Celebrity Reflection Western Med May 29 Review

claudart

Quick question: Were there USB ports in the staterooms on Reflection? (I don't remember any on other X ships, but this will be my first cruise on a Solstice-class ship.) Thanks.

No USB ports, only two US 110V and one EU 220V plugs.

Great Review, thanks!

We are doing this voyage on the Reflection in October. Hope our weather is as gorgeous as yours!

I hope your weather will be as gorgeous as ours, in 15 days, not a single drop of rain, few clouds here and there. In fact we must be lucky, it was our 3rd cruise and we always had perfect weather. We have another cruise booked next march (on Eclipse), I hope our luck continues.

Jun 3, a sea day. We really needed a day to just relax, and get ready for the upcoming ports. A day around the pool. We are not alone but we have no problem finding a lounge on pool deck. For a change we have hot dogs instead of hamburgers at the Mast Grill, they’re good! Add to that a few Coronas for me, Proseccos for DW and la vita è bella!

Speaking of vita bella, we had the Classic Package, we are wine drinkers, but not too fussy, they had a good Shiraz, a good Chardonnay, Prosecco, enough to make us happy for the length of the cruise.

We saw only one night show, Elysium, good show, we liked it. We are early risers in the morning, up and ready at 7, and eat early, dinner at 6:30, then we go relax in the foyer, listen to music, maybe a dance step or two, explore the ship. We like to go on our veranda at the end of the day with a glass of Shiraz and relax before bedtime. As they say, young at heart, but the body doesn’t always follow.

I know there are hundreds of photos of this ship, but let me add some of mine.

35557180985_a0bd9b2416_b.jpg

35170471400_0d74ecb292_b.jpg

Relaxing on the veranda

35557139685_41d53c11e9_b.jpg

Real high class public washrooms

35518266776_cded253679_b.jpg

35170387760_e60522bbf6_b.jpg

35389284542_81fe914c9e_b.jpg

June 4, Malaga. As soon as we got on shore in Malaga, we immediately thought, wow... we discovered paradise! It’s true that for us any place that has palm trees and has more than 2 months of nice warm weather in a year, looks like paradise, but this little charming city is IT. We did what we like best in such a place, just stroll in the streets, discover sights, flavors, smells, trying to get the feel of the city. Conclusion, we could move there anytime, and pass the rest of our lives there.

34715653474_1f239d06c3_b.jpg

34715590424_2b83c846a8_b.jpg

35426371681_492efd540b_b.jpg

35426338531_7f5b083af9_b.jpg

34715591284_97e7a83fcc_b.jpg

34715592284_1886e7da2e_b.jpg

Cheers,

Next episode, the adventures of Claude and Claudette in Gibraltar.

June 5, Gibraltar. This place is really special, a little piece of England at the southern tip of Spain. Probably the only british territory where car drive on the right of the road, because it caused too many accidents with cars coming from Spain when they drove on the left side. We had booked a Celebrity tour called Upper Rock Tour for Families. We were 20 people, 2 children. Our guide, named Valerie, was a nice lady who came from England many years ago.

We went in a small bus first to Gibraltar museum, full of artefacts relating the history of the territory. Interesting, if a little longish, but Valerie was so enthusiastic about it that it passed rather quickly. Then up to the cable car, which goes all the way to the top of the Rock, impressive, it is high! So we, all twenty and something people, packed like a bunch of sardines go up to the top. What a view! And then there are the monkeys, cute, but beware, they bite and there are heavy fines if we feed them. We were lucky, the sky was very clear and we could see Africa (The mountains of Morocco) at the other side of the sea.

What goes up must go down so we begin walking down a little road, arriving at an extraordinary site, St.Michael’s Caves. Gigantic natural caves, it even includes an auditorium for concerts. Probably unique in the world. Getting out of the Caves, we walk down again for a while, and we meet our bus, waiting for us to go back to the ship. A very good excursion we’ll remember.

Be the way, Valerie told us that it so seldom rains in Gibraltar that they don’t have enough fresh water for their consumption and everyday use, they use sea water and desalinate it. Hard to understand, this place being surrounded by the ocean, while back home, hundred of kilometers from any ocean, it rains so often! Mysteries of nature...

Our cable car coming to get us.

35516649636_c42ded51b6_b.jpg

On the rock!

35425159401_7df6e6658b_b.jpg

What a view!

34714378484_739401f923_b.jpg

Cute

35387615412_9b9ca9ff60_b.jpg

Behind me, Africa!

35425142501_317a5b7edd_b.jpg

They sleep im the trees.

35555267705_f40786f12f_b.jpg

June 6, Cartagena. Another beautiful spanish city. This time the ship docks right in the port downtown, no shuttle needed. Again we walked around the city, exploring. Here also we would certainly like to settle and spend years. Before this trip we mostly thought about Italy, but after discovering Spain, we fell in love with this country. Cartagena has beautiful architecture and a relax feeling. We have lunch in a street cafe, good but expensive, well it’s a tourist place. Did some shopping, bought each another pair of shoes and some jewellery for the lady. A relaxing day in a beautiful place.

When in Spain the ship’s buffet had a section with spanish food. We liked most of it except the paella, a plate full of rice covered with those strange sea creatures, not bad but I ate once, it was enough for me. There was also a night with flamenco dancers.

Our ship sure takes a lot of room in the port.

35424092171_37596533d1_b.jpg

In the port of Cartagena we saw this gigantic modernistic sail boat. After some research I learned that it's called Sailing Yacht A and belongs to russian billionaire Andrey Igorevich Melnichenko. It's worth about $400 millions!

35424082971_d1cdaeb422_b.jpg

35424095421_ce77f15649_b.jpg

When we arrived there was some military ceremony in the port. Notice the big russian yacht in the background.

35424082401_a97070b885_b.jpg

35167536880_5dd0769fd0_b.jpg

35554301335_eaa6cc72a3_b.jpg

Enjoying your review. What I notice most about the great photos is your DW's lovely smile; looks like you are having such a great time. Also .... mmmmussels! Yum!

We were also on this cruise. About Barcelona - we didn't walk it; we took the shuttle, then public transport - buses and subway - and it was fine. My husband did lots and lots of research and we bought pre-booked tickets to Parc Guell, Sagrada Familia and Casa Pedrera. Wonderful places. Parc Guell - good you didn't walk since the free parts are not as interesting as the parts where an entrance ticket is needed. And they are time limited.

Beth

Jun 7, Ibiza. The ship docks some distance from the city of Eivissa, 15 minutes by shuttle bus. At the tourist office we take a map and head for Dalt Vila, the old town. This city is somewhat different from the others we saw in Spain, more “rustic”, white buildings, seems less developed, but nice and interesting. It was the only morning we had a cloudy sky, but it cleared before noon. We walked, visited, did some shopping, drank a glass of the best sangria ever. It was our last port, then back to Rome.

35518520456_2fb91e8e20_b.jpg

35169821580_3c3d065bdf_b.jpg

34747747573_8b3793e180_b.jpg

34747720553_0d7dd32a69_b.jpg

35169789140_db029c16d1_b.jpg

35556465755_53f71d1661_b.jpg

I am loving your review and photos! We have been to many of these places but not all so it is helpful and full of memories for me. And I love your wife's style....she wears an easy, beautiful smile so well!

Conclusion: my conclusion will be very short, we had a perfect cruise, marvelous vacations. It was our third cruise with Celebrity, and I think it was the best one. Service was always excellent throughout the ship. So was the food, buffet or MDR, I think a notch over our last cruise on Silhouette in Caribbeans (maybe because it came from Europe).

If I had to do some nitpicking about details, I would say some food in buffet was not always warm enough, the classic beverage package does not include any sparkling water (San Pellegrino or any other), also we had a door slammer neighbour (what can you do about that?)

I read some say quality has been declining on Celebrity, that’s not the feeling we had, for us this cruise was a pleasure from start to finish, the best so far and we look forward to our 14 nights cruise on Eclipse next spring.

Claude & Claudette

34748683113_537992fcb5_b.jpg

34748684663_31e5d721af_b.jpg

35518519916_ce4f0ef510_b.jpg

Thank you for this review - we are onboard Reflection monday, doing the Western Med.

I can see the first chic night was in Villefranche - when was the second? Sorry if I have missed the information.

Thank you.

Claudart,

Hope you don't mind me asking another question, but did you have VAT tax for on board purchases? Trying to decide if I want to upgrade my drink package before the cruise or once on board. If there is a VAT tax, it might be better for me to do so before boarding! Thanks

Patti