Amsterdam - Car Rental in Anchorage?

Overtime4me2

Does anyone have any recent experience with renting a car in Anchorage for the day before returning to the ship? We booked late, and not sure whether to get a car at the airport, or downtown? We will have about 15 hrs in port and would like to drive around the area to sightsee. I'm just wondering the best way to do that. Call for a taxi at the ship to car rental? and back? Or, I understand HAL has a shuttle to the Eagan Ctr, then taxi to car rental and back? What time does the shuttle stop running to the ship? (sorry for all the questions ;p )

I've searched the HAL board and haven't found much current info. Saw some info from a few yrs ago and not sure if it's still good info. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

It's been 3 years since we did this, and it may also depend on just how far you plan to drive that day. We drove to Seward and back, with a Kenai Fjords boat trip in the middle. We took a taxi from the ship to the car rental, and then called the taxi service for a pick up after dropping the car off. The rental place was closed by the time we returned the car,which we rented from an agency downtown.

Infinitiandbeyond, I think that was the name, rented car in Anchorage. It is in his very recent post. Talks about it and should give you good information.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Does anyone have any recent experience with renting a car in Anchorage for the day before returning to the ship? We booked late, and not sure whether to get a car at the airport, or downtown? We will have about 15 hrs in port and would like to drive around the area to sightsee. I'm just wondering the best way to do that. Call for a taxi at the ship to car rental? and back? Or, I understand HAL has a shuttle to the Eagan Ctr, then taxi to car rental and back? What time does the shuttle stop running to the ship? (sorry for all the questions ;p )

I've searched the HAL board and haven't found much current info. Saw some info from a few yrs ago and not sure if it's still good info. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Sue,

We have rented a car in Anchorage a couple of times before. Have one reserved for our August Amsterdam cruise. We use Enterprise, 906 E 5th Ave,.. They will pick you up. Call to make sure the details on that.

I suggest you reserve early as there are limited cars available, not sure how many ships will be in port.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise!!;p

Karen

Thrifty has a midtown location. They will pick up at the Anchorage Port gate or at the downtown museum. They have a key drop for after hours. They are open 8- 7pm. They are on 3730 Spenard Rd. 907-276-2855.

Infinitiandbeyond, I think that was the name, rented car in Anchorage. It is in his very recent post. Talks about it and should give you good information.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Yep, I rented a car in Anchorage a couple weeks ago. We called the enterprise downtown. Its on 5th ave about 10 blocks straight down the street from where the ship shuttle drops you off at the West Mark Hotel (also on 5th). Call their direct number, not the national 800, they offered to pick us up but we chose to walk. It was a nice day and we saw a bit of the city. They have an after hours drop box, so no need to hurry back before closing. There is a gas station right there too. Made for an easy return.

Edited by infinitiandbeyond
Add extra details

Thank you!

We HAVE rented a car in DOWNTOWN Anchorage with Avis Rental Cars (441 "B" Street) as well as Enterprise Downtown (906 E 5th Avenue). You take the free HAL shuttle bus from the port to Downtown and walk the few blocks to get the car...easy peazy and great rates. The sooner you book the better. This next year we will be using Avis again thru AvisAlaska.com and have a great rate. There is SO MUCH to see on your own in Anchorage and can put keys in the after-hours box and walk back to drop off HAL center for free bus ride back....Book as soon as you can. No money down. We booked a full size car for $53 for the day!!! PS you will NOT want to reserve in Anchorage by the airport because you would have to get an expensive taxi ride there and back just to get your vehicle....USE Downtown. Have a great trip.

Be sure, if you have time, to visit the Alyeska Aerial tram and eat lunch at the top at the Bore Tide Deli....great views, fun ride on tram, amazing time. Also recommend the Alaska Wildlife Conservation center for a great thing to visit on this route and Byron Glacier.....CAN'T WAIT to see it again!!

We have rented cars in Anchorage eight times, and always used a downtown location. The airport is pretty far away, and it seems the prices are higher there. We have used Avis and Enterprise. The advantage with Enterprise is they will pick you up at the ship. You just have to call them when you get off, or you can take a taxi if one is available. The last time we were there two years ago, the only taxis available at the port were ones that had been called. Like another poster, we always return the car after Enterprise closes, and just drop the key in the slot and call a taxi. That has always worked well for us.

We HAVE rented a car in DOWNTOWN Anchorage with Avis Rental Cars (441 "B" Street) as well as Enterprise Downtown (906 E 5th Avenue). You take the free HAL shuttle bus from the port to Downtown and walk the few blocks to get the car...easy peazy and great rates. The sooner you book the better. This next year we will be using Avis again thru AvisAlaska.com and have a great rate. There is SO MUCH to see on your own in Anchorage and can put keys in the after-hours box and walk back to drop off HAL center for free bus ride back....Book as soon as you can. No money down. We booked a full size car for $53 for the day!!! PS you will NOT want to reserve in Anchorage by the airport because you would have to get an expensive taxi ride there and back just to get your vehicle....USE Downtown. Have a great trip.

Be sure, if you have time, to visit the Alyeska Aerial tram and eat lunch at the top at the Bore Tide Deli....great views, fun ride on tram, amazing time. Also recommend the Alaska Wildlife Conservation center for a great thing to visit on this route and Byron Glacier.....CAN'T WAIT to see it again!!

Do you happen to remember what hours the shuttle runs to/from the ship/Egan (HAL) Center?

Thanks!