Passport Renewal Timeframe

Since people seem to always want to know how long it really takes to get a passport renewed... This was done with the normal fees and processing (no expedited service, no upcoming travel mentioned), normal USPS priority mailings, and nothing special requested. My passport was due to expire in August, but I don't imagine recently expired ones take that much longer.

My original passport book with my still-valid visas in is back in my hands. That's the final piece. So, all told, a simple passport renewal took a little over two weeks from the day I mailed the application (to Philadelphia) to get the new passport book (from Tucson), almost three weeks to get the passport card (from South Carolina), and just over three to get the old passport book back (from Virginia). Including a national holiday. This timeframe may have been shortened by filling out the application form on the department of state website first, then printing out the filled one to mail in, as that may have started their clock processing it early. Still, that's an option for most people that haven't had their old one expired for more than a decade and haven't changed names, so it's not a bad benchmark.