Mike Pack named cruise director for the Horizon

jimbo5544

We were on the Vista with Matt in January when the Horizon itinerary was publically announced. Matt told us that he did not want the Horizon since it would not be doing a full season in Europe. He also recognized the importance of other CD's having this experience.

We were also on the Legend with JH and Sara Beth for BC10 Cool a couple of weeks ago. It appears that Carnival's current thinking is that they are going to spread around the CD position for new ships. We also learned that the new LNG fueled 5200 passenger XL class ships first coming out in 2020 will have 2 CD's.

Having two CDs make no sense to me. Neither does the cd/Ed positions. The new ships will be smaller then the oasis class and they only have one cd. And the cd is still head of the entertainment department. Oh well that's my rant for the day lol.

I love carnival and can't wait until those ships come out. Hope jamie is in the running for the next ship tom come out in 2019. Congrats to Mike too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Having two CDs make no sense to me. Neither does the cd/Ed positions. The new ships will be smaller then the oasis class and they only have one cd. And the cd is still head of the entertainment department.

That was my first thought as well. The RCL Oasis class ships are larger, and have only one CD. After thinking about this more, the CD's job on RCL is quite different from that of CCL. The RCL CD is usually only seen when he/she announces a show. The job of the CCL CD has changed to allow the CD to spend much more time out and about interacting with guests. On CCL, the ED runs the entertainment department on the ship and takes care of all of the "back of house" work in order to allow the CD to spend more time with guests. If you consider that the XL class ship will have twice as many guests as the "average" CCL ship, then to have the same amount of guest interaction either one CD can never sleep, or two CD's are needed.

Last year I strayed from CCL and took a cruise on the RCL Allure. The ship was fantastic, but you didn't get the guest/crew interaction that you get on CCL. After the marriage show, which was attended by probably 2000 guests, the CD was standing at the theatre exit doors, but nobody was stopping to talk to him. We stopped to talk to him about the show, and probably talked for 3 minutes, during which time nobody else even waited behind us to talk with him next. I think he really appreciated our interaction, and I got the impression that he was not used to guests talking with him. On a CCL ship, there is almost always a line of people waiting to talk with the CD.

I think that CCL understands that many of us frequent cruisers keep coming back because we enjoy interacting with the crew and staff. I think they looked at the numbers and realized that two CD's would be needed to maintain this level of interaction.

Having two CDs make no sense to me. Neither does the cd/Ed positions. The new ships will be smaller then the oasis class and they only have one cd. And the cd is still head of the entertainment department. Oh well that's my rant for the day lol.

I love carnival and can't wait until those ships come out. Hope jamie is in the running for the next ship tom come out in 2019. Congrats to Mike too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Little birdie told me today she turned it down for now, awaiting Vista 3.