QM2 Nov 26 Explorers Caribbean

tree29

Hi again,

Sorry it's been a few days since I posted. As you can imagine - just too many great things to do.

Going to fill you in on what's been happening first and then answer some of the specific questions.......

So, in no particular order

BRIAN PRICE

Brian is retiring in two cruises time. It was announced last night.

Promise? That would be just in time for our 3 Jan! although without him, what will we talk about!

We shall be sure to treat the new CD with kid gloves, understanding that he or she will be new!

MEDICAL CENTRE

I wan't planning on reporting on this but I have picked up a bug that is doing the rounds. A fair few people are coughing and have throat infections and seems I've got it too now.

Hope you're feeling better!

I got a sore throat and cough on my Christmas Cruise which turned into thrush from medication. I was miserable- could not swallow or drink! But, As I said, I'd rather be miserable (physically) on a cruise ship than marvelous at work!

A MUST DO TOUR

We took the Scenic Railway in St. Kitts and it is truly amazing. I would not hesitate to call this a MUST DO. The countryside is stunning (I actually cried at one point it was so beautiful) and everywhere you go there are kids running to wave at the train. There are free drinks on the train (including rum punch, pina colada) plus an onboard choir!! The commentary is also excellent - you really get a feel for the country. There were 150 people from Cunard on this one tour and everyone I spoke to agreed it was one of the best tours they had EVER taken.

I shall have to remember this. I had a neighbor from St Kitts, but never have gotten there. I do want to make it there one of these cruises! We alomost booked this one, but it was too close to our Key West vaca in Oct/Nov, and Marc simply coudn't take more time off so soon.

ACCIDENT ON TOUR

There is evidence of a few walking wounded from Tortola. I spoke to one of the ladies in the spa who said that it was a bad accident. The worst injury was a broken shoulder. It happened because the safari truck's breaks failed coming down a steep hill. Apparently they were very lucky as the driver knew an escape route and brought the vehicle under control, otherwise it would have been fatal.

How awful! and how marvelous such a skilled driver! I hope someone tipped him well!

SUSHI

There is fresh sushi most lunchtimes in Lotus, Kings Court . It is very good.

Thanks! We'll have to check it out!

GYM

Sorry not my thing. Havent been inside so cant answer questions on this.

I simply must comment! What is it lately with so many people posting about how early the gym opens and how soon you can jog on the promenade deck. These people need to remember they are on a vacation! They are supposed to eat, drink, party, dance, and then diet when they get home! <LOL>

Just kidding! But I DO think they are bragging! <G>

Thanks for the great update!

Hello Theresa...This is my first post and I just had to thank you for such helpful information. I have read many of your postings and appreciate your candor and insights. We have just this evening initiated booking for our first Cunard cruise on QM2. It's to be the 12/2/06 Caribbean and so your comments about this time period have been especially helpful to me as a newcomer. I know that I'll have many questions for the board as I've found it to be an invaluable asset in my decision to book this trip. I do hope you are feeling better and can continue to enjoy such a magnificant ship. Safe journey and I look forward to your next posting. Many thanks from an eager future Cunard cruiser! Penny

Hi Penny,

We are also booked on the Dec. 2, 2006 cruise. I think it is probably too early to start a Roll Call but look forward to chatting with you on Cruise Critic before the cruise. You have picked an excellent ship for your first cruise. This will be our third cruise on the QM2, so needless to say, we love the ship. Welcome.

Beth

Hi Penny,

We are also booked on the Dec. 2, 2006 cruise. I think it is probably too early to start a Roll Call but look forward to chatting with you on Cruise Critic before the cruise. You have picked an excellent ship for your first cruise. This will be our third cruise on the QM2, so needless to say, we love the ship. Welcome.

Beth

Hello Beth...Wow, this is great!!! I just hung up with our travel agent and the booking is on as i write. We'll be in Britannia somewhere on Deck 11. I'm sure I'll have SO many questions for you and the others. I've been reading all the past posts and gaining so much helpful info. I got a bit scared when one of the first postings I read was from a VERY unhappy, picky person that cruised the Splendors of the Fall. I almost changed my mind but luckily read more from many of the obviously experienced Cunard cruisers and felt much better. This is my first Cunard experience but I did quite a few transatlantics growing up and want that wonderful liner experience again. I'm looking so forward to getting to know you over the next year....I'm already obsessed with this ship to the point of watching her sail from NY on the web cam!!! How will I wait a whole year??? Thanks so much for replying to me....I'm beside myself with excitement. Best, Penny

I simply must comment! What is it lately with so many people posting about how early the gym opens and how soon you can jog on the promenade deck. These people need to remember they are on a vacation! They are supposed to eat, drink, party, dance, and then diet when they get home! <LOL>

Just kidding! But I DO think they are bragging! <G>

Thanks for the great update!

Not bragging - spouse has health issues that he can't leave at home!

Not bragging - spouse has health issues that he can't leave at home!

Oh, all right then, He is excused! I do admit that on my first cruise I did the mile every morning and went to the gym every day. (And I am not a gym person) If I knew you and felt comfortable (this is my sneaky way of getting in the joke) I'd say - yeah- Mental health issues- He needs to leave the rat race behind and learn to relax! But I don't really know you so I won't say that! (See, I told you I was sneaky!)

Seriously, I hope his health is improving and continues to do so. Not sure of the problem (and it's none of my business) and there are a plethora of problems that could dictate that one needs to do certain exercises without even so much as a week off. Some people have muscle and cartilege diseases that cause their muscles to tighten and limbs, fingers, etc to curl up, painfully, if not stretched regularly. I do not mean to make light of anyone's physical issues. I have quite a few of my own, and have acted as an advocate for the disabled. I am all too aware that many people often have hidden disabilities or conditions which could become disabilities if not kept in check.

Enjoy your cruise. Hopefully he can find a time to use the promenade deck when is path is unimpeded, yet he is not impacting late sleepers below him. I think you will find ample room in the gym and use of the machines, the only times I have had problems is when a class is being held in the room. Usually the machines are off to the sides, and not in the main floor area, but it isn't always comfortable to be on the treadmill or the bike when there is a gaggle of aerobics practictoners bouncing to dreadful disco tunes, or God-forbid, the horrid elementary school gym classic "Go You Chicken Fat ,Go!"

<LOL>

Karie

Hi again,

OK I know I said I wouldnt post again but what do you know it's the 2nd last day and I'm in Connexions !!

Very little else to report on now. We saw Appasionata last night and it was brilliant. Its a dance display show and the dancers are superb.

Also wanted to recommend a couple of nice restaurants that we found at port...

Barbados - "Opa" in the Shak Shak complex in Rockley (any taxi driver could find this from this description). Its about 15 mins from the dock and is a greek restaurant partly set over the waters edge on a tiny stretch of beach. Its casual dress with simple greek food well cooked in a stunning location. You can literally sit on a deck over the sea and listen to the waves a couple of feet below you. Expect to pay $70 per couple for lunch including drinks.

St. Thomas - cant remember the name of this place, but VERY easy to find. Cross the road from where the tender drops you off at the pedestrian crossing (Island Latte will be dead ahead - nice ice mocha!). Turn right along the main road, along the taxi rank, pass Hibiscus alley on the left and its the next alley on the left. There is a casual lunch place on your right. It serves pizza, salad, pasta and excellent cocktails - I warmly recommend a mango tango. Cant remember the price but was reasonable.

Anyway have fun and I wish we were about to head off now not head home.

Best wishes,

Teresa

Teri, thanks for all your help and insights. Weather forecast for thursday and friday New York City low 28 degree farenheit high 35 farenheit. Chilly with slight chance of snow. It will be cold when you arrive dress warm. Sun is shining in New York but windy.

Have a safe trip home:) .

Marty

To THERESA...am really looking forward to your follow-up review on your return. It's been great enjoying the trip from your postings and getting ideas for ours next year. I'm sure I will have many first-timer questions for you...probably all very silly ones but this will be all new to us. Thanks again for taking your time to keep all of us readers informed.

To BETH (Imacruizer)--It's been a very long time since my crossings as a child. We would go home to Norway for summers with my Grandparents and since this QM2 cruise is to celebrate my husband's 65th, you can see it's been a long time. I loved those old Norwegian liners...sailed many times on SS Stavangerfjord which I adored, and still do, the way so many Cunarders seem to adore the QE2...also the Swedish Gripsholm and NAL Bergensfjord.The only cruise I got my husband on was about 20 years ago on NCL and it was such a disappointment he didn't want to hear the word cruise again. But now I have him as excited as I am and we just got our cabin number this morning....11059. And the best news was a call from our oldest, dearest friends who surprised us by booking also (in 11038) so they can celebrate with us. I am bouncing off the walls with excitement and wonder how I'll be able to wait a whole year!!Thankfully I'll have Cruise Critics to keep me company and keep me informed. Look forward to chatting more with you and some of the others who I feel that I know from their many postings. Penny

Hi Beth...Found the Roll Call board and have responded to you there. Look forward to chatting there and hope others will be joining us.

Hi Theresa....thought of you having to leave the ship as I watched her on a web cam this morning. Hopt the rest of the trip was as grand as the beginning and looking forward to hearing your report and hopefully boring you with questions as we are booked for 12/2/06.

Thanks to all you cruise critics for helping me choose the Queen for our special celebration. All your past postings have been invaluable.

Penny

Archived