VIP Tulum and Maya Lunch Excursion

MrsHC

Hello,

I am new to the forums, having a really hard time deciding on a Cozumel excursion, and hoping for some insight from the experts here :). We are cruising in July and I really want to do a ruins excursion in Mexico. Chichen Itza seems too long of a drive. I really want to go someday with more time. We've been to Macchu Picchu and it was breath taking and I would have hated to do it in a rush, but there is the 'VIP Exclusive Tulum & Cenote Swim with Mayan Lunch' that is less travel time to get to the ruins. I know Tulum is smaller but I feel it will satisfy me considering this is meant to be a more relaxed trip for us than what we are used to (and I can tell it is beautiful!). We are originally from the Caribbean so we are used to pretty beaches and island life and I would prefer to go to the mainland if I can make it work.

Ok, here is the issue: our cruise docks at noon. Based on my experience growing up in the Caribbean the sunset is around 7-7:30 at the latest in July. Is this enough time with debarking, the ferry ride, and the van ride to the ruins? The lunch may probably be more like dinner I guess -unless they plan to do the lunch first?- but I don't think it will be worth it if it's going to be dark for part of the time in the excursion. Carnival lists the trip as 12-8 PM, should I trust the times? If so, we should be heading back by 6:30ish I suppose, will the three things be too much to do in this time frame (ruins, cenote swim, lunch)? The ship leaves at 10 PM.

I did search for this excursion here but the other thread is mostly about the trip itself. My main concern is the time. Please help me if you can, I'd appreciate it so much. Yay or nay?

We did this excursion in January. I loved every moment of it and don't regret doing it at all. Our ship was docked from 10 am to 8 pm. We were actually a little late returning on the ferry and the ship had to wait for us. So we were gone on the excursion the entire 10 hours we were in port. We weren't able to shop or see anything in Cozumel. But it was worth it for us to have that experience. You don't spend a whole lot of time at any one place but I felt like we had adequate time as well. Canoeing through the jungle to the Mayan village and then being able to eat right there inside the village was the most surreal experience for me. If you are interested in doing this, I would say go for it! Just know that it will take all of your time in port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If this is the Carnival sponsored excursion, you will be following their schedule, using their transportation and possibly their own ferries. These will typically go out of Puerta Maya or a dock between the International Pier and PM. No worries about missing the ship. But you are packing a lot into the day considering the travel times involved, there could be limited time at Tulum. You won't be able to climb around the ruins. And these are totally different from Macchu Picchu. Don't even start to compare. Likewise if you ever do Chichen Itza or Coba or any Yucatan/ Quintana roo/ or Belize Maya ruins.

But do go. And as "lunch" on these excursions tends to be mediocre, have a bigger breakfast, bring some packaged snacks, crackers, protein bars, and a bottle of water.

Yes I think you would be happy you did this, and although Tulum isn't as "majestic" as some other sites, it is still a magnificent site and worth the trip. A 1 - 1.5 hour walk through the site is sufficient when on a multi-stop excursion, and you may have longer than that. The palo volador, or pole flying, is neat if you haven't seen that before. We've not taken this excursion, but the jungle cenote and Mayan village promises to be a neat experience as kcraig mentioned.

Enjoy your day!

Thank you all so much for the replies! Yes, the excursion is the Carnival-sponsored one :). I was a bit hesitant but your answers and encouragement gave me the push I needed. I think we'll love it. I just booked it, can't wait!

Thank you all so much for the replies! Yes, the excursion is the Carnival-sponsored one :). I was a bit hesitant but your answers and encouragement gave me the push I needed. I think we'll love it. I just booked it, can't wait!

You will love Tulum. We did it on a Princess tour. It is definitely a smaller ruin but it is still incredibly interesting and the setting overlooking the ocean is magnificent.