gtaylor - st maarten itinerary opinion please!

Gary,

I posted this question to you on the Ask A Cruise Question Board. Someone suggested I post it to you here. Hoping you see this one!

Gary,

I hear you are one of the experts on St Maarten! We will be there on the 29th, have rented a Jeep to do a little excursion of our own, and I'd like your opinion of whether or not we can make this work! Tell me I'm crazy if you must, I can take it! Never been there before so I'm just trying to see the island but certainly don't want to make a plan that is completely un-doable!

PS....No Orient Beach for us - we have two teenage girls, so we want to avoid any topless sunbathers if possible. We also really don't have to have a real beach break on this island. We have plenty of beach time elsewhere. So that's why we only are planning for a quick dip at Dawn Beach and maybe we will have time to walk a little on the beach in Grand Case....MAYBE.

Thank you in advance!

We port at 8:00 am and all aboard time is 5:00 pm - so here goes!

Pick up rental at 9:00 am

Guana Bay - just a quick stop for the view, photos

Oyster Pond - photos, marina, pelicans

Dawn Beach - maybe a short walk on the beach and a quick dip in the ocean!

Cul-de-Sac - just the drive up for the views - and then back down -
MAYBE!

Grand Case -
shopping only - no time for lunch here - MAYBE a little walk on the beach!

Marigot - Sarafina's! and the market if it's open on Thursday

Fort St Louis

From here we can go straight to Maho Beach for the 12:30 - 2:00 time slot of big plane landings and eat lunch at Sunset.

Leave Maho by 2:00
to make a quick stop at the Harley shop in Cole Bay

Then be back to turn in the rental no later than 4:00!

That gives us ONE HOUR to get back to the ship. THOUGHTS?????

Then I got this response from *navybankerteacher* and thought it sounded like a good alternative plan! Any thoughts on this itinerary instead???

Originally posted by navybankerteacher

I might suggest altering - perhaps a bit of shopping first at Philipsburg, then Harley shop in Cole Bay, then hit Maho - including lunch - until about 1:30 or so before going up to Marigot and Sarafinas, continuing around north end of island and down the east side - possibly stopping at Dawn Beach - possibly 2:30 or so to 3:30 then back to turn In rental by 4:00.

The point being that coming down the east side of the island in the afternoon is a lot easier than coming back from Maho and Cole Bay and getting through the traffic to, and through Philipsburg .

A half hour from Dawn Beach is plenty of time, while you would want to leave at least 90 minutes to get back from Maho - or an hour or so from Cole Bay - with the afternoon traffic on that part of the island.

I have to agree with both my friend karysa and NBT here.

Just some quick thoughts for you before you leave.

Good news, only two ships.

We have seen topless at both Grand Case Beach and Maho, especially at Sunset. I would not let that prevent me from seeing Orient Beach.

I would not consider the trek over to Guana for the view -- time consuming.

Dawn Beach is located adjacent to Oyster Pond, so same place except for the Marina.

Cul de Sac, you have to mean the road over to Anse Marcel. Some nice views, but another time consumer.

th_DSCN2946.jpg th_DSCN2960-1.jpg

No idea of what shopping you would be planning at Grand Case.

I love Fort Louis for the views, but that also takes up a chunk of time.

th_DSCN5553.jpg

The Marigot Marketplace will be open, but a mere shadow of itself on Wednesday and Saturday. Also, much of Marigot shuts down for a couple hours after mid-day.

You probably still have a day or so for follow up questions.

gary

p.s. Wonder where karysa is off to?

I'm in Victoria, BC 😊

Smart person to suggest that you ask Gary! I still do to!

I always save Philipsburg for last and as a rule I advise others to do the same. If I am going to miss one thing I always pick Philipsburg over the ship. My guess is that almost everyone would.😀

In other words. ...

With the traffic issues in St Maarten I would want the option of visiting Philipsburg at the end of the day or skipping it if it meant missing the ship so that's the advise that I would give others!

Gary and Karysa,

Thank you both for your responses! And thank you Gary for the photos and info about the stops I was contemplating. Like I said, this is a new port for us so I've just been trying to figure out what's worth doing/seeing and what's not. Your comments helped a lot!

But darn it! I was seriously considering following NBT's plan until you said Marigot basically shuts down in the afternoon. Marigot is #1 on my list! Getting there around 2:00 sounds like not a great idea!

So how does this plan sound? As much as I hate to backtrack on road trips, I think it might be better:

You know

First stop Cole Bay - Harley Shop - this is mandatory at every port LOL - we own a Harley 😎

Then over to Marigot before they roll up the town for the afternoon!

Possibly time for Fort St Louis before heading back to Maho by noonish for lunch and plane watching

(I know we have to be careful of traffic for the bridge closings!)

Then back to the Fench side to the Marina and then Phillipsburg before turning the rent car in by 400!

Thoughts now???

On the road from Texas to Florida now! Praying Hurricane Cindy doesn't blow us away before we get there!! 🌊😱

OK, since you insist on Maho just before back to the ship:

Get an early start! Your ship is scheduled 8:00 - 5:00, but I suspect you will arrive earlier. You're coming from St. Kitts, and even with an 8:00 PM departure, it's only about 50 miles. When the weather is right we can even see St. Kitts and Nevis from St. Maarten.

HD opens at 8:00. Morning traffic should have you there in about 30 minutes or less. You could take the 'Cakehouse' shortcut, which Google indicates as a walking path, but it's a real road, steep with tight curves and awesome views. Might or might not save any time, but heck, you have a jeep for a reason, right?

Continue up the same Union Road into Marigot. You'll enter Marigot by the Marina. Take a look then.

Quickest way to visit Fort Louis is to drive up the hill towards the top. There's parking there, but still a bit of a climb from parking. Alternatively, you COULD park in Marigot near the waterfront and Ferry office, and then climb all the way up. :(

th_DSCN4256.jpg th_DSCN6248.jpg

Even with a quick look at Fort Louis, Marigot shops will be opening when you get to Marigot proper. BTW, what are you looking for in Marigot?

After Marigot, I would take the route across Sandy Ground and down to reach Maho, but you could also exit back to Union Road and take the Lagoon Causeway across to the airport and Maho. It should be well under 45 minutes, either way.

You'e there next Thursday, so tomorrow (Thursday) check the flight schedules. Next week should be very similar.

There WILL be traffic! Even if there are only two ships, most of the traffic will probably be locals, getting off work, delivering goods, just normal business. I would be shocked if you can get back to P'Burg in less than 1 1/2 - 2 hours, but if you do, you might have a shot at some quick shopping downtown. There ARE shops at the Cruise Facility, but not like downtown.

gary

One last thing. Regarding you reason to not visit Orient, we often see topless women at Maho. Sunset Bar and Grill even has a sign offering "Topless Women Drink Free".

th_topless%201.jpg

Thanks for your patience with me! I'm really not trying to make Maho the last stop before getting back to the ship! I've just been watching the flight schedules and it appears that our two options for seeing the planes are either from 12:45 - 1:39 (sometimes as late as 1:50!) or 3:00 to 3:30 (which certainly won't work!)

Now I'm just frustrated. I don't know that this was such a good idea.

Gary and Karysa,

Thank you both for your responses! And thank you Gary for the photos and info about the stops I was contemplating. Like I said, this is a new port for us so I've just been trying to figure out what's worth doing/seeing and what's not. Your comments helped a lot!

But darn it! I was seriously considering following NBT's plan until you said Marigot basically shuts down in the afternoon. Marigot is #1 on my list! Getting there around 2:00 sounds like not a great idea!

So how does this plan sound? As much as I hate to backtrack on road trips, I think it might be better:

You know

First stop Cole Bay - Harley Shop - this is mandatory at every port LOL - we own a Harley 😎

Then over to Marigot before they roll up the town for the afternoon!

Possibly time for Fort St Louis before heading back to Maho by noonish for lunch and plane watching

(I know we have to be careful of traffic for the bridge closings!)

Then back to the Fench side to the Marina and then Phillipsburg before turning the rent car in by 400!

Thoughts now???

On the road from Texas to Florida now! Praying Hurricane Cindy doesn't blow us away before we get there!! 🌊😱

What Marina on the French side are you planning on visiting after you leave Maho? That part has got me perplexed.

I'm thinking that you could skip that part. I can't think of one marina that would be worth the hassle of visiting after Maho.

Safe travels.

Oyster Pond was the marina we were planning on going to originally because we were planning that with the Dawn Beach stop. We can eliminate that but then we really have no stops on the French side at all other than Maho and whatever small amount of time we get to spend in Phillipsburg.

I guess where I'm getting confused is the time we need after Maho. Are y'all telling me that if we are there for the planes and lunch from about 12:30 - 1:30 then we need to hightail it straight back to the port to be safely back on the ship by 4:00?!?!! Cause WOW!!!!

That's 2 1/2 hours!!!

We are mobile now - driving thru pretty bad storms - but I'll see if I can find another rental company that opens earlier. Coastal was the one most recommended so that's who we went with. They open at 9. Ugh.

I would not back track to see the marina at Oyster Pond. I think walking Front St in Philipsburg is a better option. Gary your thoughts?

I to would try and rent from a place that opens at 8. It's hard to understand why Coastal would open at the PORT at 9 when ships are in at 8. If you rent from a place that opens at 9 you will need to leave the ship at the same time as a place that opens at 8 because if there are 3 people in front of you at a place that opens at 9 you will loose at least a half hour and you don't have time for that.

We have used Hertz at the pier twice and would recommend them. Once we dropped the car of early and they drove us back to Front St and we shipped in town and walked back to the ship and this worked out great as parking in Philipsburg can be a hassle.

I'll double check what time they open! If it's for sure 9, we'll switch to Hertz then. Thank you Karysa!

And ok, no Marina, final stop Phillipsburg. I really don't want this to be stressful! We really love road trips as much as we love cruising (hence the Harley!) so we just wanted to see the island!

Thank you both so much for all your help and mostly for your patience!

These are the arrivals today (Thursday) for all of the schedued 'larger' aircraft - no puddle jumpers, between noon and 3:00.

B6 787 JetBlue Airways (JFK) New York 12:44 PM Landed

DL 461 Delta Air Lines (JFK) New York 12:50 PM Landed

AA 518 American Airlines (PHL) Philadelphia 1:29 PM Landed

AA 1753 American Airlines (CLT) Charlotte 1:32 PM Landed

AF 498 Air France (CDG) Paris 1:45 PM Landed Delayed

SWG 762 Sunwing (YYZ) Toronto 1:50 PM Landed

DL 908 Delta Air Lines (ATL) Atlanta 1:51 PM Landed

Air France was their A340, and it was delayed until 4:27. :(

NBT indicated allow 90 minutes for the return to P'Burg and I suggested 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

Good Luck,

gary

karysa, I may spend a morning wandering through a marina when I'm on island for weeks, but never on a cruise visit. :)

These are the arrivals today (Thursday) for all of the schedued 'larger' aircraft - no puddle jumpers, between noon and 3:00.

NBT indicated allow 90 minutes for the return to P'Burg and I suggested 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

Good Luck,

gary

karysa, I may spend a morning wandering through a marina when I'm on island for weeks, but never on a cruise visit. :)

I get that we also are on a different pace on land vacations. 😊

Wow, how nice of you to post all of the plane landing times. That is definitely above and beyond.:)

Good Luck,

gary

From this helpful snapshot, it looks like the real "action" is over just before 2:00 - so, given a 5:00 PM sailaway, Maho could be the last stop.

Yes Gary, thank you! I had pulled up the schedule yesterday and screen shotted it, but I really appreciate you taking the time to make sure I got it - knowing we were on the road! That was very kind of you!

And I definitely know cruise stops don't allow for much time for exploring, so I wasn't planning on spending too much time at any of the places we make it to on our drive. Just sightseeing, photo ops, just a nice drive in a place we've never been.

We'll leave Maho and hear back to Phillipsburg and just see how it goes! It's there's no time for dawdling, then we'll scoot our boots on back to the boat! ��

Thank you all! Happy Friday!

We sail tomorrow! Today we watch the rocket launch at Cape Canaveral!

• 3 weeks later...

I have wanted to do this myself for years. Did you book or just show up. I'm thinking that this would be a great activity to keep in mind in case we have a couple of rainy days on my vacation next month.