Pardise or Sensation

Hi all! My first time posting and we will be first time cruisers in 2018!! I've been reading a lot on these boards and have gained a lot of valuable information. Thank you!! So, I need some input.

We are looking to go on a 5-day Caribbean cruise in either January 2018 or early February 2018. We live in NC and will be driving. Tampa is about 9.5 hours and we've made that drive a bunch (we go to Yankees spring training every March) and Miami is about 11.5 hours. Originally I was all on board (pun intended!!) with cruising Carnival Paradise out of Tampa and hitting up Grand Cayman and Cozumel. But, I know the ship is older and will be receiving it's upgrade in February 2018. Also, I have it in my mind that I want to go to Grand Cayman! I don't know why - but it just sounds so tropical and wonderful!!

Then, I saw were the Carnival Sensation has already received it's upgrade and we could do a January trip out of Miami hitting Amber Cove and Grand Turk or a February 3rd trip out of Miami with ports in Nassau, Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay.

We don't really mind driving the extra 2 hours to Miami if the ship and ports are worth it. My questions/requests from y'all are:

1) Which ship would you pick between Paradise and Sensation and why?

2) Have you been to any of these ports and do any of then stand out more than the others?

3) Which itinerary would you choose and why?

3) Which port has the best excursions for (2) 40 year olds and a 12 year old boy?

I don't necessarily mind the older ship, and I want a small cruise ship, but I also do want something nice for our first cruise! Thank you so much!!

Sensation has balconies, Paradise has them only on suites. Grand Cayman and Cozumel I think are better for a tween, but Half Moon Cay is the best beach and Grand Turk has the pool at Margaritaville and a flowrider. For a shorter drive, you might consider a five day on Elation out of Jacksonville, same class ship as Paradise and Sensation, but she is gong into drydock later this year and will have balconies added. And there is an occasional 5 day cruise on Sunshine out of Port Canaveral. EM

We were on the Paradise a few weeks ago and were on the Sensation last year (before upgrades). Both of the ship design is very similar as mentioned above since the upgrade the Sensation will have some things the Paradise won't (balconies, etc). Even though the Paradise is due for an upgrade we still had a great time. Our itinerary wasn't the same on the Sensation (Bahamas) so I don't know about those ports. On the Paradise we were scheduled for Cozumel and Grand Caymans but it got changed to Costa Maya due to mechanical problems the boat was having and won't be resolved until it dry docks. I did prefer Costa Maya and Cozumel over the Bahamas. We did a beach trip in Cozumel and a Mayan Ruins tour in Costa Maya. I would probably choose the Sensation bc it will have all of the new amenities. On the Paradise they were doing something every day regarding painting, carpeting rooms, staining wood work. There was an elevator out of service the entire time. Those are all small things and didn't influence our trip. However, if given the choice I would take the most updated version. We had our 11yo (boy) with us and this trip was life changing for him. He said it was the best vacation in his life..lol..He hasn't stopped talking about planning our next cruise since we got back from our last. I would also suggest finding the different threats about each Port on cruise critic and that will help you with what activities and excursions are available at each Port. We didn't book our excursion through Carnival b/c the price was ridiculous. I did lots of research and found a reputable company (Native Choice) for our Mayan Ruins tour. We couldn't have had a better tour. So excited for you all....have a GREAT time!

I just actually made that same decision... we were thinking of Paradise or Sensation. I picked Sensation.. not so much because of the ship, but rather the destinations. Grand Turk is my favorite place, and Half Moon Cay is a close second.

We've been many times to both Cozumel and Grand Cayman. While Cayman has some very interesting things (excellent snorkeling and the Sting Ray feeding), Cayman is also a fairly expensive island.

For both places, I don't think they come close to the beaches at Turks.

(Edit :- I will add one thing... your 12 year old would LOVE the snorkeling and feeding the Sting Rays at Grand Cayman. My teens couldn't stop talking about it. It is one of those "must do" things)

I would like to recommend Sensation sailing out of Miami on Jan 15th with ports at Grand Cayman and Jamaica. In Ochos Rios, the kids would like walking up the Dunn's River Water Fall. I also sailed on Paradise out of Tampa last January and even though the ship is older, we still enjoyed it very much. We are going on the Sensation (1/15/18) next! Maybe we will see you there...

Research the ports. Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk, and Amber Cove, while in foreign countries, are just cruise line ports built specifically for keeping you at the port to spend your money. They are nice beachy places, and some people, including myself, are ok with that now and then. However, Cayman and Cozumel will have many more options for interesting excursions. Pet some turtles, swim with stingrays, see some Mayan ruins, etc...

Other advice is go with a balcony if it is within budget. You won't regret it. Oh, and bump that cruise up to a 7-day one!

Research the ports. Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk, and Amber Cove, while in foreign countries, are just cruise line ports built specifically for keeping you at the port to spend your money. They are nice beachy places, and some people, including myself, are ok with that now and then. However, Cayman and Cozumel will have many more options for interesting excursions. Pet some turtles, swim with stingrays, see some Mayan ruins, etc...

Other advice is go with a balcony if it is within budget. You won't regret it. Oh, and bump that cruise up to a 7-day one!

I am seriously thinking about doing a 7-day cruise!! I want to do excursions and we love being active, but I am really looking forward to some rest & relaxation!! I think I need more than 2 sea days to do that for sure! I know we all want to do some sort of snorkeling & turtle/sting ray/dolphin excursion type thing, but would like the other port day to just be a beach break with some shopping and eating. My husband & I went to the Moon Palace for our honeymoon and did the whole day-long ruins trip. I don't really feel the need to do that again and our son hasn't really expressed any interest in the ruins - even though he just studied them in school.

Lots of research still to do!

I would like to recommend Sensation sailing out of Miami on Jan 15th with ports at Grand Cayman and Jamaica. In Ochos Rios, the kids would like walking up the Dunn's River Water Fall. I also sailed on Paradise out of Tampa last January and even though the ship is older, we still enjoyed it very much. We are going on the Sensation (1/15/18) next! Maybe we will see you there...

I looked at this one. Was a little concerned about Ochos Rios though and safety. I've heard that Jamaica can be a little sketchy? But, I guess if you are in a group it should be fine, right?

We were on the Paradise a few weeks ago and were on the Sensation last year (before upgrades). Both of the ship design is very similar as mentioned above since the upgrade the Sensation will have some things the Paradise won't (balconies, etc). Even though the Paradise is due for an upgrade we still had a great time. Our itinerary wasn't the same on the Sensation (Bahamas) so I don't know about those ports. On the Paradise we were scheduled for Cozumel and Grand Caymans but it got changed to Costa Maya due to mechanical problems the boat was having and won't be resolved until it dry docks. I did prefer Costa Maya and Cozumel over the Bahamas. We did a beach trip in Cozumel and a Mayan Ruins tour in Costa Maya. I would probably choose the Sensation bc it will have all of the new amenities. On the Paradise they were doing something every day regarding painting, carpeting rooms, staining wood work. There was an elevator out of service the entire time. Those are all small things and didn't influence our trip. However, if given the choice I would take the most updated version. We had our 11yo (boy) with us and this trip was life changing for him. He said it was the best vacation in his life..lol..He hasn't stopped talking about planning our next cruise since we got back from our last. I would also suggest finding the different threats about each Port on cruise critic and that will help you with what activities and excursions are available at each Port. We didn't book our excursion through Carnival b/c the price was ridiculous. I did lots of research and found a reputable company (Native Choice) for our Mayan Ruins tour. We couldn't have had a better tour. So excited for you all....have a GREAT time!

Thanks for the input! It will be a surprise for our son but, he has been asking to go on a cruise forever, so I hope he likes it! I've been looking at the pros & cons of the ship's excursions verses private companies. There is a big difference!