Please Be Aware of Rules When Booking Your Cruise

kitty9

My friend, who's a travel agent, got a frantic call from a client who told her that her daughter, age 20 and her friend, age 19, booked a cruise directly with the cruise line without knowing that the age to cruise on most ships without a guardian is 21. The girls were stranded in San Juan because the cruise line wouldn't allow them to board. If you're going to book direct and not use a travel agent, make sure you know all the rules before you book. These girls lost their cruise fare and had to stay at a hotel in San Juan.

Darcie

One would think the cruise line would have caught that...too bad! Hopefully they had fun in San Juan!

Celebrity Century 5/8/04 -Western Caribbean

Carnival Ecstasy 2/04 - Baja

Tahitian Princess 2/03- French Polynesia

Sea Princess 7/02 - Alaska

Carnival Ecstasy 5/02 - Baja

Royal Caribbean Monarch 10/00 - Southern Caribbean

Carnival Elation 10/99 - Mexican Riviera

Royal Caribbean Monarch 1/97 - Southern Caribbean

<a href="mailto:PrincessOfQAL1@aol.com"> Click here to email me

<a href="http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/princessofqal1">Celebrity Century pics

i agree that you should check the fine print. Met a Florida couple who encountered a problem when they checked in at their cruise. they booked their cruise on expedia and got a great rate. only problem was it wasn't applicable to florida residents. how it slipped by expedia and also the cruiseline is beyond me. but anyway, at check-in they were told they had to pay an additional amount or they wouldn't be able to board! seems there were about 10 other passengers with the same problem. last i heard celebrity and the passengers figured out something to the satisfaction of everyone. but still, how awful to find out as you're standing there with luggage and kids in tow that you could not board unless you paid another $1k!!! so please be careful before you make any large purchase, especially one which involves traveling!

Celebrity Century...5/22/04

There was an elderly couple from our church who never cruised and booked straight from the cruise line. They didn't know they needed either a passport or birth certificate and when they arrived in Florida they were denied boarding because they didn't have proper ID. There are many reasons why travel agents are important and this is just one of them.

Tracie

Don't you just wish all these people read the CC boards????!!!!

Then they would have asked the questions, been given the answers & had the cruises of their lifetimes!!!

That's why we're all here, INFO!!!!! icon_wink.gif

Rosie

E-mail me <a href="mailto:JNLROSE@AOL.COM">here</a href>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;26;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Look out MERCURY Here we come!!!

September 19, 2005--"Millie in the Med"--We're there!

I really appreciate this board and all the great people. It was because of this board that my first cruise was great. I had only 2 weeks to get prepared and learned all I needed from CC. Thanks folks. Will be sailing again in 6 days.

kitty 9...I really think when they booked the cruise, the customer service folks at Celebrity should have caught this. I KNOW they ask for your age when you book a cruise! I think the cruise line is at least half responsible in this. They should try and get some compensation. icon_frown.gif

We almost missed a 17 night S. America cruise. My Mother had never had a passport. As soon as she booked she went down and applied for a passport. They said NO problem it will be here in plenty of time. My mother was born in Poland in 1930. She came to the USA in 1938. Her mother was a US citizen, and it didn't take long for my mother to be naturalized. Apparently the small town where she was born, is now in Slovenia, not Poland. The borders changed during WWII. That was the BIG hold up with her passport. They couldn't decide what country to put as her place of birth. She finally got her passport ONE day before we were supposed to leave! Talk about STRESS! icon_eek.gif I thought my poor mother was going to have a stroke. Her passport ended up saying she was born in Slovenia! But we made it to the ship!

[This message was edited by LovetheSea on 06-07-04 at 09:23 AM.]

Also, if you are pregnant and showing, make sure you have a note from your doctor as to how far along you are. There are rules, different rules for different lines, as to how pregnant you can be and be allowed to board.

-Michael (a.k.a.

Impulsive Puppy)

Grand Princess 98;Amsterdam 02; Mercury 02; Baby 04

"East takes you out, out takes you west, west takes you in, and in takes you east."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ImpulsivePuppy:

Also, if you are pregnant and showing, make sure you have a note from your doctor as to how far along you are. There are rules, different rules for different lines, as to how pregnant you can be and be allowed to board.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

On Celebrity you should be befor the third trimester if I remember correctly.

Archived