Sneaking alcohol on Carnival Dream??

2 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Booner, I'm not singling you out (other than quoting you 😉 ), but you mention something that I see a lot and don't quite understand: the "unfair" complaint that all parties over 21 in a cabin must purchase Cheers if anyone purchases it.  I get wanting to get value for money spent (why Cheers doesn't work for many) and even the appeal of paying one price upfront so you don't have to think about drink costs or a bill at the end (even though several have stated they know they don't break even).  Where I get lost is why people think they HAVE to buy a package.  Drinks are sold a la carte, sometimes with a discount.  Carnival offers Cruise Cash, Cruise Bar Cash, and gift cards for those who want their purchases pre-paid but not at the cost of Cheers.  

If the cost of Cheers for your cabin will be close to or more than the amount your cabin will spend on drinks, get the package for everyone and the heavy drinker will balance out the light drinker.  If the cost is higher than the total cabin bill will be then pay a la carte.🙄

Obviously this reasoning doesn't apply  if the reason for smuggling is just wanting to "get away with" breaking the rules, or because you don't want to go the length of the cruise without your beverage of choice that the cruise line doesn't carry (like a high end Scotch).

Yep, the drink package is an offer and it's an offer that doesn't work for everyone. The last time out on Carnival we bought a bottle for the room from Funshops and when we wanted a drink we bought a drink. At the end of the week we totaled it all up and still spent $150 less than what Cheers would have cost us. The only thing we missed out on were the specialty coffees, milkshakes,  fresh juice and bottled water (when I wanted a soda I bought one so I don't include that in the list). If we added a couple of specialty coffees and fresh juices each per day then we'd make the break even point.

On 6/10/2017 at 10:09 PM, dreamingofparadise420 said:

I've done extensive reading through the webs and can't decide if it is worth it. I imagine they will be speeding through luggage check and throwing our bags through X-rays. What exactly can be seen? Can I just use the beverage pouches lined against the edge of my suitcase?

I usually bring a few small bottles.  They are in a separate area of our liquor store.  I am a lightweight drinker so five or less is all I need.  They are in my makeup bag and can be brought on the plane because they are less than 3 oz.  Rum and kahlua are my choices.  You can usually legally bring on a bottle of wine per person (check your cruiseline requirements).  

• 1 month later...

"the cruise line is entitled to the profit from all of the booze that you consume onboard and you agreed to abide by the rules when you signed the contract"

Nope. The cruise line eliminated free room service more than a year after we paid for our cruise and before we sailed so turnabout is fair play.

10 hours ago, MontezumasRevenge said:

"the cruise line is entitled to the profit from all of the booze that you consume onboard and you agreed to abide by the rules when you signed the contract"

Nope. The cruise line eliminated free room service more than a year after we paid for our cruise and before we sailed so turnabout is fair play.

Free room service is an onboard amenity subject to change without notice. And it doesn't change anything else in the contract.

Wait until the first port by a cheap bottle or a take home bottle and then the bottles of what you want to drink onboard. Put it all in your backpack coming back aboard ship. I have an LL Bean backback with two large compartments.  The screening personnel will ask if you have alcohol in your pack, say yes. The table where you check the alcohol is always 50 feet or more from screening.  Walk over check the cheap bottle or a really good one you want to bring home, and walk to your cabin with all the rest.  Wrap the smuggled bottles in towels so they don’t clink and give you up. There is no communication between screening and liquor check station.  This applies to Carnival, NCL, RCL, and Celebrity. Always been successful,  I’ve been tempted to just walk by check in table communication is so lax. You’re Welcome!!

• 1 month later...