used 2 loungers all day though spent most of the time in the water. I also think the pirate ship had bathrooms that were close too.

We stayed until the last tender boat and I was only slightly sunburned from the water cause our loungers stayed shaded the whole time. I pulled the loungers to where a tree was between them. I also wore a big hat as usual.

I also brought my own blow up floats for the water and used them as I do at every beach and nothing is ever said.

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

HMC has a lovely stretch of beach with lots of loungers that are in the shade nearly all day. It's a gorgeous beach, and if you don't *have* to be right in the thick of the action, wander down the beach a little and relax in the natural shade and the lovely ocean breeze!

Don't add to your luggage by bringing your own shade when it's already there for you to enjoy!

Enjoy your cruise!

Great news! Thanks for all the suggestions to use the trees. Are they close enough to the water that we all will feel "together" even if some are under the trees? We looked at a few "beach shade tents" that had mesh or open on 3 sides but if trees will work, I'm happy to not add to our luggage! Thanks again

Great news! Thanks for all the suggestions to use the trees. Are they close enough to the water that we all will feel "together" even if some are under the trees? We looked at a few "beach shade tents" that had mesh or open on 3 sides but if trees will work, I'm happy to not add to our luggage! Thanks again

This should give you an idea of what it looks like from the shaded areas.

ry%3D400

So glad to hear that there are chairs in the shade! I asked my cousin, who gets a tan like something out of a Hawaiian Tropic ad, and she told me everything was in the sun. I am sure she just stopped at the sunniest chair and didn't look further - thank you!!!'n

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned yesterday from our cruise and I wanted to give an up date on HMC. We didn't take a tent nor rent a cabana. We opted for a couple chairs under the trees and 2 at the water. We were on the first trip out (thanks to FTTF) so went straight to the trees. Funny thing is we rarely sat in the chairs. We stayed in the water or on the floats we rented. We just kept putting on more sunscreen! I will say it was one of the most beautiful islands we had ever visited! Glad we didn't take a tent or rent a clamshell. Would have been a waste of money.

We just returned yesterday from our cruise and I wanted to give an up date on HMC. We didn't take a tent nor rent a cabana. We opted for a couple chairs under the trees and 2 at the water. We were on the first trip out (thanks to FTTF) so went straight to the trees. Funny thing is we rarely sat in the chairs. We stayed in the water or on the floats we rented. We just kept putting on more sunscreen! I will say it was one of the most beautiful islands we had ever visited! Glad we didn't take a tent or rent a clamshell. Would have been a waste of money.

We agree with you. It is an absolutely gorgeous island and beach. We spend all of our time on the island in the water (or going to the BBQ)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums