Tropical Storm-Depression-Hurricane

CCC3

Hey CCC3! We got lucky, didn't we? Except for a slight bit of choppy seas Monday night, and some pouring rain for an hour or two on Cozumel, the threatened storm didn't bother us and the cruise was pretty spectacular! The captain did a GREAT job of decision making (no cancelled ports) and navigating (we had GREAT weather all 4 "sea days").

I had a wonderful time on this cruise, enjoyed all the ports and the great on-deck weather, and was blown away by the shows (the Ice Show, the Cirque du Soleil duplicate, and the Saturday Night Fever show were spectacular!) and the activity on the Promenade.

Yes, RC relentlessly tries to charge for and upsell everything, but I ignored that and the cruise was amazing.

Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did! :D:D:D

We also had a good time, and I was glad the storm was far ahead of us. It felt like a rough Sunday-Monday, but it was smooth sailing the rest of the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Category and TD, TS designation only focus on sustained wind speed. They speak nothing to the physical size of the storm or the damage they can do. Each storm is different.

Very true. I've seen TS's that did more damage than a Cat 1 or 2 because the damaging rain and winds lasted longer or extended our farther from the eye or whatever. Also, being just a few more miles from where the eye passes can make a huge difference. Time and again I've heard people laugh about how "that storm was nothing" but a few miles away there is massive flooding, huge trees on roofs, damage from tornadoes spawned from the storm etc.

But the winds of a TD or a small TS are laughable.

That post is laughable. Have you seriously never seen flooding, washed out roads, serious building damage etc. from a TS?

That post is laughable. Have you seriously never seen flooding, washed out roads, serious building damage etc. from a TS?

Yes. But you are talking two different things.

Water and wind. Flooding, washed out roads, etc are a product of the water. I said winds, while pointing out the water can be destructive.

Yes. But you are talking two different things.

Water and wind. Flooding, washed out roads, etc are a product of the water. I said winds, while pointing out the water can be destructive.

Yes, wind and water are two different things. But if you think wind from a TS is "laughable" and can't do serious damage, or can't exacerbate the damage from water/flooding, then you are deluding yourself. Sure, some TS's do little damage, but I've seen plenty of serious wind damage from them (roofs blown off, trees uprooted and fallen on to houses, etc.).

Yes, wind and water are two different things. But if you think wind from a TS is "laughable" and can't do serious damage, or can't exacerbate the damage from water/flooding, then you are deluding yourself. Sure, some TS's do little damage, but I've seen plenty of serious wind damage from them (roofs blown off, trees uprooted and fallen on to houses, etc.).

Again, my comment was specifically on TD and light TS. If your roof blows off in less than 50mph winds, you need to upgrade from that house of straw.

A reasonable person should take reasonable steps in any sort of weather that are appropriate for that weather condition. However, someone going into a panic over a TD or small TS because they are confusing that with a hurricane or near-hurricane condition is a bit much.

Due to its immense size, Ike caused devastation from the Louisiana coastline all the way to the Kenedy County region near Corpus Christi, Texas. In addition, Ike caused flooding and significant damage along the Mississippi coastline and the Florida Panhandle.

This is not AT ALL meant to belittle the damage Ike created but to reaffirm the sheer size of its path...

My most vivid memory of Ike was competing at a horse show in Lexington, KY. The outer bands were so large that we had tropical storm-force winds arriving ahead of the storm all the way up there. Let me tell you, you haven't felt adrenaline until you've been riding a horse while the power goes out at the exact moment that wind gusts fling folding tables off a mezzanine and into the stands, ten feet away from said horse...[emoji15] For once in his life, my guy was a real trooper at that moment and just kept marching around. Most other riders were not that lucky!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here is a link to the National Hurricane Center Official Glossary that describes what they mean when they use certain terminology - like Tropical Depression, Tropical Storm, Hurricane, etc...

The video about the RCL meteorologist was interesting. Amazing this has not already been a position at all the lines. Interesting to note in the background they're using my favorite weather web site Wind.com which is a very powerful tool and shows both the European ECMWF model as well as the US GFS model. Always good to compare them since they often disagree. Wind.com also has good wave info for cruisers. For our recent Alaska cruise it was dead on about large swells off the coast of Vancouver Is.