On Escape Nov 25 - Should we purchase Dining Package

Hi,

We are on Escape Nov 25 2017. It's our first NCL cruise. I took beverage package & pre paid tips as my perks. I also have 100 OBC. I've read a lot of people on these boards say some of the specialty restaurants are really good.

Is there any benefit in buying the packages online versus onboard?

Do they offer deals on board?

What size package would you recommend for 1st time cruiser on NCL.

Thank you so much for all your help.

Sue

The package costs $10 more onboard, so unless you want to use your OBC to purchase it then order it beforehand.

There are not any deals onboard these days.

We enjoy the speciality restaurants, but also think the included food is pretty good too. As a first timer I would recommend trying different places, including the MDRs and o'Sheehans. Food Republic is also very good (probably my favourite in the Escape). It is chargeable but not included in the dining package. For that reason I would suggest getting just a three meal package, if you get one at all. That gives you a few options for the speciality restaurants but still includes some days for included options.

I certainly don't think the speciality restaurants are essential though. Get a package if you want to, not because you feel you should.

If you know you're going to buy it, I would buy in advance to avoid standing in the dining line once you get onboard. Personally, I would buy three or maybe four nights max and do the standard dining rooms the other nights. On Escape, we enjoyed the regular dining rooms every bit as much as the specialties!

We loved the speciality restaurants. They are smaller, more intimate and more like nice restaurant dining. The MDR felt like banquet hall dining - solely speaking of experience, not food quality. We've taken 2 NCL cruises in the last year (Getaway and Escape) and have not actually eaten in the MDR for dinner. We tried once and were told "no, we can't do that" three times before we finished trying to order. We just left. NOT the experience we've had in speciality restaurants. We've had truly memorable meals and service in lovely, intimate spaces in the much smaller specialty venues. I highly recommend it! One of the things that made our cruise, for DH and I but also for our teen daughters who enjoy dressing up and a nice night out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk