Cuba Paradise June 29th

Jdfireman

So much easier for expats who live abroad. I just take an inexpensive round trip from Cancun to Havana. Stayed in a B&B type home, limited to 1-3 rooms. It was awesome and plan to go again soon. When flying, the Cuba tourist card was only $20

Can you clarify the excursion situation? My pvp told me when I booked two weeks ago that no excursions were required (through Carnival or otherwise). John Heald's live fb thing from yesterday implied that you can't get off the ship without having an excursion arranged. I know we are supposed to do a p2p thing, but was hoping to just get off the ship and find a driver/guide to show us around.

Unfortunately many people aren't clear on this if you look at the review there's a name of a tour company and they built us a person-to-person tour they were very reliable and we definitely met a lot of locals with them they make a suggestion on the tour but you can change it as you go and we felt having a English-speaking Cuban guy definitely gave us great person to person again this is our opinion good

Nice review, but why all the bragging about how much you tipped? Try leaving that out next time.

I did not personally interpret that as "bragging" but instead as a baseline for individuals interested in knowing what could be an appropriate tip for that high quality of service.

I did not personally interpret that as "bragging" but instead as a baseline for individuals interested in knowing what could be an appropriate tip for that high quality of service.

Ok, appropriate tips is 10-15% for meals, and 2 - 5 CUC's for tour guilds. Expectations for tips in Cuba as well as many places are less than other areas, but generally, there is no need to say how much one tipped, but maybe discuss what is the expected amounts. It seems many people throw in what they did, vs. what is expected or normal for a country. The review is good, but it should not include how much one decides to tip. I mean, when you talk to a person about a restaurant at home, do you say, the price is this, but I gave a 22% tip because it was good? Most likely not. Just leave the tips private, and give a honest review of the food, type of service, compare it to other places etc. That's what we want to hear!!!

Nice review, but why all the bragging about how much you tipped? Try leaving that out next time.

Ty for your thoughts. It was not bragging. I was raised on good values and always try to pay it forward. But as I said it's social media people are going to beat me up.. Safe travels to all

I enjoyed reading your review, a bit disappointed you didn't include pictures though.

I'm wondering why they wouldn't let people off the ship if they didn't have a tour booked though. So if I person/couple/family just wanted to get off the ship and walk around on their own and do some shopping that wouldn't be allowed? Not somewhere I would want to go if you can't do that, as many times that's all we want to do in certain ports. Or get off and take a cab and have the driver show us the sights.

I'm wondering why they wouldn't let people off the ship if they didn't have a tour booked though. So if I person/couple/family just wanted to get off the ship and walk around on their own and do some shopping that wouldn't be allowed?

I thought the visa you are required to have in Cuba carries "people-to-people" regulations i.e. you are there to learn. That's why you have to be on a booked tour...unless there is a self-certify option on the visa.

Thank you for the review. We would have loved to be in that Chevy convertible, too!

We hope to go in early 2019, if the cruises are still going there. Hopefully the kinks will all be worked out by then.

I enjoyed reading your review, a bit disappointed you didn't include pictures though.

I'm wondering why they wouldn't let people off the ship if they didn't have a tour booked though. So if I person/couple/family just wanted to get off the ship and walk around on their own and do some shopping that wouldn't be allowed? Not somewhere I would want to go if you can't do that, as many times that's all we want to do in certain ports. Or get off and take a cab and have the driver show us the sights.

Sorry about the Pictures I have over 1000 of them. I am working on it..

You can get off the ship with out a booked tour.. CCL let all the people off with cruise line tours first.

All the Cuban government asked for was your visa so they could load you into the system

We did our own person to person tour. We have documents to back it up if the USA wants to audit me in the 5 year period

I am sorry If i confused you.... I wrote the review while I was on the second cruise LOL

I thought the visa you are required to have in Cuba carries "people-to-people" regulations i.e. you are there to learn. That's why you have to be on a booked tour...unless there is a self-certify option on the visa.

All the Visa asks is your name DOB passport #

The Affidavit that is collected from you at check in IN Tampa you have to fill out what type of Person to Person your doing either self guided or a cruiseline tour.

The regulations are driven by the US government

Again this is how we read it. So were we wrong as of now no we made it home with out meeting the man with the rubber glove

I appreciate your thorough review. I have Canadian friends who have been vacationing in Cuba for years and they say it's beautiful and the people are friendly.

It's fun to hear about the cruising experience. It's something I've been idly considering but the Fathom held no interest for me.

Thanks for taking the time to describe your trip.

Thanks for the review! I live in Tampa, and love seeing the Paradise when it is in port. I drive down Channel Side on the days she's in port on my way home from work so I can feel like I'm a little closer to my next cruise.

I am on the Paradise sailing August 14th, so it was nice to read this review. Can you tell me if you are required to carry your passport with you while onshore in Cuba?

You have to have your passport with you at all times while ashore in Cuba. You can't go through Cuban Immigration without it. You have to hand your passport and visa to the Immigration officer at the pier, and then when you return to the ship you also go through immigration again and they require your passport. The ship staff also wanted to see a passport in your hand and visible when you carded out through the security station.

You have to have your passport with you at all times while ashore in Cuba. You can't go through Cuban Immigration without it. You have to hand your passport and visa to the Immigration officer at the pier, and then when you return to the ship you also go through immigration again and they require your passport. The ship staff also wanted to see a passport in your hand and visible when you carded out through the security station.

Thank you so much!! I asked this on other boards, and couldn't get a straight answer ;p

Can you tell me if you are required to carry your passport with you while onshore in Cuba?

We issue you your Cuban Visa here at the check in counter where we also advise that when arriving in Havana to please have your issued visa prepared along with your passport and of course your sail and sign card too in order to debark.

Hoping to see you here soon!