Nora virus on Constellation June 15th sailing

Jsum

Fact - Cruises, Daycare centers, and senior centers (both traditional and those with day programs) are all hot beds for Noro. Classic risk factors. Why are we disputing this fact?

I simply expect Celebrity to have an older population and less kids. They aren't CCL or disney. Hence my initial comment. Yes children who attend day care centers are a risk factor, but I expect that to be less of an issue since this is Celebrity. Since that is not likely given the population, it is more likely that someone is a carrier from having senior citizens who frequent senior citizen facilities, which there are a wide variety of. You don't have to be severely disabled to go to one. As I have said, there are a lot of day programs where people have a lot of function. Have you actually been to them recently? They have a lot going on.

As for being a germophobe...noro is self limiting and won't kill me as long as I stay hydrated (not hard to do with room service)

But rabies can kill me.

Hence why I avoid caves. Not worth it for me. Feel free to go if you choose. I don't judge you for going, but why are you judging me? IDK if the cruise ship or the island have rabies shots. And even if they do, IDK if they are expired or have been stored properly. Why does how I will spend my vacation bother you? :rolleyes:

I specifically said that there was no judgment on my part. Your assessment of older passengers and immune systems is just incorrect. Your assumptions are ludicrous.

Cruise ships are not a good choice for people who are ultra worried about catching noro virus. It happens on occasion because unfortunately people do not follow even basic hygiene practices. It's a contained environment with circulated air and many choose to eat in the buffet.

And fyi.... the caves in Bermuda don't have bats. They are well lit. It's not the same as raw caves.

And you are right...I don't care how you spend your vacation. Enjoy...whatever you do.

I specifically said that there was no judgment on my part. Your assessment of older passengers and immune systems is just incorrect. Your assumptions are ludicrous.

Cruise ships are not a good choice for people who are ultra worried about catching noro virus. It happens on occasion because unfortunately people do not follow even basic hygiene practices. It's a contained environment with circulated air and many choose to eat in the buffet.

And fyi.... the caves in Bermuda don't have bats. They are well lit. It's not the same as raw caves.

And you are right...I don't care how you spend your vacation. Enjoy...whatever you do.

This website says that there are bats that migrate there:

http://environment.bm/species-spotlight/2009/10/6/bats-in-bermuda.html

CDC tells us how they are transmitted:

https://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/about/transmission.html

"Norovirus can spread quickly in closed places like daycare centers, nursing homes, schools, and cruise ships. Most norovirus outbreaks happen from November to April in the United States."

Defnition of Immunosenescence

"Immunosenescence, defined as the changes in the immune system associated with age..."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2265901/

These are just facts (not alternative facts)

Checkmate

I'd love to hear your response :cool:

Old and worn does not equal dirty and germy.

I'm sorry you were ill, but it really isn't about the ship...it's about the people.

I never said it was caused by the ship, i said the ship was old and worn out and yes when things are old and worn out they are dirty (new carpet does not contain dirt and dander like old carpet). I put this up to find out if others on my cruise were sick, not to have people give their opinion on a ship and cruise they weren't even on.

Thanks

I was on the Noro cruise but luckily avoided the bug. I carry my own antiviral and use it religiously after getting the bug a few years ago on a different cruise line - in fact it made me OCD.

I was impressed with the cleaning after the outbreak on the 15th June cruise. Menus were removed and any paper items, i.e. Future cruise sheets etc were taken away. They removed the wooden chairs at the top deck burger bar for spraying and replaced them with plastic ones.

The drinking glasses in the cabin were taken away on the last day of the cruise and replaced with paper cups and all cushions, magazines etc were removed from the cabin. The new robes that usually appear in the wardrobe on the last night were not put there.

When we were disembarking there were several cabins with hazmat staff doing a thorough clean - I presume the cabins where passengers had the bug. Also luggage from passengers with the bug was wrapped in a plastic film and separate area at the collection point. They also delayed embarkation of the next set of passengers in order to do a thorough clean.

I was surprised that they asked ill passengers to go to the medical centre because surely they would be spreading it en route. When it happened to me a few years ago the doctor came to my cabin.

The staff were obviously overstretched due to the bug but in our experience they were all very good.

I was on the 15th June Cruise and I commend the work of the crew, They were overstretched but worked really hard to control the outbreak. I don't find them grumpy as reported in an earlier post.

I heard second hand of two families who had the bug and decided to "self medicate" as they had paid for their cruise and weren't going too miss anything by being quarantined. That attitude doesn't help the crew in trying to control the outbreak.

I was on the Noro cruise but luckily avoided the bug. I carry my own antiviral and use it religiously after getting the bug a few years ago on a different cruise line - in fact it made me OCD.

I was impressed with the cleaning after the outbreak on the 15th June cruise. Menus were removed and any paper items, i.e. Future cruise sheets etc were taken away. They removed the wooden chairs at the top deck burger bar for spraying and replaced them with plastic ones.

The drinking glasses in the cabin were taken away on the last day of the cruise and replaced with paper cups and all cushions, magazines etc were removed from the cabin. The new robes that usually appear in the wardrobe on the last night were not put there.

When we were disembarking there were several cabins with hazmat staff doing a thorough clean - I presume the cabins where passengers had the bug. Also luggage from passengers with the bug was wrapped in a plastic film and separate area at the collection point. They also delayed embarkation of the next set of passengers in order to do a thorough clean.

I was surprised that they asked ill passengers to go to the medical centre because surely they would be spreading it en route. When it happened to me a few years ago the doctor came to my cabin.

The staff were obviously overstretched due to the bug but in our experience they were all very good.

What antiviral do you carry and use? To my knowledge there is no effective anti-viral drug treatment for norovirus infection. This is confirmed by the CDC (link below). Are you treating symptoms like nausea and diarrhea instead?

https://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/about/treatment.html

They changed a few restaurants and updated the suites, everything else is the same, they didn't udpate the entire ship. The carpet on our deck was gross, it needs some work desperately, it's old

And they had propulsion problems immediately after the drydock causing a delay to the first cruise of a couple if days.

What antiviral do you carry and use? To my knowledge there is no effective anti-viral drug treatment for norovirus infection. This is confirmed by the CDC (link below). Are you treating symptoms like nausea and diarrhea instead?

https://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/about/treatment.html

In the U.K. From Boots pharmacy. They used to have an actual anti viral hand sanitizer which I thought was brilliant. It actually gave you two hours protection after each use. It kept me noro free for 10 years.

However they discontinued this and have replaced it with an anti bacterial sanitizer which I didn't have much faith in because norovirus is obviously a virus and not bacterial. However they actually state on the bottle effective against norovirus. So I used that all the time , after touching anything and before eating etc. It worked this time, so fingers crossed for the future!