Norovirus on the Splendour

Cruiser723

Great to know...great ideas! I always 409 all surfaces (remotes, keyboards, door knobs, etc.) after someone in our home has been sick, and would not have thought about disinfecting our cabin!!!! We will be on Splendour in Jan., and I will definetly be packing some of those pop up sanitizeing wipes to wipe down room surfaces!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder how long this virus survives on a surface???????

You know something-I stopped cruising between Nov.-Feb., because I have noticed far more outbreaks in the cold winter months-maybe I'm wrong, but it does seem to make its rounds during winter. Plus, I get my yearly cold in December or early Jan., and had to cancel a cruise in 2003 because of that, so I have stopped sailing during cold & flu season.

Maybe that's why my Sept 05 cruise was ruined (and re-scheduled) by the series of 05 storms, so I am now sailing the Freedom in June instead (no complaints from me on that one, I galdly sacrificed my 9/05 Mariner cruise once I realized I could replace it with 6/06 Freedom).

So I can't sail Nov-Feb for fear of sickness, and I can't sail July-Oct. for fear of storms-that leaves me the choices of Mar., April, May or June!!

Geez-can't a girl get a nice vacation around here!!:D

:mad: 'Tis a pity to lay out all your hard-earned dosh, and then come a cropper, struck down by some bug that you cannot see.

:) In answer to your question, No, we haven't had the pleasure of meeting this bug, But we strongly recommend the following:

Wash your hands often, especially before meals and after using the bathroom. Oh, you say, this is nothing but common sense . . . yes it is, but you'd be surprised at how many cruisers don't observe this bit of hygiene. Therefore, the door handle (lever, push plate, whatever) is usually contaminated in the bogs, so CARRY A HAND SANITIZER AND USE IT. Also it's a good idea to place a towel (paper or otherwise) twixt your hands and the door when exiting the necessaries. You cannot keep your hands so clean. Knock on wood, we've never been sick on a ship with one exception . . . my Tiger Cruise on a strike destroyer . . . three days of extreme discomfort, but that's another story. Keeping hands germ free cannot be overemphasized.

PREVIOUS CRUISES:

Jun 1989, RIVER CRUISES, -- Paddlewheeler Julia Belle Swain, GD

Sep 1993, US NAVY TIGER CRUISE, USS Halsey CG23, HI-CA, EXC

Nov 1997, CAPT. COOK CRUISES, Murray Princess, Australia, EXC

Jan.1993, RCL Majesty of the Seas 1st big cruiseship, we were green

May 1998, US NAVY TIGER CRUISE, USS Fife DD 191, HI-WA, EXC

Apr 1998, US NAVY TIGER CRUISE, USS Fife DD 191, HI-WA, EXC

May 1999, DELTA QUEEN STEAMBOAT CO, Delta Queen, EXC

Sep 2000, US NAVY TIGER CRUISE, USS Fife DD 191, HI-WA, EXC

May 2001, HAL Maasdam. E. Caribbean, VD

Feb 2002, HAL Rotterdam, S. Caribbean, exc. ship decor, EXC

May 2002, CARNIVAL Pride, W. Caribbean, garish decor, VG

Sep 2002, CELEBRITY, Mercury, Panama Canal, Rail & Sail FR

Dec 2002, CARNIVAL Spirit, E. Caribbean, nice decor, VERY GD

Apr 2003, HAL Statendam, CA-HI, good all around, VERY GD

Aug 2003, CARNIVAL Paradise, E. Carib., non-smoking ship, EXC

Sep 2003, CARNIVAL Paradise, W. Carib., non-smoking ship, EXC

Dec 2003, HAL Noordam, E. & S. Caribbean, VG

Mar 2004, HAL Volendam, W. Caribbean Wayfarer, VG

May 2004, MSC, Lirica, West Indies, GOOD

Nov 2004, HAL Prinsendam, 28-day Amazon River Explorer, VG

Feb 2005, CARNIVAL Glory, E. Caribbean, POOR

Mar 2005, CARNIVAL Glory, W.Caribbean, POOR

July 2005, CARNIVAL Miracle, W. Caribbean, EXC

COMING UP

Dec 2005 RCL Mariner of the Seas, E. Caribbean

Apr 2006 HAL Ryndam, S. Caribbean INCLUDING ARUBA!

Sep 2006 CARNIVAL Sensation, Bahamas (a short one)

with Nirovirus as stated by Purell & other companies. Hot water & soap lathering for over a minute & a 1 minutes rinse will work. So these sanitation stations are over little help.

On Summit 11/20-12/4 is sounded like pneumonia ward in the showroom with all the coughing going on. Even a performer mentioned feeling like he is choking with coughing all day 7 night. Many folks agreed. Luckily not us!

The sanitation stations use alcohol - not antibiotics. They do work against both viruses and bacteria . . . kill 'em dead! Certainly, hand washing as you suggest also is effective - but, not too many people spend two plus minutes handwashing:) (particularly when they are rushing to the buffet to get the food before it is all devoured by other hungry cruisers).

For the life of me I can not understand why RCI would wait until they have an outbreak to bring the sanitizer out or rush to put it away. I guess they never heard of an ounce of prevention.

Archived