Hotels near (not in) NYC pre-cruise

barb65

We just got off the Breakaway this past Sunday, and stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Ridgefield Park, NJ.

Great hotel with breakfast included, parking for when you're on the cruise, and free shuttle to and from the port.

When you arrive at the hotel, they will give you a form to fill out, and you can choose what time you want to be picked up.

We chose 10:15, and the driver arrived a little early, and we were at the port by about 10:35.

The nice thing was, we had our own car, and didn't have to wait for other people. Depending how many people are with you will depend on what type of vehicle they send.

On return, they gave us a card with a phone number, which we called when we got through customs. They also called me while we were still waiting to get off the ship, so they had an idea when we might disembark.

You have to cross the street and wait for your ride. There were a lot of people waiting for rides there.

Highly recommend for the price and ease of getting to and from the port.

Hope that helps!

Karen

Thanks, Karen. We're seriously thinking about booking the Hilton Garden in Ridgfield Park. How far in advance were you able to book this hotel?

The ridge field park Hilton sounds like a good deal and is convenient but definitely not 10 minutes to the port, as has been said. Any of the hotels around 80 - Hasbrouck heights Sheraton, Teaneck Marriott or the meadowlands area are a quick uber ride to the port on a weekend. Not so much on a weekday. I wouldn't make the transportation to the port the priority over room cost and free parking.
However if you have to take an Uber to the port where are you parking your car for the cruise? With the HIlton you get all three things....hotel, parking and transportation. For us, 4 adults, it is $320 total including breakfast.

Parking at the port is 40.00 per night, unless you're going out on the NCL Gem, which has a reduced rate. I would get it in writing that your return transportation from the port is included, because the link you provided was not clear at all about it. It's always buyer beware, especially when dealing with most things in the metro NYC area.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

LOL...I don't need it in writing when it was confirmed to me not only by the hotel itself, but by many Cruise Critic members who did this package. $40 per night equals $460 for 14 days. Someone said it is capped at $400...so even with that it is more than the Hilton package since we'd still have to get a room somewhere.

I looked at the package link that was included with the post that said this statement was wrong.

Read the link information carefully. The transportation is arranged and the cost of the transportation arranged affects the cost of the room.

Given the cost of using a car service and the cost of paying for the round trip through the tunnel or over the bridge (would be included for the one way trip for the transportation vehicle's return to NJ), SNJ Cruisers statement rings true.

Also a side note, there is no way that this hotel is 10 minutes away from the Manhattan cruise port (not even at 3 AM in the morning). Twelve miles in that area translates to at least a half hour or more. Hint: NYC and its environs is properly the only place where distance is given as a measure of time instead of measure of length.

Agree 100%. First, it seems that every Avenue from South to North as some kind of construction. Going East to West is a nightmare on a good day. I was in the City for the Theatre on Wednesday and walked from GCS to the Shubert Theatre. It's about a 15 minute walk, had I taken a taxi, it would have easily cost $25 if not more.

However if you have to take an Uber to the port where are you parking your car for the cruise? With the HIlton you get all three things....hotel, parking and transportation. For us, 4 adults, it is $320 total including breakfast.

Many hotels near airports have parking packages where you stay one night and can leave your car there for the duration of the trip. So if the poster found a good stay and park rate, uber is a viable option to get to the port.

Thanks, Karen. We're seriously thinking about booking the Hilton Garden in Ridgfield Park. How far in advance were you able to book this hotel?

We booked it last week for our 10-day cruise leaving the middle of October. For the two of us it is $320.85 for one night, parking, breakfast and transportation to and from the port.

I am happy to hear that at least one other person had a good experience with the hotel. For us, it seemed like the best deal we could find.

Would totally do this, but we need 2 rooms. I asked if we could pay for one room at the park and ride rate and the other at a regular rate (since we only have 1 car), but they said it was a no go. So we are stuck driving in and parking at the port in the morning. We are coming from the Philly burbs, so are not really near the buses. Amtrak is just too unreliable.

I booked the Hilton Garden Inn a few weeks ago and couldn't have been happier with the outcome. I paid $255 for 3 people for the park and cruise package. Believe the price has increased since my booking.

Smile Limo was the transportation used. Picked a time to be picked up. Friendly gentleman picked up up, drove about 25-30(?) into NYC and droppped off right at the porters.

Called at customs for pick up. Took about 15 mins to arrive, across the street from the port. By 9, we were in my SUV pulling out of the hotel's driveway for our ride home.

We booked our stay at the Hilton 4 months ago for a Jan 2018 cruise. You can book way in advance. Our price was $320 for 4 adults.

Would totally do this, but we need 2 rooms. I asked if we could pay for one room at the park and ride rate and the other at a regular rate (since we only have 1 car), but they said it was a no go. So we are stuck driving in and parking at the port in the morning. We are coming from the Philly burbs, so are not really near the buses. Amtrak is just too unreliable.

There are car services in the Philadelphia suburban area that can pick you up in a van and take you to the port. Some are shared services and some are private. I would also inquire on your cruise critic roll call or other social media roll call if by some chance there are any other people in the Philly metro area looking for transportation so you can get together and share a private van to defray the cost. A private van will hold 11 people plus bags.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app