Douro

SCHappilyRetired

Hi everyone! I have been trying to do some research on cruising AMA Portugal Douro but finding older threads with possibly outdated info? Has anyone done this river recently that would be willing to share? I do know busing is involved more than our other river cruises but that suits us. We will be staying in Lisbon prior to cruise and Porto post cruise as well. Many thanks!

We did this cruise last year and my detailed review is posted.

Scenery was the most beautiful of any river cruise we have taken. Staff and crew on AmaVida were very good and CM was excellent!

Ours was a wine cruise hosted by a wonderful, family winery and we enjoyed them, their club members and their wines very much!

Our cabin was large and very well laid out.

Lots of bus rides and some I had to close my eyes all the way up and down. :o

We did Vantage's tour that included Lisbon and the 7 day Douro River Cruise. It was great.

Here is my review

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=535267

Also, staying in Porto, I strongly recommend the InPatio Guesthouse. It was wonderful.

Great review, thank you! We booked with AMA today. Unfortunately, our first choice the beginning of Sept 2018 was already sold out😡 so we settled for 9/29. It maybe alittle late for harvest but we did not want to go earlier. We will be in Lisbon 3 nights with AMA and 1 add'l by ourselves as I want to go to Fatima for a day. Yes, we are staying 2 nights in Porto before traveling back home. The main reason, Santiago! Have you seen the movie The Way with Martin Sheen? Very good.

Is the B and B close to the Porto airport? Taxi readily available? What type of breakfasts? All pastry kinda things?

Any further info you might want to share would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

We did Vantage's tour that included Lisbon and the 7 day Douro River Cruise. It was great.

Here is my review

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=535267

Also, staying in Porto, I strongly recommend the InPatio Guesthouse. It was wonderful.

Great review, thank you. We are doing a similar 7 day cruise with Viking in early November. For this trip, we didn't do much research with other companies as we knew Viking did the Douro. We are trying Vantage for the first time in January. I have only good reviews about them, so I'm sure it will be a great trip as well.

Great review, thank you! We booked with AMA today. Unfortunately, our first choice the beginning of Sept 2018 was already sold out😡 so we settled for 9/29. It maybe alittle late for harvest but we did not want to go earlier. We will be in Lisbon 3 nights with AMA and 1 add'l by ourselves as I want to go to Fatima for a day. Yes, we are staying 2 nights in Porto before traveling back home. The main reason, Santiago! Have you seen the movie The Way with Martin Sheen? Very good.

Is the B and B close to the Porto airport? Taxi readily available? What type of breakfasts? All pastry kinda things?

Any further info you might want to share would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

The InPatio Guesthouse is located in a great location in downtown Porto, about two blocks from the river front, with lots of restaurants and bars in the area. They will call a taxi for you. The breakfasts are fantastic and like nothing we have had at any B & B. We had eggs to order, ham, fruit, yogurt and great bread and pastries. The B & B only has five rooms, so book early.

We will be on the Douro River for the Port Wine and Flamenco with AmaWaterways, boarding the ship in Porto on July 25.

My travel agent notified me today that we got a free upgrade. Yay! THANK YOU, AmaWaterways! :halo: